Book Snails Book Group discussion

The Book Thief
This topic is about The Book Thief
ARCHIVED > Quarterly Book Discussion "The Book Thief" Question #2: Which character did you find the most endearing? Least endearing? And why?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Julie (julie_prewett) Question #2

Kelsey RUDY! He was my favorite and he deserved way better! I loved him. I hate the fact that Liesel only realized the depths of her feelings for him when he died. To me, it didn't seem that creative. Writers do it all the time.

As for least endearing, I can't really name anyone. One of the aspects that I liked about the writing style was that, with the characters, even the most minute character had somewhat of a backstory that the reader could relate to.

Erin | 580 comments For me, the most endearing character was Hans. I loved the bond he formed with Liesel and how he cared for her. Teaching her to read, trading his cigarettes for books so she'd have a Christmas present, taking her painting and letting her have champagne. There was just so much to love about him. Not to mention his kind heart for others - repainting the door of the Jewish shop, helping the Jew who was paraded through town and kept falling, hiding Max! I loved Hans :-)

Least endearing - probably the boy at the Nazi Youth who picked on Rudy :-P

message 4: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (last edited Oct 24, 2016 05:42PM) (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1825 comments Mod
This is where I admit to being a very, very bad snail.

By coincidence, I watched the movie version about a week before y'all started voting on a first book to read here, so I wasn't keen on reading the whole thing. I did skim some of the eBook version, though. Maybe I'll read the whole thing when the movie fades a bit in my head.

And I shall refrain from answering questions about the actual book. I'll leave that for you good snails who read it. ;p

Kelsey StarMan wrote: "This is where I admit to being a very, very bad snail.

By coincidence, I watched the movie version about a week before y'all started voting on a first book to read here, so I wasn't keen on readin..."

I'd definitely give the book a go once it's not so fresh in your mind! I'm curious as to how well the narration worked throughout the movie though. I'd like to watch it, but I'm scared, because I cried reading the book, so I can't imagine how much I'd cry during the movie..