The Hopefuls
This topic is about The Hopefuls
Archive: Other Books > The Hopefuls by Jennifer Close - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan Tunis (suetu) | 30 comments The Hopefuls -
Close, Jennifer (Knopf)

Ah, to be young and in…spired. Beth’s husband Matt campaigned for Obama and followed him all the way to a low-level job in the White House. With some trepidation, Beth uproots her life and follows her husband and his political aspirations to DC, a city she quickly learns to loathe. Perhaps I should have been put off by Close’s skewering of my hometown, but she was so completely on target, I couldn’t help but laugh all the way through this satirical novel of idealism gone astray. Eventually leaving the beltway for the campaign trail, the strain of this lifestyle is viewed through Beth’s eyes. Will their man win? Will their marriage survive? Is any of it worth it? Close is a savvy observer and this is more than a domestic dramedy. Highly recommended for politics junkies needing a break from real life!--Susan

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments This one is high up on my TBR! It sounds like one that would lend itself well to audio so I think I will probably "read" it in that format.

Ironically, I have a friend who just downloaded this book from her library on her iPad but didn't realize that I was signed into Amazon on it (I think I had ordered a movie for us to watch on my account) and so it is actually sitting on my iPad as we speak! lol

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan Tunis (suetu) | 30 comments Nicole R wrote: "This one is high up on my TBR! It sounds like one that would lend itself well to audio so I think I will probably "read" it in that format.

Ironically, I have a friend who just downloaded this boo..."

I think you will really love this, Nicole! You still slogging away on the Hill?

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments I left the Hill about three years ago and am back in academia at the University of Rhode Island.