Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > From Stars Come Dragons - 84K word Novel-YA/NA fantasy

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Oct 28, 2016 07:05AM) (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments Hi all!
From Stars Come Dragons is a complete first draft, about 59K words, ready for readers and feedback.

I didn't put "Romance" in the title of this post, because this book is not heavy on romance, but relationships are definitely a thing in this book.

Can't wait to hear from you :) THANKS!

message 2: by Entrada (new)

Entrada Book Review | 214 comments Hi Chirpyreading,

This sounds like something our intern would love to read. Go ahead and email me a copy.

Thank you!

Rachel

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments Entrada wrote: "Hi Chirpyreading,

This sounds like something our intern would love to read. Go ahead and email me a copy.

Thank you!

Rachel"

Awesome! I didn't see an email listed on your profile. Where should I send it?

Sorry if I'm doing this wrong. This is my first time.

Thanks!
Ann

message 4: by Entrada (new)

Entrada Book Review | 214 comments No problem! You can send it to rachel@entradapublishing.com

Thank you!

Rachel

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments Entrada wrote: "No problem! You can send it to rachel@entradapublishing.com

Thank you!

Rachel"

Email sent! Thanks again :)

message 6: by Entrada (new)

Entrada Book Review | 214 comments Feedback sent!

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments Got it! Thanks so much! Can't wait to read through it!

message 8: by Entrada (new)

Entrada Book Review | 214 comments I hope it's helpful for you!

Scorpio-of-Autumn | 35 comments Oh yay! It's finished! May I beta for you, too?

I prefer to read the opening two chapters first (trying to have a similar reaction as a potential reader or agent would). Then, if I'm enjoying it, I'll ask for the rest. PM me if you accept my offer. :)

~ Scorpio-of-Autumn

message 10: by A.K. (new)

A.K. (alexis_queen) | 31 comments Hi! I'd be interested in beta reading for you, if you still want more betas. I prefer a word document. I look forward to hearing from you.

acciolunas@gmail.com

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments Alexis wrote: "Hi! I'd be interested in beta reading for you, if you still want more betas. I prefer a word document. I look forward to hearing from you.

acciolunas@gmail.com"

I have sent you an email! Thanks!

Scorpio-of-Autumn wrote: "Oh yay! It's finished! May I beta for you, too?

I prefer to read the opening two chapters first (trying to have a similar reaction as a potential reader or agent would). Then, if I'm enjoying it, ..."

I have sent you a PM. Thanks!

message 12: by Buffy (new)

Buffy | 13 comments entradapublishing.com is a self-publishing website. Go in eyes wide open Chirpyreading.

http://theworldsgreatestbook.com/self...

message 13: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments Buffy wrote: "entradapublishing.com is a self-publishing website. Go in eyes wide open Chirpyreading.

http://theworldsgreatestbook.com/self..."

Thanks for your concern :)

They gave me great feedback actually. And didn't ask anything from me in return.

I did some research on them before I submitted for beta reading and found they would not be for me anyway, since my book has a fair bit of cursing and they seem to go for more family friendly works anyway, self-pub or not.

I have a skeptic for a spouse and he's taught me a lot in the way of trust but verify. I take everything with a grain of salt. ;)

I appreciate your concern though, really <3 Good to know people are trying to watch out for one another.

message 14: by Vance (new)

Vance Huxley | 29 comments Buffy wrote: "entradapublishing.com is a self-publishing website. Go in eyes wide open Chirpyreading

I've dealt with Entrada as well, and they were brilliant with me and still are. They are also a traditional publisher. Horses for courses.
Check out Fall of the Cities, published by Entrada. They can handle some cursing if it is a part of the story. (Full Disclosure - I wrote it :-))
I started with beta, then they accepted me for publishing (not self-publishing.) Now I pay them to have all my books beta read (three readers) because of the speed and the superb reports.

That said, I self-published a book with Authorhouse many moons back, (under a different name) and boy, did that sting! So eyes wide open is good advice, Buffy.

Lots of luck, Chirpyreading!

message 15: by Entrada (new)

Entrada Book Review | 214 comments Buffy wrote: "entradapublishing.com is a self-publishing website. Go in eyes wide open Chirpyreading.

http://theworldsgreatestbook.com/self..."

Hi Buffy,

Just to clarify, we are NOT a self-publishing house. We'll assist authors with editing, layout, covers, beta reading or marketing but that's it.

There is no amount of money you can pay us to publish your book (although I may be tempted if the number got high enough).

We don't accept just anyone to work with (we are very picky). We accept and solicit submissions but publish less than 3% of what we receive.

Thank you Chirpyreading and Vance for the testimonial. We love helping authors any way that we can - but our publishing name and reviews are not for sale.

Rachel

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments Alexis wrote: "Hi! I'd be interested in beta reading for you, if you still want more betas. I prefer a word document. I look forward to hearing from you.

acciolunas@gmail.com"

Thanks for the feedback! :)

message 17: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments I have a new revision of this novel done and ready for another round of beta reading and feedback.

There is a lot more story because, it will no longer be a duology, but a standalone novel and so it's almost doubled in length. I have updated the title of this post to reflect the change in length.

For those who beta read for me on the last run, thank you so much! All of your feedback was super helpful!

message 18: by Keith (new)

Keith Oxenrider (mitakeet) | 1166 comments Hello Chirpy,

Do you have a description/blurb? I really liked McCaffrey's dragons and her stories had a lot of YA/NA elements, so I wonder how you think you compare with her work.

message 19: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments Keith wrote: "Hello Chirpy,

Do you have a description/blurb? I really liked McCaffrey's dragons and her stories had a lot of YA/NA elements, so I wonder how you think you compare with her work."

I'm still working on the blurb, but I can tell you this is a, somewhat, contemporary (90's-ish, pre internet, cellphone era) story. It may also be considered magical realism, but I think I need someone with a better understanding of genre to confirm it.

The following is a summation of the world and the bare bones of story:
Since the end of the Dragon War, hundreds of years ago, the coexistence of humans and dragons has come down to a mutual understanding; don't cross the borders. It's a simple rule to follow, especially since death is certain for any human who dares cross into dragon territory.

The story follows, Henry, a seventeen-year-old, almost eighteen-year-old, boy on his adventure to see a dragon, up close, before he leaves his tiny arctic town for a more exciting life.

Thanks for your question and interest!
If you need more, I'll post again after Christmas. :)

message 20: by Keith (new)

Keith Oxenrider (mitakeet) | 1166 comments I'm not sure how much I can help with genre, I've been struggling with that for my own work (which is pretty far from fantasy, even if it is set in the same era). I can take a look and give you my feedback (probably after the first of the year) if you like...

message 21: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments Sure! Let me know where to send the PDF. Thanks a lot.

message 22: by Keith (new)

Keith Oxenrider (mitakeet) | 1166 comments PM me and I'll respond with my email. Or, you can Google my name, the benefit of a unique name...