Laurie R. King Virtual Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived General > Holiday Reads

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin (tangential1) | 1638 comments Mod
We're almost at the end of October, the time when everyone starts thinking about holidays. I kind of love this time of year for all the holiday themed movies and episodes of television shows, which are rewatched annually. I can't even count how many times I've watched The Santa Clause or Home Alone. But I don't seem to have many books that get revisited for the holidays. Except maybe 'Twas the Night Before Christmas.

Do you have any bookish holiday traditions? Or have there been some series that you've enjoyed that had a holiday themed book?

message 2: by Merrily (new)

Merrily | 1791 comments Mod
Erin wrote: "We're almost at the end of October, the time when everyone starts thinking about holidays. I kind of love this time of year for all the holiday themed movies and episodes of television shows, which..."

I'm not particularly into holiday reads per se, but I did love Rhys Bowen's "The Twelve Clues of Christmas" which was one of the better Christmas mysteries I've ever read. (It's in her Lady Georgie series.) And of course, "A Christmas Carol" always merits another read!

message 3: by Lenore (new)

Lenore | 1078 comments As a non-celebrant of Christmas, I'm really not into Christmas-themed books. That said, one of my very favorite authors feels differently, and so I would recommend to you Connie Willis's collection of short stories, Miracle and Other Christmas Stories. The title story, "Miracle," is truly charming. Willis has also written an equally charming Christmas novella, All Seated on the Ground. I could be wrong here, but I think the majority of our list would find either or both well worth a read.

message 4: by Lenore (new)

Lenore | 1078 comments Willis also has a well-reviewed Christmas-themed short story (which I confess I have not read) in The Winds of Marble Arch and Other Stories, "Just Like the Ones We Used To Know," which also is available here: http://tinyurl.com/gse8tl7

message 5: by Merrily (new)

Merrily | 1791 comments Mod
Lenore wrote: "Willis also has a well-reviewed Christmas-themed short story (which I confess I have not read) in The Winds of Marble Arch and Other Stories, "Just Like the Ones We Used To Know," whic..."

I haven't read these, but I am a big fan of Connie Willis, so I wouldn't doubt that they are good!

message 6: by Bardbooks (last edited Oct 25, 2016 06:25AM) (new)

Bardbooks | 79 comments Erin wrote: "We're almost at the end of October, the time when everyone starts thinking about holidays. I kind of love this time of year for all the holiday themed movies and episodes of television shows, which..."

Funny you should ask ... ;)
I'm curating an assortment of atypical seasonal reads for my "Holidaze Book Club." I'll send ya an invite!
UPDATE: Here's the link, for anyone interested:
https://www.goodreads.com/group/invit...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.