Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments I'm just curious what people's ratio of fiction to non-fiction is so far this year . . .do you feel like it is higher or lower than usual. Do you feel yourself reaching for one more than the other?

For me, 13 out of 43 (30%) I read this year so far were non-fiction (counted MAUS as fiction). I'm a little surprised because I really seem to like non-fiction when I read it . . .and seem to read it more quickly as a general rule.

Last year, I read 9 non-fiction out of 50 (18%) so maybe trending more toward non-fiction. Hard to say with so few data points.

Curious what other people find.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I've read 74 books so far this year, and from memory two were non-fiction!! I'll go take a look.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Yes, it has only been two, and one was forced upon me for book club!

message 4: by Karin (last edited Oct 23, 2016 03:49PM) (new)

Karin | 6920 comments 20/89 have been nonfiction for me this year. I think this is a higher ratio than usual as some years I have a very hard time getting myself to read nonfiction. I do really enjoy some nonfiction, but there's plenty I don't, too.

That said, I'm reading 3 more nonfiction books now (on one audio), and when I'm done my current set of books it will be 23/95; this will be by October 31 since 4 of those are for a reading game and one for a discussion I'm reading. One I haven't even started yet but have to finish by Sunday.

One of these is a book I bought in 1999 that I had started twice before (I was all done having children with two girls and then, voila, I wasn't done and had a son in 2000. We are very happy to have a son, but three kids really threw me for a loop at that age and my personal reading suffered for years.)

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments I read almost no non-fiction mainly because I read so much for work then like to "escape" to fiction. This year I've read 100 so far and 5 have been non-fiction.

message 6: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2752 comments 9/78 almost 12% which is more than I would usually read, I think. The memoir and entertainment tags had something to do with that.

message 7: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7700 comments I am reading MUCH less nonfiction this year than I typically do.
13/52 books this year have been nonfiction, but of those 8 are memoirs (I counted Maus as a memoir) and they are typically quicker reads than more nonfiction.

So, really, only 5/52 have been straight nonfiction.

message 8: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5499 comments 9/65. I enjoy non-fiction, but read quite a bit more fiction. I try to mix up genres, but sometimes I fall into a rut.

message 9: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments I don't know, hadn't thought about it but I should be higher this year because of nonfiction PBT list and working on DeweyCAT over at LT. I will try to check but I never really kept track before.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8282 comments My non-fiction tends to run in a few specific areas. Psychology books, I am currently looking at psychodynamic models of treatment for addition, to help with a didactic training portion for a supervisee. Usually about once a year, there is some Jewish non-fiction book that calls my attention. And this year with PBT, I read Between the World and Me. I have Elizabeth Gilbert's Big Magic lying around, but I haven't gotten around to picking it up. I just love my fiction. It's very hard to get to other things. Reading and my tv addiction are my rapture, my escape from plenty of harsh realities I hear and absorb. (Like Paige and the two Jen's.). I read between patients, instead of writing notes. I read during cancels, when I am waiting to pick up my kids, and before bed. Almost never between 3 and 11pm. I love getting wrapped up in a story. I find the non-fiction takes a lot of effort and focus, and is all around harder. So it has to be fantastic. I wonder if Soul of an Octopus will grab me? We will see.

message 11: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5633 comments 23 nonfiction so far out of a total of 124 read to date. Several of these were for F2F book club discussions, but they were also books that I would have read on my own (eventually). Not sure if this ratio is representative or not. Seems about average for me to read 1 nonfiction for every 4 fiction titles.

message 12: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments 12/80 - so 15%. And four of those were for PBT nonfiction challenge, otherwise it would be even lower. I will read two more from the list, reading The Disappearing spoon this month.

message 13: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I've read 3 NF this year. All were memoirs and I would say that's more than I typically read. I'm way more interested in going into 'another world' than reading something true. Or I think I am, so I often do. I prefer historical fiction more than just history. I read 0 NF last year.

message 14: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6920 comments Jen wrote: "I read almost no non-fiction mainly because I read so much for work then like to "escape" to fiction. This year I've read 100 so far and 5 have been non-fiction."

That's how I usually am. This has been a high year for me.

message 15: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1266 comments I've only read one non-fiction this year. My ratio is 1:20. I didn't read any last year, but I read 6:36 in 2014. So, non-fiction is kind of hit or miss for me.

message 16: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments I know we all have different reasons for reading. While I do enjoy escaping now and then, my motivation for reading is to continue learning. I totally get people who read a lot of technical material at work not wanting to do in their leisure time. I read a lot economics at work and until some of you mentioned not reading non-fiction because of work I never realized how many economics books are on my TBR that I've never touched and not a single economics book is on my "read" shelf. Ha!

But, I do read a lot of historical non-fiction. Ironically, in the end, it helps me at work because understanding a foreign market's history often sheds some light on current political situations and cultural issues.

That being said, with the new job, finishing the new house, and some health issues Tracy is facing my overall reading is WAY down; only 24 books so far. But percentage wise is about the same; 40%. The one odd thing is I have only one presidential biography in this year when I usually do about 6.

message 17: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1441 comments I've read 7 nonfiction out of 67 books total so 10%. I haven't kept track before but I would guess this is higher than normal since I've been making an effort to read some of the PBT nonfiction books and I've read a few for other challenges.

message 18: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Of the 52 books I've read so far, 15 have been non-fiction. That makes up 29% of my reading.

However, i think I should note that 14 of them have been memoirs! Eek!! The only non-memoir non-fiction I've read this year was Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption- which easily will rank in my top 10 2016 books.

I definitely am reading more memoirs that normal. Partly because of the tag, which I think I read four for that month. Partly because of the current trend of celebrity memoirs. The past two years I've gotten much more into non-fiction than I was before. I recall more historical fiction on my read list last year though.

Interesting!

message 19: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2084 comments So far, 17 out of 84 books read, so about 20%.

message 20: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments I've read 16 of 97 books this year or 16% and I am pretty sure that is much higher than most years but I would need to check to be sure.

message 21: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8120 comments Anita wrote: "Last year, I read 9 non-fiction out of 50 (18%) so maybe trending more toward non-fiction...."

Could the PBT top 100 nonfiction be helping you toward more nonfiction this year?

message 22: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8120 comments If I've counted correctly, I've read 35/119 nonfiction (that includes biographies and memoirs), so that's 29%.

Probably close to last year. I see from my notes that I read 20% nonfiction and 8% biographies/memoirs, so I obviously separated them out to figure that out. I probably wanted to specifically figure out the bios/memoirs percentage, so kept them separate.

message 23: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 822 comments 9/58 books I've read so far have been non-fiction. So that's about 15% I think. I'm not sure how that compares to other years.

message 24: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4909 comments So far this year I read 10 non-fiction out of 95 total books for me (10%).

Last year it was 7 out of 107 (6%).

The reading challenges and games have definitely been a factor in the uptick.

message 25: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6920 comments annapi wrote: "So far this year I read 10 non-fiction out of 95 total books for me (10%).

Last year it was 7 out of 107 (6%).

The reading challenges and games have definitely been a factor in the uptick."

Same here!

message 26: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Anita wrote: "Last year, I read 9 non-fiction out of 50 (18%) so maybe trending more toward non-fiction...."

Could the PBT top 100 nonfiction be helping you toward more nonfiction this year?"

Definitely not this - - I have been absolutely terrible, terrible with all my challenges this year. I haven't even tried. It's been a free reading year for me.

message 27: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Thanks everyone for sharing your statistics! It is interesting. It seems like none of us are predominantly non-fiction readers with perhaps the exception of Regina? A good sized handful of us are hovering in the 18-22% range - - about a fifth of our books. And the rest really like fiction best!

Even those of us who like non-fiction are reading a lot of memoirs (I'm in that camp too).

It is interesting because I really do like non-fiction, but with so many recommendations going around and so many new hyped fiction releases - - it just drives me toward fiction reads even though I think in the ideal world, I might alternate and read 50/50.

message 28: by Regina Lindsey (new)

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments Anita wrote: "Thanks everyone for sharing your statistics! It is interesting. It seems like none of us are predominantly non-fiction readers with perhaps the exception of Regina? A good sized handful of us are h..."

Yeah, I'm a bit of an odd bird. Funny, of non-fiction memoirs are my least favorite. I think it's because it is rare to find a person who can be objective about themselves and most historical non-fiction, of which I'm partial, is founded on analysis of people and events. The one exception is Ulysses S. Grant's memoirs, which are superb. But, he wrote those as he was dying of cancer. At the time of his life it behooved him to be reflective and objective about his life as he came to grips with the end of it.

message 29: by Karin (last edited Oct 26, 2016 07:21AM) (new)

Karin | 6920 comments Regina wrote: "Anita wrote: "Thanks everyone for sharing your statistics! It is interesting. It seems like none of us are predominantly non-fiction readers with perhaps the exception of Regina? A good sized handf..."

I liked memoirs until the first time I read one by someone I know, and since then I read them with a large grain of salt.

But then I find nonfiction also has bias and take all of it with a grain of salt, too, unless it's undisputed, provable fact told just as the bald facts (for a rather simplified example, "it rained yesterday" and I know it rained yesterday since I was there, then I take it 100 percent). No writer, no editor, no publisher, and most certainly no news media, is unbiased, but there is still a lot we can learn!

As readers, we tend to far more readily accept as true the things that fit with our biases, and I have often been shocked in my past to find places where I have been the same way. But I'm rather an odd duck in my age group, I think; most people I know around my age are more set in what they think and believe, and while in some ways I am, in many ways I question more than ever -- who is telling the story, nonfiction or fiction, why, what is their point, what might they have overlooked, or what is the much larger picture outside of this that is being missed? Not that I always get an answer (but it would be nice...)

Now fiction books can have social/political/philosophical/etc messages, but at least it's fiction and you know from the start what's fiction--all of it.

message 30: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2184 comments 10 / 47 for me which I think is a persona high that may have to do with some of the tags this year. However, I'm finding myself picking up a non-fiction and 1 or 2 (or more!) fictions with each month. I've always been a predominantly fiction reader but the recommendations here are challenging and changing me!