Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Kindle Paperback Publishing

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Manda (new)

Manda Mellett (mandamellett) | 14 comments Just wondering whether anyone's tried, or in thinking of trying, Amazon's new POD service? Currently I use Createspace, but with a new book coming out this week, I'm wondering whether I should make the switch as having all my reports in one place sounds quite useful.

As it's still in beta it's not offering the full range of services yet. Just wondered what people's views are?

message 2: by Alicia (last edited Oct 24, 2016 07:11AM) (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) What new POD service?

This is the first I'm hearing about it.

Will check it out.

message 3: by Manda (new)

Manda Mellett (mandamellett) | 14 comments If you go to KDP it's on the home page. You'll see you've got a paperback setting as well as the kindle book setting, and the stats on the sales dashboard also have space for it now too. Think they added it over the weekend.

message 4: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) Checked one person's experience. It doesn't seem to be better than Createspace. I'm curious, but assume that Createspace is intimidating too many digital-only authors who think it is hard to use (it isn't THAT hard).

I liked Createspace because I always wanted Pride's Children to be in physical form without all the constraints that an ebook requires. My formatting is complex (http://www.amazon.com/Prides-Children... - and click on Look Inside, then page through the first ten pages).

To me, the ability to use italics and drop caps and headings and other stylistic choices (such as quotations in smaller text centered on the page) makes it feel more book-like. I had fun with that formatting, even learned a tiny bit of HTML. The print book is highly satisfying except for one or two small problems I will change asap.

Layout - the art of designing how the page looks to a reader - is one of my pet peeves when it is done poorly. I'm not an artist, but I know what works for me, and what I've found annoying in traditionally published books. I've done such things as pick a font where the italics take the same space as the regular letters - because many italic fonts are scrunched up in space.

I had the great fun of creating a prologue that looks like a New Yorker article, even found an extremely similar free font to the copyrighted one they use. Have a nice drop cap, same as they use to start articles. The ebook has the content - but not the form.

But many people have no interest in typography, and just want to make the ebook available quickly, and with little additional effort on their part - or they won't bother to create a print version.

This new POD service might work well for them. Print is still big with some readers.

message 5: by Manda (new)

Manda Mellett (mandamellett) | 14 comments That's interesting. I outsource the formatting as I also use drop capitals and different colours for headings and don't trust myself to do this. I want a professional look too.

I'll have to look into it further as I assumed as this would be in the uploaded file Amazon would publish it as such the same as Createspace.

message 6: by Ju (new)

Ju Ephraime (juephraime) | 96 comments That's a bit strange. CreateSpace is owned by Amazon, who owns KDP. Amazon wants to control all aspects of the indie publishing that way they can lead us by the nose. B&N is doing it, so why not try to take the couple dollars from B&N, then they'll change the rules every few months. Be careful what you wish for.