Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Off Topic > Book Bloggers

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments I've been toying with the idea of starting a blog to review some of the books I'm reading for my rejects challenge, and possibly for my actual challenges as well. Currently, I've mostly used GoodReads to post comments in the discussion thread and I've posted to my Facebook page about the books I'm reading as part of my challenge.

The main reason I wanted to start a blog (aside from the fact that it seemed like fun!) is because I wanted to be able to post about my rejects challenge books without overwhelming my Facebook friends with too many updates.

Does anyone have any advice for beginner bloggers? I am not looking to make any money off of this, or even to accumulate a huge audience. It's mostly just for fun and as a hobby. I've started a blog using WordPress since it seemed the easiest to use. Any feedback would definitely be welcome: https://abyssallibrarian.wordpress.com/

I know the background/layout is a bit boring right now, but it was the best I could find so far. I only have one post up at the moment, and the About page is done as well.

message 2: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2924 comments Except for books, I personally have a very short attention span for long texts, and that includes blog posts. So if you want to keep people like me on your page more than 10 seconds, I advise you to write shorter paragraphs, maybe put some words or sentences in bold or structure your post with titles.

I hope it helps!

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments Sophie wrote: "Except for books, I personally have a very short attention span for long texts, and that includes blog posts. So if you want to keep people like me on your page more than 10 seconds, I advise you t..."

Thanks! My problem has always been writing way too long. I actually my paragraphs on my post so far were pretty short...but then, I'm used to writing for university/college papers.

Future posts would definitely have more structure anyway. What I have there currently is just an intro so to me, it seemed that adding subtitles was a bit weird. I think my next step is definitely learning how to add pictures.

message 4: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments Great idea! I was also thinking of that - it is a bit hard to view older reviews on Goodreads, unless you are looking at the book page.

message 5: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 549 comments I have been blogging for a couple years now and the number one thing I can say is to stay true to you. Don't try to be like anyone else and don't make it like a job. Keep it fun and keep it what you want. If you're in it for followers and what not, don't try to force it. Things will come. I personally just restarted my book blog because I was trying too hard to be someone I wasn't and writing things that weren't entirely my style.