Book of the Month Club discussion

Was there a lesson that could be taken away from Martin's life? What was it and why is it important to you?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marykate (new)

Marykate | 21 comments .

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 33 comments Mod
I think one of the lessons taken from his life is to not give up hope. Things could change and turn around for you in an instant and set you on a new path. This is important in my own life because living with bipolar disorder makes you want to just give up sometimes when it gets too difficult, but then I can remember stories like Martin's and hold on to a little bit of hope that things will soon be different. You just have to help change along a little bit.

message 3: by Marykate (new)

Marykate | 21 comments I think this book had many lessons. Not giving up, the gift of communication, hope. The practical lesson I will take away from this book is how I interact with disabled people. Subconsciously when I meet someone with a severe disability such as Martins I almost assume the disability transfers to him cognitively as well and without realizing treat them slightly different. This story will always now be in the forefront and I will no longer alter my actions from my own skewed assumptions.