Drop Everything And Read discussion

Debates > Book Covers

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by martin eden (new)

martin eden | 405 comments Hi everyone! I love books and I love book covers. When I don't know what to read, I often go to the library and let be seduced by a book cover. I like covers made by Chip Kidd or Peter Mendelsund for example.
A good book cover is attractive but doesn't reveal to much about the story. It may question the reader. i think that a great book cover is remembered long after the reading of the book. It's a story in itself.
And you, what is a good book cover for you?

message 2: by nadine (new)

nadine | 118 comments shatter me and not only the first book's cover but the whole seires'

message 3: by Hallie, I'm all about the books (new)

Hallie (inkyhallie) | 5469 comments Mod
I never liked the book cover of Shatter Me, nor the story. I like the book cover of the Selection (this is beautiful! The Selection (The Selection, #1) by Kiera Cass ), but once again, I didn't like the book. The entire series has pretty covers, but I don't think such a book deserved those pretty covers. Hence, never judge a book by its cover.

But I really love the cover of The Book Jumper by Mechthild Gläser , and it does have an interesting blurb, so I'm hoping the book will be as good as the cover.

message 4: by martin eden (new)

martin eden | 405 comments I like Chip Kidd's cover of his own novel The Cheese Monkeys. It's a rebus. And the inside is so great: he plays with typography, sounds, layout... His cover for Murakami's 1Q84 is interesting too.
I also like 1984 book cover made by Jon Gray for Penguin Edition: neither Orwell's name nor the title are shown.
I don't like covers made after movie adaptations, using film stills.

message 5: by S.T. (new)

S.T. Sanchez | 15 comments I like a more simplistic cover. I don't want a ton going on but i want something to catch my eye. I liked the twilight covers.

message 6: by D20 (new)

D20 | 162 comments Those big hoop skirt covers are certainly eye catching. I like certain colors or something that pops. Reading this one now A Spark of Justice by J.D. Hawkins which originally attracted me by the cover.

Some where the cover stands out are Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore Darkspire Reaches by C.N. Lesley

I've seen some great color art, but can't think of titles off the top of my head.

message 7: by Becca (new)

Becca Watts I usually like simplistic covers, such as the new Sarah Dessen covers. The title and author are very visible and the art is basically one icon that is an important part of the story.

Another book that really caught my eye is A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall. It is so clean and stylistic. I really like most of her covers!

message 8: by D20 (new)

D20 | 162 comments I found some of the ones I had in mind. These are mainly colors that work for me.

Treasure of Egypt Treasure of the Ancients by Barbara Ivie Green A Crown of Wishes (The Star-Touched Queen, #2) by Roshani Chokshi Heirs of Grace by Tim Pratt A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell, #1) by Deanna Raybourn Death Marked (Death Sworn, #2) by Leah Cypess White Heart (Merrydian's Gate, #1) by A.E. Wright Chasing Fireflies A Summer Romance Anthology by C.L. Cannon

em~thatdemmedelusivemurderess~ (thatdemmedelusivemurderess) | 9 comments I bought a book the other day that I'm reading, and the cover is gorgeous.
Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi
I've gotta say, it's a personal motto of mine when it comes to reading: ALWAYS judge a book by its cover.