Book Snails Book Group discussion

The Book Thief
This topic is about The Book Thief
ARCHIVED > Quarterly Book Discussion "The Book Thief" Question #10: A huge debate about this book is: do Liesel and Max not only end up together at the end, but GET MARRIED and have babies??!!" What do you think?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (last edited Oct 23, 2016 08:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Julie (julie_prewett) Last, but definitely not least!!!

Kelsey I really don't think they get married. The age difference is very big, and, since Death knows who Max is, if they DID get married, I think Death would have mentioned it. I think he does mention that she and Max kept in touch? But I don't think they get married!

message 3: by Erin (last edited Oct 25, 2016 09:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 580 comments I definitely don't think Liesel and Max end up together. He was a brother figure to her and that would just ruin the story.

message 4: by Julie (last edited Nov 03, 2016 10:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Julie (julie_prewett) I am going to go a different way than Kelsey and Erin. I believe they do end up together. I can't help it! I truly loved their interactions together and it's like there was no age difference when she was 13 and he was (not) 13 LOL.

She says that she loves Rudy, but then immediately afterwards, he is described as her best friend. I just feel like there was chemistry and love between Max and Liesel, though he was a true gentleman about it. I think about when she was willing to die for him just to be with him walking down the street with the other Jews. There was such passion in her actions and she didn't want to give him up.