Play Book Tag discussion

The Cellist of Sarajevo
This topic is about The Cellist of Sarajevo
October 2016: Historical Fiction > The Cellist of Sarajevo - Steven Galloway - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elise (ellinou) | 525 comments I feel bad saying this, but this book left me a bit indifferent. I didn't really get attached to any of the characters, and the story itself didn't touch me as much as I feel it should have. I should say, too, that a few months ago I went to an exhibition in Montreal where we visited a dozen libraries around the world with virtual-reality glasses (the exhibition was beyond awesome, by the way), and one of those was the Sarajevo library, in which a cellist was playing while it was burning down. I thought this was going to be that story, so I was slightly disappointed that it wasn't.

But my main "issue" with the book was how similar two of the three main characters were. I would have been nice to see different types of characters and different reactions to the war, and with Arrow there was a good start, but then Kenan and Dragan were very similar, had similar stories and the same reactions when things happened to them. It was a bit disappointing.

I also felt a general disconnect between Arrow, who's story took place over a week and more, and the two men, who just lived a day. It felt like I was reading two different stories which were just vaguely connected.

In conclusion, it was an okay read, but not one of the best.

LibraryCin | 8813 comments I think I rated it the same. 3 stars "ok".

Regina Lindsey | 1005 comments I'm so sorry to hear that. I really enjoyed this and actually convinced my husband to read it as well. He never reads. He enjoyed it as well.