Barlow College Reading Fall 2016 discussion

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eva (new)

Eva Leslie | 54 comments I am currently reading a biography called, Wild by Cheryl Strayed, and she talks about how she chose to change her last name to Strayed out of any other word after her and her husband got divorced. She picked this because although it has a negative meaning it described her life and how she was lost and had to find a new route. So I am wondering if you had pick any word to be your new last name, what would it be?

message 2: by Paige (new)

Paige Przybylski | 33 comments Mod
Eva wrote: "I am currently reading a biography called, Wild by Cheryl Strayed, and she talks about how she chose to change her last name to Strayed out of any other word after her and her husband got divorced...."

Eva- what a cool, thought-provoking question! I actually thought about that when I read her memoir, too. It made me happy that my first name is "Paige"- it feels fitting for someone who is dedicated bookworm. What would you choose for your name??

message 3: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 25 comments That's a tough question, one that may be too much pressure knowing you have it for the rest of your life. One lady that Cheryl encountered thought her necklace said "Starved" which I thought was also important/funny to note because in the same way "Strayed" described her life, "Starved" described how she was constantly feeling with barely any food.

message 4: by Hallie (new)

Hallie | 36 comments I am not sure exactly what name I would choose but this makes me think about the decision that women go through when they get married. It seems to be getting more and more popular to keep your maiden name or hyphenate with your husband's last name. I'm not sure if I would do that, but I think either choice is significant. Changing your last name seems to give yourself a new start, hyphenating seems to merge two different lives, and keeping your last name seems to declare your past and not let it be forgotten.