Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Available to read MEMOIR/AUTOBIOGRAPHY

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rod (new)

Rod Baker | 106 comments Hey, so nice to find someone that is into memoir rather than YA fantasy! I have one memoir book out, (constant traveller r801168) another one finished but not out and am writing a short 30,000 word memoir of a road trip to Belize. I would be happy to reciprocate and read yours, rodvbaker(at) gmail.com

regards
rod baker

message 2: by Rod (new)

Rod Baker | 106 comments great, do you want to send me your email address or email me on the one I gave you in the last post, then I can email you the manuscript,

thanks again, Rod

message 3: by Garfield (new)

Garfield Whyte (garfieldwhyte) Rod wrote: "Hey, so nice to find someone that is into memoir rather than YA fantasy! I have one memoir book out, (constant traveller r801168) another one finished but not out and am writing a short 30,000 word..."

Hi Rod, last week I started a thread/group for Memoir - My Memoir for You (MMFU), so far no one has joined....would you be okay to join in or get some other persons interested so we can read and review memoirs?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Hoping to hear from you. Cheers!

message 4: by Garfield (new)

Garfield Whyte (garfieldwhyte) Windy wrote: "I would love to beta-read your memoir/autobiography, and hopefully arrange a swap later. My memior revisions should be comple at the end of March 2017. In the meantime, I'd love to work with you on..."

last week I started a thread/group for Memoir - My Memoir for You (MMFU), so far no one has joined....would you be okay to join in or get some other persons interested so we can read and review memoirs?

Hoping to hear from you. Cheers!

message 5: by Basimah (new)

Basimah Rasha (basimahrasha) | 5 comments Hello I am a new author writing my first book, a memoir. I would love for you to read over my manuscript 40k before I submit it to get published. I have edited 3 chapters and I can't seem to get to my last two chapters. I no longer can read my writing lol I need new eyes, new suggestions, and new feedback. I want to know if my work is flowing and if it's boring.If you are willing to help me please email me at rashastout@yahoo.com

Book Blurb
“The Epitome of Truth”
By: Basimah Stout
Memory is a funny thing. It’s a powerful and fallible source that reminds me of who I am and where I came from. I decided to write my book based on memories, but not just any kind of memories, my most powerful memories where I know my pain and curiosity has turned me into who I am today. Inside this book, I will give you an insight into my life. My introduction will give you an inside look on why and how I started writing my book, the first chapter will give a visual on how college naturally transformed me into a new level of consciousness, the next chapters will tell a story on how I feel about religion, and how I no longer listen to other people philosophy on how to connect with God. The last chapters will touch on moments where I present insight on how I survived in a single-parent household, how I experienced love, sex, and romance, how my relationship with my father became unsteady, how I coped after failed friendships, and how I found inner power after going to jail for the first time. This memoir has the potential for open minded readers and teachers to connect not to the memories from which this book is told, but to focus on the symbolic level of consciousness from which it is told. Accomplishments, failures, ignorance, wisdom, joy and pain we all go through it. All human life shares the same consciousness, just different perceptions of reality. To avoid hurting the living or distressing the dead, certain proper names has been changed. The main purpose for my story is to show growth from people and themes connected to my past. This memoir may ANNOY the vulgar, but may PLEASE the discerning. Enjoy!

message 6: by Eric (new)

Eric Brown (manaxshl) | 7 comments Hi, Windy
I just finished a memoir, comedy, cultural coming out book and am having trouble finding someone to beta read for me as I live in Germany and most of my friends are Germans. (I'm an American.) It's the third in a series of three and takes place in the early 70's in Greece. Does this sound like something that would interest you? Thanks so much for your consideration! Sincerely, Eric

message 7: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Paulson | 4 comments Eric wrote: "Hi, Windy
I just finished a memoir, comedy, cultural coming out book and am having trouble finding someone to beta read for me as I live in Germany and most of my friends are Germans. (I'm an Ameri..."

Eric,
Would you like me to give your new book a read? Just took a quick look at your On Beyond Yoga on Amazon - I think it looks interesting. I've just released a memoir after giving up trying to find someone to read it, so I know how that goes. I'm still looking for feedback on that.

Have a good day/evening!
PJ

message 8: by Eric (new)

Eric Brown (manaxshl) | 7 comments It's a song more and more of us are singing! I can't even get my family to read anything I write... which may be a blessing. If you think you may be interested in the Greek comedy, let me know. Obviously your memoir is about you, but what is the tone? Does it have a story someone who doesn't know you might like to read. Let me know.

message 9: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Paulson | 4 comments Eric wrote: "It's a song more and more of us are singing! I can't even get my family to read anything I write... which may be a blessing. If you think you may be interested in the Greek comedy, let me know. Obv..."

Hi Eric, Yes, I would be interested in a Greek comedy! :) I've had an obsession with Crete and that area for years. The Minoan culture fascinates me. That, Alsace, and Bavaria are my top three places to experience when I eventually travel abroad (some ancestors were from Alsace and Bavaria). From what I've seen, you write well, so I don't expect to be conflicted between delivering an honest opinion and trying to be supportive and polite.

Regarding mine, I'm not sure whether to be thorough or succinct. In 1996 Peter Jennings and Bob Brown thought my place and I were interesting enough to be on ABC Evening News during sweeps week. My lifestyle sometimes flies in the face of convention. I know you're from the US and living in Germany. I've thought the book might appeal to Europeans because it shows life and choices quite contrary to the "typical" American. If you go here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MPYNYY1 you can use the "Look Inside" feature to view the first several chapters. If it's not your cup of tea, you may know someone who might have an interest in reading about a year in the life of an oddball/unconventional American. :) It's about dealing with some adverse events, communing with nature, contemplating life, and living on one-tenth of my previous salary (with no electricity, furnace, plumbing, etc. - on purpose).

From the blurb:
Loss of job, ending romance, and repeated burglaries prompt an unconventional choice by the author to forego her city apartment, and embrace a simple, stripped-down life absent amenities such as plumbing, electricity, and central heat. Calling upon her pioneering spirit, she draws both serenity and strength from Mother Nature to savor life off the grid. During her rustic retreat, she creates a sanctuary in which she contemplates her own philosophies and life direction, ultimately transforming her outlook in the face of what appeared to have become a world gone mad.

The author has been described as a benign non-conformist -- someone who lives and experiences life on her own terms and values, and is not overly concerned with how humankind at large may judge that life path. This appraisal certainly is borne out in Summer of the Phoenix, as she comes to realize what it was that lent such richness to her experience of that summer.

message 10: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Paulson | 4 comments Windy, do you currently have something published? Or a blog or website?

message 11: by Garfield (new)

Garfield Whyte (garfieldwhyte) Hello anyone would like to read my all boys boarding school memoir? if so I can provide it by a gift for kindle from amazon or emailing you a pdf only about 120 pages. Cheers!

message 12: by Eric (new)

Eric Brown (manaxshl) | 7 comments Dear P.J. Thanks for the wonderful reply. Your book sounds interesting. After learning a bit about you, I'd kind of like to change my offer. I would love to have you read my book "On Beyond Yoga," which I think is much more up your alley... whatever that means! I guess what spawned the decision was hearing that you consider(ed) your self an oddball American. Also finding out your are a Taurus, like me! In return, I would love to read your book if you would be kind enough to send it to me. This way, you wouldn't have to take the time and trouble to go through the whole Beta process, but simply take the time to enjoy it, (or not). How does that sound to you? Let me know if you're still interested and I will send you copy of my book. (Mobi, PDF, or DOCX) Thanks a bunch! Eric

message 13: by P.J. (new)

P.J. Paulson | 4 comments Eric wrote: "Dear P.J. Thanks for the wonderful reply. Your book sounds interesting. After learning a bit about you, I'd kind of like to change my offer. I would love to have you read my book "On Beyond Yoga," ..."

Hi Eric, I'll be happy to start with "On Beyond Yoga" and send you a pdf of Summer of the Phoenix...I sent you my email address in a message.
PJ

message 14: by Irene (new)

Irene Vincent | 4 comments Hi Windy, I'm looking for feed back on my 63,000 word book, Book Two of A Spiritual Journey Trilogy which is a memoir, a visionary artist’s true adventure story of a spiritual quest for wisdom through art, dreams, visions, yogis, shamans, and ancient sites. It’s a stand-alone book, covering seven years, from 1983 to 1990. It’s an entertaining story of transformation that includes 90 images of her visionary art, yogis, and sacred sites. I posted it under Beta Readers. If interested you can email me. Thanks, Irene Vincent

message 15: by Rod (new)

Rod Baker | 106 comments great WINDY, would love to get your help on a beta read oF my newly written "Um, Where is Belize? A journey into the unknown."
a fun road-trip memoir, only 41,000 words. An looking for honest feedback. thanks

ROD

message 16: by Rod (new)

Rod Baker | 106 comments More on "Um, where is Belize" RE your previous question, I have one memoir published Constant Traveller R801168, mostly 5 star review in UK CA and US amazon and my website is rodbakerbooks.com

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Joy | 10 comments Hi all!

I'm looking for an honest reader that will provide constructive feedback on my 56,000-word grief memoir, THE COLOR OF KELP. Any helpers? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Jennifer Joy

message 18: by Basimah (new)

Basimah Rasha (basimahrasha) | 5 comments Hello All....
Im Looking for a beta reader to give me constructive criticism for my soon to be published memoir. It's roughly around 46,000 words. Can anyone please help me!

Basimah Rasha

message 19: by Polly (new)

Polly Zetterberg | 75 comments Hi Lisa-
My favorite genre for reading is memoir, so I would love to read your story.
I am a trained editor, and usually would ask for a reading fee, but 100 pages puts the ms. way below my minimum, in other words-free!

I will be available by Feb 1 to read. I hope that time frame works for you.

Please see my website if you are interested in any editing work.
http://zetterbergediting.com

Hope to hear soon,

Polly

message 20: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Ludlum (suzanneludlum) | 3 comments Hi Windy,
I just completed my memoir and am looking for a beta reader. The topic is trauma, loss, recovery, healing, and hope. I'm hoping whoever reads it can begin right away.
Thanks!

message 21: by Meg (new)

Meg Reid | 19 comments I am seeking beta readers for a completed memoir at 65,000 words. It's a cross between Glass Castle and Eat, Pray, Love that also explores my identity as a women as I search for a life of purpose.

I will return the favor.

If interested, email me at megrreid@gmail.com

Thanks!
Meg

message 22: by Denele (new)

Denele Hello fellow memoir writers!

I'm seeking a beta read for a completed work, "My Life With Parker Grant" containing 93,000 words. It's under my pen name of Liz Ashworth. I'm looking for an opinion on overall story line and content, not editing. Although if you see something that needs editing, please speak up!

Here's the blurb:

In her first weeks of college, Leidell Pierce met a man who would become her husband. Parker Grant offered everything she’d ever wanted—acceptance, love, and a way out of an oppressive family life. Their adventurous lives together moved from the nation’s heartland to the West Coast to the Philippine Islands. They should have been happy.

But like many women coming of age in the late 1960s, Leidell hardly understood the forces that drove her. Powerless to deny her instinctive quest for independence, she would soon suffer the guilt and social condemnation that befell so many young women as they forged new paths of liberation. Painful and shocking, her story chronicles the seven year relationship.

Told from the vantage of fifty years hence, Leidell Pierce’s journey with Parker Grant provides a wrenching insight to a transformational generation and one woman’s search for love.