Book Snails Book Group discussion

The Book Thief
This topic is about The Book Thief
ARCHIVED > Quarterly Book Discussion "The Book Thief" Question #1: Did you like the book? Why or why not?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Julie (julie_prewett) Pretty typical question but I had to start somewhere! :-)

Kelsey I loved this book! It was a really quick read for being so long, and I feel like all the characters were like family members at the end. I laughed at Rudy, and I cried at the deaths, and I enjoyed it a lot!

Mostafa Younis | 34 comments My first fiction book, and I loved it!!

message 4: by Ren (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ren (lestatsoul) | 4 comments I'm going to go with- I hate it. The writing is nice. I enjoy the voice, but everything else about the book- no. I think maybe from all the hype.

Erin | 627 comments I really liked it. I thought the way in which it was written was very unique. I've never read anything like that before. I think the author did a really good job of developing the characters. And, though I'm not great at picking up hidden meanings, my copy had bonus material at the end which explained everything very well and made me appreciate the story so much more than I would have otherwise.

Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒ | 2 comments I loved it!
I liked everything about it. Death itself being the story-teller. The way it was written and characters.

Julie (julie_prewett) I loved this book. I found myself trying to take this book nice and slow because of the subject matter, and so many metaphors to get. From the moment Liesel met Max, I wanted them to be together. Inappropriate given their age difference but I wanted something good to happen for them with all the horrors around them. I just felt they were destined for each other.

Julie (julie_prewett) Kelsey wrote: "I loved this book! It was a really quick read for being so long, and I feel like all the characters were like family members at the end. I laughed at Rudy, and I cried at the deaths, and I enjoyed ..."

I cried too! Hubby just looked at me and shook his head. Lol

message 9: by Julie (last edited Oct 27, 2016 02:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Julie (julie_prewett) Mostafa wrote: "My first fiction book, and I loved it!!"

That is so great to hear Mostafa!!!! i hope we can read another great one. There are so many out there to chose from. :-)

Julie (julie_prewett) Renice wrote: "I'm going to go with- I hate it. The writing is nice. I enjoy the voice, but everything else about the book- no. I think maybe from all the hype."

Renice wrote: "I'm going to go with- I hate it. The writing is nice. I enjoy the voice, but everything else about the book- no. I think maybe from all the hype."

Hopefully the next book is better for you Renice. :-)

Julie (julie_prewett) Erin wrote: "I really liked it. I thought the way in which it was written was very unique. I've never read anything like that before. I think the author did a really good job of developing the characters. And, ..."

Omg-thats awesome about the bonus material. I don't get a lot of the hidden meanings either. I'm going to go look at my book again and see. Thanks!!!

Julie (julie_prewett) Anny wrote: "I loved it!
I liked everything about it. Death itself being the story-teller. The way it was written and characters."

I loved Death as the narrator also. They seemed almost kind in so many ways.

message 13: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 1851 comments Mod
If you loved "The Book Thief," consider these 2 books:

1. All the Light We Cannot See

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
(historical fiction / WWII)

2. Scythe

Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1) by Neal Shusterman
(YA speculative fiction/dystopia/death)