Smashwords Authors discussion

General > Amazon UK Tax Interview

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments I know this is a Smashwords group, but most of us are on Amazon too. Is anyone else in the UK having trouble with the tax interview for Amazon? Or maybe no one else has been asked to do it yet.

I have to basically submit my W-8-BEN all over again, but this time they're doing it digitally. I did it once and put in the wrong address - it went through fine, but told me it was invalid since it didn't match the IRS records. So I went back and did it again with the correct address, and suddenly it decided that my EIN wasn't acceptable this time.

I had no trouble with all of this originally, or even the first time I submitted the tax interview this time round. Am I the only one?

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments did you get an email from Amazon to update your tax interview or what? I haven't heard from them except for the changes in the pre-order system...

message 3: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments Yes, I have until the end of December to do it (Createspace too). I thought it might be a stretch to think other people had got the email too, since it must depend on when it was first done.

message 4: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments I emailed Amazon to ask why they're suddenly refusing my EIN when it's never been a problem before. They say that the IRS created the tax interview and are responsible for verifying the information. So if you have an EIN rather than a TIN, you might want to contact the IRS before you get the email.

message 5: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments Just in case anyone else does get this any time soon, be aware that although they originally told me I had until 31 December to resubmit my tax information, they've now decided that actually it has to be done by 23 November and if it isn't my royalties will be withheld (rather than having 30% tax taken from them as originally stated) and my publishing rights will be revoked.

So again, make sure you have a TIN.

message 6: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments my Tax information is complete and was received in 2014... when will it expire? I went on the account in my dashboard, I assume that's updated? I go to KDP.com (I'm in Italy anyway), do you think that changes something?

message 7: by Ross (new)

Ross Harrison (rossharrison) | 350 comments I first published in 2012, and the first email did say that my W-8BEN was received 'on or before' 31 December 2013. So I would assume you have maybe another year.

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Tarn (barbaragtarn) | 1185 comments Ross wrote: "I first published in 2012, and the first email did say that my W-8BEN was received 'on or before' 31 December 2013. So I would assume you have maybe another year."

okay, I'll keep my eyes open... I think the W8BEN expires after 3 years anyway... Thanks!