Arters AP Literature 2016-17 discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Discuss your book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 252 (252 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather Arters | 124 comments Mod
Every two days - comment on the book you are reading with page number and what you think so far.

message 2: by Heather (new)

In the book I am reading, The Memory of Us (page 99 of 400) the narrator is telling the story in flashbacks. I did not realize this at first, but it makes sense given the title. It is set, at the earliest flashback in pre WW II England. The narrator has fallen in love with a seminary student and since he is becoming a priest, they can't be together. It is made clear that something horrible happens to her- it has been implied she is physically disfigured. She is also emotionally stunted. It is still unclear how old she is in the "present" and why she is so bitter. I am looking forward to finding out if she and her "priest" ever broke the rules and dated.

message 3: by Madison (last edited Oct 25, 2016 10:24AM) (new)

Madison Blake | 18 comments I am currently on page 15 of 193 of Their Eyes Were Watching God. The book so far is a little confusing, but interesting at the same time. The dialogue is very unique and I can already understand that Janie is a complex character. In the first 20 pages, Janie is returning from "burying the dead." People are talking about her and curious about her current life. Her best friend Pheoby comes over with dinner and as of right now, Janie just began telling her the story of her life.

message 4: by Deja (new)

Deja Brown | 13 comments In The Color Purple I am on page 9 of 295. It is clear that the narrator, Celie, is an underprivileged girl who is forced to grow up too fast. She is not the most intelligent but is hardworking and cares about those she loves. The author has written the whole book through letters the main character has written to God. Because of this, we only see things from her point of view. So far, the book is a little confusing and it was just told that the narrator’s sister, Nettie, has been asked for her hand in marriage but their Pa will not allow it and instead offers Celie who he calls ugly but a hard worker.

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill | 12 comments I am on page 20 of Life of Pi. So far, it has been a lot of confusing descriptions of the main character and his family. Piscine is a young boy at the moment, who is especially good at swimming. He lives in Pondicherry, and is constantly teased for his name. His older brother, Ravi, is a popular and athletic boy and he is referred to as 'Ravi's brother' a lot. His dad runs a zoo, which he describes in great detail with passion. So far, I enjoy his interesting life and I hope the main story begins soon. 

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael | 19 comments I'm on page 62 of 298 of Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. So far, this is the funniest book I have ever read. I have never laughed out loud from reading a book before this. The main character Greg is a pessimistic senior in high school who hates just about everyone and is very ready to get out of dodge so to speak. Which is something I can relate to quite strongly. I am very excited to read more of this book, I can hardly put it down to be honest.

message 7: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Gallagher | 15 comments I am on page 20 of 149 in the Red Badge of Courage. The book is written about the Civil War, and a young soldier in the Union Army. So far he has left his home to fight, to the dismay of his mother. A certain tall soldier, Jim, warns the regiment that a battle is near. No one believes him and the young soldier, Henry, does not know how he will hold up in battle. Jim's predictions wind up being true, and the regiment begins to march to battle. Henry thoughts are swirling at this moment. I think that Henry seems unsure of himself, and may be questioning if he should have listened to his mother and stayed home.

message 8: by Sona (last edited Oct 25, 2016 03:53PM) (new)

Sona | 16 comments I am on page on 20 of 152 in "Siddartha". The book is about a character known as Siddartha who is from the highest caste level called Brahmin in the Indian society. Although he is on the top, he is unhappy with being a Brahmin and decides that he wants to become a Samana to achieve some sort of enlightenment and become more wiser. He leaves his family once he gets the approval from his father to set forth in his spiritual journey. His friend Govinda also joins him in his journey of becoming a Samana. So far I am enjoying the book and find it very intriguing. I have a lot of respect for Siddartha and his friend because they are selfless and strong mentally and spirtually. Both of them decided to leave their lives filled with good wealth and prosperity so that they can find the truer meaning of life.

message 9: by Madison (new)

Madison Buchanan | 13 comments I am on page 40 of 326 of the book Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. The story is told in first person point of view by a nine-year old boy named Oskar. The first chapter was slightly confusing as Oskar was constantly changing the subject. However, no matter what he was talking about he related it back to his father. Oskar mentions very early on in the story how his father is dead. As Oskar is on the way to the cemetery, he flashes back to many experiences with his father. Oskar and his father had a very close relationship; they were always having very deep, intelligent conversations, especially for a nine-year old boy. So far I find this book very intriguing. Oskar has not stated yet exactly how his father died, but he has dropped many hints (such as living in Manhattan and getting calls from his father on the tragic day about waiting for the firemen) that lead me to believe he died in the 9/11 attacks. This book is very sad as I could not imagine losing a parent at nine years old, but I am curious to continue reading to find out how Oskar and his family cope with this horrible tradegy.

message 10: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 16 comments As of now I am on page 16 in Jane Eyre. In the beginning it was somewhat hard to determine the character's situation, but I have a general idea now. It's early in the book and I'm already feeling sympathetic towards her. I can tell that it is told from Jane's point of view, and she is residing with her cousins and aunt. From what Jane has said about her experiences in the house, the conditions for her aren't the best. I can assume that Jane's intermediate family wasn't as better off as her Aunt and Uncle's, as for one of her cousins bullies her for that. I hope things get better for Jane, but from what I've read so far I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin | 15 comments In The Girl on the Train, I am currently on page 25. So far, this book has been kind of confusing because each chapter thus far has been told by a different character. Also, each chapter is broken up into "Morning" and "Evening" sections. Rachel, the girl on the train, observes the same house on her daily commute aboard the train. Interestingly enough, the woman that lives in the house is one of the three narrators. Although there was not a whole lot of background information about the characters, it was revealed that Rachel was a former alcoholic, and has been struggling since her previous relationship ended. I think this element of her character may become prevalent later in the book. This book has been very interesting so far and I look forward to learning more about the family that Rachel observes each day on the train.

message 12: by Alex (new)

Alex Yao | 19 comments I'm currently one chapter in to the Caine Mutiny. The first chapter just introduced the main character Willie Kieth. Willie graduated from Princeton and is drafted into the military because it is 1941 (World War II). Willie is from a rich family and has been sheltered for all of his life. By joining the Naval Academy, he will have to grow up or face being thrown into the army (which horrifies him). The first chapter was his arrival to the academy. I look forward to reading more.

message 13: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Brenhuber | 11 comments I am currently on page 18 of Hotel du Lac. This story is written in third person point of view of Edith Hope's life. Edith has been forced to go on a vacation by her friends. Her friends make her go to get a break from her life and to relax. Edith is told she can only come back home after she has had time to think about her life and will apologize to everyone. So far in the story, I have not been informed on her past and the events which led to her temporary exile, so I am curious to find out why she was sent away.

message 14: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Hoffman I am on page 25 of Night. In the story, the author is recalling events leading up to his imprisonment in Auschwitz. Currently, his town in Hungary comprised mainly of Jews is being organized into ghettos by the Gestapo. They are beginning to relocate the Jews into a different area, most likely a concentration camp. The author is able to recall his feelings at every moment in this story, making it very personable and unlike any other story I have read on the Holocaust. It is very interesting and compelling to read so far.

message 15: by Valentina (new)

Valentina Giribaldi | 9 comments I am currently on page 10 of The Color Purple. The story is told through letters the main character, Celie, has written to God. By Celie's way of writing, it is clear that she does not have much of an education. She does, however, express herself in depth through her vulnerable entries. Since the story is viewed in first person from the prospective of Celie, it is biased to her experiences only.

message 16: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Das | 9 comments I am currently on page 42 of Afterward and I am really enjoying it so far. It is written in a changing perspective way for each "chapter" and I love stories like this. The main girl character is the sister of a boy who was abducted a few days ago and they just found him along with another boy who was with the abductor for 4 years. The book is told from this girl's point of view and the other boy who was abducted for 4 years. It is really interesting to see the differences between their lives right now after the 2 boys were found and I can't wait to see where it takes them even farther into the future.

message 17: by Kasey (new)

Kasey Burke | 16 comments I am currently on page 24 of 123 of The Stranger. This book is told by the 1st person perspective of a man. The book starts out with the main character finding out his mother had passed away, he then attends the funeral. He was not very close with his mother and did not even want to see her body before her burial. The next scene is just the main character going on with his everyday life such as going to the beach and people watching on the streets. This normal day makes him realize that nothing in his life has changed even though his mom just died. This book is good so far, but there is no indication of the main plot and I am still not sure what exactly this book is going to be about.

message 18: by Heather (new)

Madison wrote: "I am currently on page 15 of 193 of Their Eyes Were Watching God. The book so far is a little confusing, but interesting at the same time. The dialogue is very unique and I can already understand t..."

I found the first 50 pages or so to be difficult but then it became one of my favorites.

message 19: by Heather (new)

Kasey wrote: "I am currently on page 24 of 123 of The Stranger. This book is told by the 1st person perspective of a man. The book starts out with the main character finding out his mother had passed away, he th..."

Keep on mind the author is a philosopher. Every little things means something.

message 20: by Heather (new)

Olivia wrote: "I am currently on page 42 of Afterward and I am really enjoying it so far. It is written in a changing perspective way for each "chapter" and I love stories like this. The main girl character is th..."

This sounds fascinating.

message 21: by Heather (last edited Oct 25, 2016 06:42PM) (new)

Deja wrote: "In The Color Purple I am on page 9 of 295. It is clear that the narrator, Celie, is an underprivileged girl who is forced to grow up too fast. She is not the most intelligent but is hardworking and..."

Once you get used to the vernacular it starts to flow more quickly. It will get you hooked right after Celie gets married....

message 22: by Heather (new)

Jill wrote: "I am on page 20 of Life of Pi. So far, it has been a lot of confusing descriptions of the main character and his family. Piscine is a young boy at the moment, who is especially good at swimming. He..."

I never got into this book so I'll be interested to see if you like it better than I did. :)

message 23: by Heather (new)

Michael wrote: "I'm on page 62 of 298 of Me and Earl and the Dying Girl. So far, this is the funniest book I have ever read. I have never laughed out loud from reading a book before this. The main character Greg i..."

I can relate as well. :) let me know if I should read it.

message 24: by Heather (new)

Ryan wrote: "I am on page 20 of 149 in the Red Badge of Courage. The book is written about the Civil War, and a young soldier in the Union Army. So far he has left his home to fight, to the dismay of his mother..."

I had to read this book in ninth grade and I was not impressed but I remember my teacher LOVED it and kept going on and on about the symbolism. Have you run into any great symbols yet?

message 25: by Heather (new)

Sona wrote: "I am on page on 20 of 152 in "Siddartha". The book is about a character known as Siddartha who is from the highest caste level called Brahmin in the Indian society. Although he is on the top, he is..."

Is it reading like fiction or non- fiction to you? Does it seem "real?" I'm curious because I have never read the whole thing, only excerpts.

message 26: by Heather (new)

Madison wrote: "I am on page 40 of 326 of the book Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. The story is told in first person point of view by a nine-year old boy named Oskar. The first chapter was slightly confusing ..."

It gets easier ...have your tissues ready though.

message 27: by Heather (new)

Stephen wrote: "I am on page 25 of Night. In the story, the author is recalling events leading up to his imprisonment in Auschwitz. Currently, his town in Hungary comprised mainly of Jews is being organized into g..."

This was one of the only books I've read multiple times. I felt like I needed to keep reading it to get his whole meaning, like it was too simple for such a complex subject. Do you feel close to his character yet?

message 28: by Heather (new)

Valentina wrote: "I am currently on page 10 of The Color Purple. The story is told through letters the main character, Celie, has written to God. By Celie's way of writing, it is clear that she does not have much of..."

How does it compare to the musical so far?

message 29: by Heather (new)

Brittany wrote: "I am currently on page 18 of Hotel du Lac. This story is written in third person point of view of Edith Hope's life. Edith has been forced to go on a vacation by her friends. Her friends make her g..."

What is the time period? It sounds interesting but I can't picture if it's modern or old fashioned...

message 30: by Heather (new)

Shannon wrote: "As of now I am on page 16 in Jane Eyre. In the beginning it was somewhat hard to determine the character's situation, but I have a general idea now. It's early in the book and I'm already feeling s..."

This is one of my favorite books. I love Jane. If you end up liking it, I have a follow up book for your next independent reading.

message 31: by Heather (new)

Erin wrote: "In The Girl on the Train, I am currently on page 25. So far, this book has been kind of confusing because each chapter thus far has been told by a different character. Also, each chapter is broken ..."

It gets a lot easier once you get the flow. It took me a little bit to enjoy it but then it really kept my attention.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I am on page 49 of A Streetcar Named Desire. The play format takes some getting used to, since the reader is expected to fill in some of the gaps between the dialogue. The most interesting character by far (and I think it's supposed to be this way) is Blanche, who leaves her Southern-belle lifestyle to join her sister Stella in New Orleans and is appalled at the lifestyle her sister has chosen. She seems problematic- she is extremely nervous and probably has a drinking problem. Something I do like about plays is how characterization and symbolism work their way in, and I expect that by the end of the book I'll understand what all the symbols (including the streetcar itself, I hope) mean.

message 33: by Heather (new)

Alex wrote: "I'm currently one chapter in to the Caine Mutiny. The first chapter just introduced the main character Willie Kieth. Willie graduated from Princeton and is drafted into the military because it is 1..."

One of my favorite books and one of my favorite authors. I hope you enjoy it too. It is historical fiction at its best.

message 34: by Heather (new)

Once I comment on your comment :) please make all your other entries by hitting reply to our comment stream.

message 35: by Heather (new)

Catherine wrote: "I am on page 49 of A Streetcar Named Desire. The play format takes some getting used to, since the reader is expected to fill in some of the gaps between the dialogue. The most interesting characte..."

This is a great play to watch too! Blanche is quite the interesting Southern Belle...lots of twists in this one. I agree, though, I find reading plays silently to be difficult.

message 36: by Sekai (new)

Sekai | 21 comments I am on page 56 of Pride and Prejudice. The story is easier to read then I expected, but some words our outdated or used in a context slightly difficult to understand. The story is quite enjoyable but I am having difficulty remembering and recognizing characters. Many of their names are similar or share the same last name. At this point in the story Eliza is still staying with Mr. Bringley and Jane is slowly recovering from her illness. It has been revealed to the reader that Mr. Darcy has taken interest in Eliza, though I'm wondering when he will reveal his feelings to her or if Miss. Bringley will interfere.

message 37: by Rylee (new)

Rylee Hall | 14 comments In the book I am reading, A Streetcar Named Desire (page 20 out of 180), the story is told through a series of lines and stage directions. I was unaware that this book was written in script form, but it makes sense. I knew it was a play before starting the reading, but I didn't know it was written as such. The story is set in 1940's New Orleans. Blanche has come to visit her sister and stay with her for a while. It is immediately implied that Blanche is an alcoholic and there is tension between the characters. I am excited to see where the story leads and how Blanche's drinking effects her throughout the book.

message 38: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Li | 15 comments I am on page 20 of 279 of The Hound of the Baskervilles. From the very beginning I was exposed to the genius that is Sherlock Holmes. From using a silver-plated coffee pot as a rear view mirror to identifying a person's career, personality, place of residence and pet species simply from a walking stick they left behind, Holmes displays his remarkable deductive skills, impressing Watson. The entire book was told from third person, and was very elegantly written, as one would expect from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. From the atmosphere to the peaceful air around the two, everything was written with immaculate detail and precision. I have yet to arrive at the point when the pair meets the owner of the walking stick, which I am very eager to read. I do not know what mystery they are going to solve, but I look forward to it.

message 39: by Angela (new)

Angela Burke | 14 comments I am currently 11 pages into "Gone Girl". So far, I have gotten background information on the two main characters, Amy and Nick. Nick explains how they are married but how their marriage is slowly falling apart because they had to move back to his hometown and he used the rest of Amy's money to open a bar. I think that the quote, "There's something disturbing about recalling a warm memory and feeling utterly cold," could potentially foreshadow what will happen in the book and where there marriage will go. Although I have not read much of it so far, I really enjoyed that chapter that I read.

message 40: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Loan | 17 comments I am on page 25 of the Grapes of Wrath. The first chapter introduces the setting. The dust filled air and and struggling families creates a sad mood because the people are struggling to survive. The main character, Tom, was just released from prison and on the way back to his father's farm, the driver tells him that much has changed. This leaves a gap in the readers knowledge. I like the book so far and I am interested to learn more about the characters.

message 41: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Flynn | 12 comments I'm currently 43 pages into my book(on ebook) 100 Years of Solitude. So far the story is very captivating. At first, it was shown how the magical town of Macondo was created and from whence the main family came. In the story, there are many different characters apart of the main family. It's a bit confusing keeping track of all of the different characters, but at the same time it's very interesting learning the tendencies and interests of all of these characters. The patriarch of the Buendia family and Macondo itself, Jose, is my favorite character thus far. He believes in things that are not readily apparent, and is often succesful in his pursuits. Another character that I really like is Melquades, as it's interesting that magic is a part of him. He is described as a gypsy and in the time period that the book is taking place, magic is still prevalent in the world. He has many interesting inventions that take advantage of this. As the story progresses a little bit and more family members are brought into the fold, we get our first glimpse of the real world surrounding the magical city. The government of the area sends a man in who tries to take over the city just by having a decree. Obviously, the residents of Macondo are dumbfounded as they have never heard of such a thing before. They have been living in near isolation(apart from the gypsies.) Being the good people they are, they accommodate the man and his family. The book so far is extremely interesting and I'm eager to continue and learn more about the residents of Macondo.

message 42: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 15 comments I am on page 32 of "All the Light We Cannot See". The book is currently jumping back and forth between the stories of two characters during 1934. The one story is of a young blind girl who lives in Paris during the time that the Nazi's occupied Paris. The other is about a orphaned boy, just a couple years older, who grows up in Germany. I'm really interested to learn more about each of the characters and I'm assuming that eventually their stories will intertwine and the two will meet. I am looking forward to finding out if my prediction is true.

So far, there is also another detail in my story about a stone that is named the Sea of Flames. Apparently, it's cursed and they mentioned it being in the museum that the girl's dad worked at. I wonder how this will play a role in the story.

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah McHugh | 12 comments I am on page 25 of my book. Currently, I am reading Silence of the lambs by Thomas Harris. The main character is Clarice Starling. She is a young FBI student, is asked to carry out an errand by the head of the FBI division that creates psychological profiles for serial killers. She is visiting Dr. Hannibal Lecter who is serving nine consecutive life sentences for series of murders. He is in a Maryland mental institution for these murders. As a student for the FBI her assignment is to present a questionnaire to forensic psychiatrist and cannibalistic serial killer, Hannibal Lecter. He is a brilliant man but when she tries to have him answer the questionnaire, he gets off topic rather quickly. He is quick to make judgments about Clarice, and does not answer her questionnaire. She sees this as a failure and leaves in a hurry.

message 44: by David (new)

David Cressman | 17 comments I am on page 14 of 97 (PDF format) of Slaughterhouse Five and I was surprised that the entire first chapter of the novel was actually the story of how the author came to write the novel. The novel itself is the authors story based on his experiences in WWII with an anti war perspective. It seems that going forward, time will be skewed in the novel as well as other elements in order to more accurately portray the horrors of war throughout the novel. This may be confusing, but I do not think it will detract from the book.

message 45: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra | 18 comments I am on page 28 of the Road, and I really like how ominous this book is. It starts out all eerie in a barren land with the man and a young boy walking down this road. The way the author has chosen to write though is quite confusing. There is no real grammar to the novel since it is written from a post apocolyptical point of view. This rare comma usage and no quotations for dialogue are messing with my mind a bit, but other than that, I really like this book so far.

message 46: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 8 comments I have read through chapter one of The Lovely Bones (pg 17) and was surprised that the novel begins with the girl's -Susie Salmon's- death so quickly and aggressively. The first sentence is as follows: "My name is Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie." Salmon, Salman, Solomon and the words for peace Shalom and Salam all have a common root of S-L-M which translates as 'whole, safe and intact' and 'at peace' which is quite beautiful, considering that her murderer dismembers and mutilates her body. Salmon is also a symbol of peace and faith in the Bible.

message 47: by hanban (new)

hanban | 32 comments I am on page 45/162 of The Fall and so far it's been very confusing for me. The book consists of the narrator speaking to you, the reader, but in a way that you're responding and he can judge you through conversation. Most of the conversations so far between the narrator, Jean-Baptiste Clamence, have taken place in a bar in Amsterdam. The narrator is very philosophical, and keeps touching base on different matters randomly. He talks about how he used to be a lawyer but is now a "judge-lenient", but won't even tell you what that is yet. So far the story seems very strange as the narrator talks about defending murderers, loving when bad things happens so that he has the opportunity to do a good deed, and also the idea of being more generous to the dead than the living because there is no obligation. The narrator really makes you think and find the deeper meaning behind what he says. So far I think i'm enjoying this book because there's a lot to take away, but it is hard to follow along. Also in between certain sentences on almost every page he writes "cher monsieur", and that just confuses me even more. I wouldn't consider this much of an easy read, and I feel like i'm definitely skipping over some important aspects of the book that I should be taking away.

message 48: by Celeste (new)

Celeste | 11 comments In Their Eyes Were Watching God, I am on page 20. It is a pretty dull book so far, but most classics are at this point to be honest. It just starts with Janie on a porch talking to her friend, so I'm assuming the whole book will take place from her point of view retelling her life story.

message 49: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Hofmann | 15 comments I have read up to page 22 of Half the Sky. The beginning of the story explains the purpose of the novel which is to open people's eyes to the humanitarian issue of women's rights around the world. The first part of the novel, sets the stage for the different stories of women around the world. The book says it will highlight the stories of women in Afghanistan, Cambodia, Kenya, and more.

message 50: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Knecht | 12 comments I am on page 30/277 of The Catcher in the Rye. So far I am enjoying this book. The main character is Holden Caulfield, a seventeen year old boy who, so far, seems to over exaggerate and whine about his life. He seems like he could become a bit annoying at times, but I am intrigued to learn more about his character. Holden narrates the book and I really enjoy his witty and sarcastic style of speaking.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.