What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Historical Romance. Hero (privateer?) catches heroine snooping through his things, she spying for government, he takes her prisoner on his ship. Gets jealous when she plays cards with ship's crew.

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pp (new)

Pp | 6 comments Hi,
I'm trying to find a historical romance. I vaguely remember the plot being something that goes like this: The hero catches the heroine snooping through things (she is a spy) and captures her, taking her prisoner on his ship. As the journey progresses, they fall in love. There are scenes where the heroine plays cards with the ship crew and the hero whisks her away to play cards with him. He bets her that if he wins, she should kiss him.
The hero also gives her clothes to wear during the journey, dresses that he originally purchased for his sisters.

That's about all that I can remember. Thanks for your help, in advance! :)

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33300 comments Mod
A guess - When the Perfect Comes by Susan Ward?

Pp, what year did you read this book?

Is the hero a pirate, privateer, or military man?

Who is the heroine spying for?

message 3: by Pp (new)

Pp | 6 comments Hi Kris,

Thanks for your suggestion! But this is not the one I was looking for. I read the book over ten years back. Not sure when it was published. The hero was a privateer I think. The heroine was spying for the government. She was very attractive but dressed in drab clothing to look dull and boring, just so people around her would overlook her. Thanks for your help!

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Pp, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1065 comments This sounds familiar. I just can't think of the title or author. I remember the clothes that he purchased for his sister's.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann | 530 comments Some parts remind me of Wicked by Susan Johnson but not everything. It does sound familiar, I'll try to check my bookshelves to see if I can come up with a better match.

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1065 comments The more I think about it, I think the he purchased clothes for his mistress and she was highly upset when she found the heroine wearing them.

message 8: by Pp (new)

Pp | 6 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Pp, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

Lobstergirl wrote: "Pp, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

Hi, I'm still looking. Looks like it's a lost cause though.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
A lot of historical romance readers in the group, you really never know when someone might recognize your book.

message 10: by JennyG (new)

JennyG | 536 comments Do you remember the book cover?

message 11: by Kateri (new)

Kateri | 29 comments Please don't lose hope!! I'd love to read this book when it is eventually found

message 12: by Rhiannon (new)

Rhiannon | 41 comments Was it a regency era historical?
If so, anything on this list look familiar? https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

message 13: by Kris (new)

What's the starting location (e.g., London, England)? Which government is she spying for? What's the time period?

message 14: by Pp (new)

Pp | 6 comments Still no luck, guys. I don't remember much at all. Everything's pretty hazy by now. If I ever do find it, will be sure to update here. Thanks so much for all your help!

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 46 comments it sounds a little like susan wigg charm school.

message 16: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1653 comments The Charm School for Rachel's link.

message 17: by Kris (new)

Pp, I added some plot details to the topic header, so your book might be recognized from that description alone. Many members only read the headers.

Feel free to update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

message 18: by Pp (new)

Pp | 6 comments Thanks, Kris!

message 19: by Kris (new)

You're welcome.

message 20: by Summer (new)

Summer | 245 comments How about The Windflower?

message 21: by Rosalyn (new)

Rosalyn | 41 comments Seems like someone sent this to the Smart Bitches Trashy Books website to help you out

Link to post: https://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/2...

The comments suggest these books/authors:
1. The Other Miss Bridgerton - published in 2018 though
2. something by Kresley Cole, maybe The Captain of All Pleasures
3. something by Joanna Bourne, maybe My Lord and Spymaster - but someone else said there's no card playing
4. I Kissed an Earl
5. Chance The Winds of Fortune
6. His Wicked Kiss
7. Beautiful Tempest
8. The Windflower
9. Reminded someone of Gentle Rogue, but they said that's probably not the right book

message 22: by Pp (new)

Pp | 6 comments Hi,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I checked them out. Unfortunately, none of them are the one I've been looking for. IReally appreciate everyone helping out!

message 23: by Kris (last edited Dec 10, 2020 04:03PM) (new)

Note: Book read before 2006 1996 (see message #3).

message 24: by Kateri (new)

Kateri | 29 comments Kris wrote: "Note: Book read before 1996 (see message #3)."

I think you mean before 2006 Kris ;)

Bump

message 25: by Kateri (new)

Kateri | 29 comments Bump