The Dark Forest (Remembrance of Earth’s Past, #2) The Dark Forest discussion

Rey Diaz' heliophobia

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sébastien (last edited Oct 24, 2016 07:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sébastien Hi,

It is said somewhere in the book that wallfacer Rey Diaz suffers from heliophobia (fear of sun). I remember that we discover that at the end of a chapter.

Later, when his wallbreaker comes in and exposes its strategy, I think he briefly mentions that. It seems to be a minor key plot, but I totally don't get it. What is it all about? Does it have anything to do with Hines' "mental seal" ?

Thanks!

Sébastien I searched it up a bit further, and I re-read the part when Diaz meets the wallbreaker, who says:

“I can let you see the sun… [...] …because I know the cause of your condition. Mr. Rey Diaz, please believe me. You and I are the only ones in the world who know.”

But then, no clear explanation on that in the next pages. Is it loosely based on Diaz' own plan of making the sun engulf the whole solar system that brings this phobia to him ?

message 3: by Marsyao (last edited Nov 01, 2016 10:11AM) (new)

Marsyao Diaz's plane involves making all of planets of the solar system to falling into sun, that would causes sun to explode, thus destroying the living environment of the solar system. Hence the sun would be his ultimate weapon

Sébastien I understand that, but why would he fear his ultimate weapon?

...actually, that could be rationally explained, since he knows that his "success" will also cause his death ; looking at the sun, where he might end-up diving into with all the rest of humanity, would probably cause this sort of phobia. I think this might be the answer. It's probably self-explanatory in the book, but I missed that.

Thanks for the answer anyway!

message 5: by Forestal (new)

Forestal Sébastien wrote: "I understand that, but why would he fear his ultimate weapon?

...actually, that could be rationally explained, since he knows that his "success" will also cause his death ; looking at the sun, wh..."

I think you neglected to notice that all of the Wallfacers, except for Luo Ji, suffered massive amounts of stress and anxiety from not being able to communicate the world-changing plans they were cooking up in their heads-- Diaz' heliophobia, Tyler's suicide, etc-- I mean, isn't that why solitary confinement causes hallucinations and is used as an additional punishment in prisons?

Only a self-obsessed misanthrope like Luo Ji would have no qualms about freely indulging himself in his fantasies with complete disregard to humanity's fate-- a quality which made him (or made the Trisolarians believe he was) the perfect Swordholder!

The only way they managed to "get" Luo Ji was by sending an agent to play his dream girl and then destroying his dreams by re-calling her (& his son) as hostage-- which permanently screwed up Luo Ji (& his link/approach to humanity) and explains his preter-natural calm as he prepared to destroy 2 worlds.

I know a lot of people got bored/annoyed when the book got into Luo Ji's "dreamgirl/dreamland"-- but I believe "wtf?" is precisely the reaction the author intended (there are no traditional heroes/protagonists in the trilogy).....