Fans of British Writers discussion

General Discussions > Uplifting Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by E.M. (new)

E.M. Swift-Hook | 75 comments Which British author do you turn to when you are looking for some uplifting reading?

It might not be a writer of humour, although it might be, but more an author who leaves you at the end of the book feeling better about life than when you started it.

My offering would be the last series of books I found that did that for me : The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, by Alexander McCall Smith, although some people have told me he may not count as properly British....

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 24 comments Being the original butterfly brain there are a few....

Elizabeth Goudge: particularly The Little White Horse and The Dean's Watch.

Any Georgette Heyer.

Ellis Peters' Cadfael novels.

Any Terry Pratchett with the witches

message 3: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 602 comments I agree about Elizabeth Goudge. I also read children's classics to make me feel more cheerful, especially those with magic. Books by E. Nesbit, for example.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol | 133 comments I really like PG Wodehouse. The CatNappers is priceless!! But so are many other books of his. I love dry British humor.

message 5: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) | 102 comments I read and reread the last four Lord Peter Wimsey mystery novels by Dorothy L. Sayers, which contain an amazing love story with honor.

message 6: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 602 comments Alicia, One of my favourites is Gaudy Night.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol | 133 comments Yes, I pick up Sayers to read when I need to feel good. I really love Busman's Holiday, it is a sequel to Gaudy Night

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol | 133 comments Actually, it is called Busman's Honeymoon where Peter and Harriet Vane get married.

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago | 24 comments Alicia wrote: "I read and reread the last four Lord Peter Wimsey mystery novels by Dorothy L. Sayers, which contain an amazing love story with honor."

Also addicted to Peter and Harriet

message 10: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) | 102 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Alicia, One of my favourites is Gaudy Night."

I'm sure I've mentioned it excessively before, but those four novels - and Jane Eyre - are among the direct literary roots of Pride's Children, my debut novel.

In fact, I use them as a touchstone to determine if I should suggest mine to other readers.

message 11: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) | 102 comments Carol wrote: "Actually, it is called Busman's Honeymoon where Peter and Harriet Vane get married."

On the list of my favorite novels - I have every good part marked. Sometimes I just go straight to reading them.

Especially now, when I'm writing the second book in the trilogy, and need to be certain I'm on the right path.

message 12: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 41 comments Now I want to read Lord Peter. I've had it for years and I've read a dozen of the other books but the short stories are still on the shelf. Maybe before the end of the year. Always such a fun read. I loved Murder Must Advertise, Lord Peter in disguise.

message 13: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 602 comments There is a series of small town books by Miss Read, which are not exciting at all but very relaxing, like a visit with friends. I read them all years ago as they were being published. Two other writers in the same vein are D.E. Stevenson and Jane Duncan. I read the books in the 70's and 80's. In the 90's I discovered Agatha Christie and revisit her earlier mysteries for a relaxing read.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol | 133 comments Oh, I loved Murder Must Advertise Did you ever watch any of the Peter Wimsey series? They are all on video.

message 15: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 602 comments Carol, I watched both of the series when they were aired on PBS. I preferred the newer series, mainly because of the character Harriet Vane. The actress was perfect for the role.