The Humour Club discussion

The Humour Club Author Spotlight > HC Author Spotlight: Lisa Shiroff

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joel (last edited Oct 24, 2016 06:14AM) (new)

Joel Bresler | 1545 comments Mod
Another manic Monday, another manic Humour Club author. Well, another author, anyway:

"Lisa Shiroff is a comedic fiction writer celebrating the often unnoticed but beautifully bizarre in life. A former grant writer, she also worked as a corporate freelance writer and graphic designer. Not only can she Photoshop her way into a royal wedding, but she can write a PR piece that will make a cat in a tattered wolf costume sound like a Westminster Dog Show champion. But when the struggle to keep her tongue out of her cheek gave her TMJ symptoms, she decided she'd had enough. It was time she joined the ranks of those intent on using humor to balance out the negatives in the universe. Now she is unleashing her comedic perspective on anyone willing to take the risk to read whatever she writes.

Having spent her formative years in small-town America, Lisa mastered the ability to amuse herself and others with tales about people we all wished lived next door (and some who really did). Now she’s bringing those stories to light in novels with funny characters experiencing sometimes inane circumstances and always finding happy endings (yes, she’s a sucker for them).

Almost living the American Dream, Lisa lives in south Jersey with her husband, two kids, and a dog. Alas, she has no picket fence."

message 2: by Brena (new)

Brena Mercer | 617 comments Lisa, your introduction to Ellipsis was fantastic. Thank you so much for writing that.

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 2420 comments Mod
Is it possible to say "living the American Dream" and "lives in Jersey" in the same sentence without that tongue-in-cheek-induced TMJ to which you refer?

message 4: by Brena (new)

Brena Mercer | 617 comments I have wondered what New Jersey is like. It is the butt of many jokes, but most agriculture areas are. It is the Garden State so there must be a garden somewhere. It can't be all bad as Princeton and Rutgers are there.

message 5: by Clint (new)

Clint Forgy (clintforgy) | 39 comments Jersey gets a bad rap but I've been through there enough when I was a trucker to know it's not horrible. There's some charming towns there, and I was amazed when I learned there are more horses per capita than any other state.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Shiroff | 840 comments Brena wrote: "Lisa, your introduction to Ellipsis was fantastic. Thank you so much for writing that."

Thanks, Brena! And your short story in it was wonderful.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Shiroff | 840 comments I just realized y'all were talking about me behind my back! Thank god it's not about that dress I wore over the weekend (I swear on everything holy: it looked good in the dressing room).

But to clear things up about Jersey -- I am a transplanted Jerseyian; as soon as my daughter graduates from high school in a couple of years, my tush is headed back to where it's warm all year 'round. Maybe. Because I just learned there's an exit tax . . . yes, they tax you to move out of this state. They tax the hell out of you in this state, which is really the worst part.

Well, taxes and Camden. Both probably tie for the worst part. Oh, and the air quality is really bad. So is the water. But hey! The water makes great hoagie rolls! So not all toxins are completely evil, which means . . .

Oh hell, who am I fooling? No one. Jersey is Jersey. It's not quite the armpit of the Universe, it's just actively vying for the title. And, you have NYC on one end and Philly on the other, which does soften the place a little. I'm close to Philly, where, if it didn't get cold in the winter, I would move. But alas, snow actually happens there.

Regardless, thanks for featuring me this week!

message 8: by Brena (new)

Brena Mercer | 617 comments It is pretty hard for anyone to take a piss on New Jersey. If you lived in Detroit we could have a field day. Everywhere has its down side. I live in Arizona, and it is pretty much 49th in everything.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 2420 comments Mod
Brena wrote: " I live in Arizona, and it is pretty much 49th in everything."
So now I know who's right behind CA in education funding...