Play Book Tag discussion

Underground Airlines
This topic is about Underground Airlines
Archive: Other Books > Underground Airlines - Ben Winters 4/5

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole D. (last edited Oct 24, 2016 11:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nicole D. | 1490 comments This is a bounty hunter tale, with a major twist. It's modern day, but Lincoln didn't get to finish the task of abolishing slavery before his assassination. There are constitutional amendments guaranteeing that slavery can NEVER be abolished. Makin' America Great Again.

There are minimal civil rights. Even in the states which have gotten rid of slavery, a very distinct prejudice can exist, for example "Whites only" restaurants. Black people can be searched at any time and have their "papers" checked, to ensure they aren't a runaway slave. And what happens to runaway slaves? Our protagonist (a black man) has been conscripted to find them.

An interesting book with an well-crafted alternate reality and characters who have to make ethical choices we couldn't even dream of. Would be a great book for book club discussion.

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments sounds good. I've been debating whether I should read this book.

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments It is good in my opinion. Definitely worthwhile.

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6543 comments Wish I read this instead of The Underground Railroad . . .it sounds more like it pushed the boundaries.

Nicole D. | 1490 comments Anita wrote: "Wish I read this instead of The Underground Railroad . . .it sounds more like it pushed the boundaries."

I'm going to read that too.

message 6: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 841 comments Glad to see your review! My book club did just choose this as one of our discussion books.

Sarah | 195 comments I'm a huge fan of this author. Can't wait to get around to this one.