A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

Book 6

Comments Showing 1-50 of 117 (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by LQ (new)

LQ (to the max!) | 1 comments When's it coming out?

message 2: by Slick (new)

Slick | 53 comments HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA XD

Never. I feel your pain though.

message 3: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments I have heard a rumor the author doesn't intend to finish the book series.

message 4: by Dana (new)

Dana | 70 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I have heard a rumor the author doesn't intend to finish the book series."
Yeah.
Less a rumor than a statement that becomes more obvious with the passage of time, that GRRM is done with ASoIaF.
My personal guess to why, is that then, he would have to face working on the 7th book, (and possibly 8th book) and he has lost the drive to finish. GoT will give a end, and he will be able to say that's not how he would do without doing more work.
Or to be kinder in a way, I would say: The passage of time, combined with a very idiosyncratic writing discipline, has simply made it impossible for him to finish.
It should be fun to see GRRM's response when this become a more common thread on social media.
I could see him releasing Book 6 to the publisher, just to say: see I can still do it. It could not be worse that 2 of the last three books, and even though it's setting the bar low, it could be better.

message 5: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments I would appreciate it if he just finishes the book series. He just has too many projects going at one time.

message 6: by Dana (new)

Dana | 70 comments Slick wrote: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA XD

Never. I fee..."

Don't be mean...

message 7: by Slick (new)

Slick | 53 comments I'm not being mean, closer to despair...

I agree he's done with ASOIAF, too many projects going on at once..

message 8: by Dana (new)

Dana | 70 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I would appreciate it if he just finishes the book series. He just has too many projects going at one time."
I think most of his remaining fans echo that sentiment.
That said, though, consider:
His current projects are him mostly editing(some with Gardner Dozois), some novellas and short stories. The "Wild Card" stuff dates back to 1987, I think. He also has sold "Wild Cards" to HBO I think.
All of these things are work, but nothing like completing a almost half million word novel, with another at least as big remaining to be started. (Assuming he can finish with ADoS)
That's a lot of words and I think he's waving the white flag.
But it's not over till the fat man sings, so we shall see.
(Not to mention there are some really good, really readable, young fantasy writers out there...)

message 9: by Japhia (new)

Japhia | 332 comments I think he's editing and agonizing over every detail. It's got to be intimidating writing such a huge series.

message 10: by Manda (new)

Manda | 9 comments A Feast for Crows was published in 2005. A Dance with Dragons was published in 2011. Six years apart. If GRRM continues at that pace, Winds of Winter will come out in 2017. If he's slowing down (the man is 68 years old), maybe it will be 2018. Don't despair.

message 11: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments My concern is that he will pass away before finishing the series and unlike Robert Jordan, Martin doesn't have any prodigy to finish it, if that should happen.

message 12: by Dana (new)

Dana | 70 comments Manda wrote: "A Feast for Crows was published in 2005. A Dance with Dragons was published in 2011. Six years apart. If GRRM continues at that pace, Winds of Winter will come out in 2017. If he's slowing down (th..."
That's a good point and maybe we will see book 6 at some point in time. It's easy to forget the lag between FfC and DwD, because may like me came into the books with the tv series. There are plenty of writers in their 70's and above that are still productive.
We shall see.

message 13: by Manda (new)

Manda | 9 comments Yeah, I think people also forget how much longer his books are than the average novel. Dance was 422,000 words. The average adult novel is closer to 100,000 words so it makes sense that it takes several years to complete each one.

message 14: by Dantezgirl (new)

Dantezgirl | 195 comments no date announced yet

message 15: by Dana (new)

Dana | 70 comments Manda wrote: "Yeah, I think people also forget how much longer his books are than the average novel. Dance was 422,000 words. The average adult novel is closer to 100,000 words so it makes sense that it takes se..."
And yet there are writers that consistently publish that number of words or more in two years or less.
GRRM takes the amount of time he takes because he wants to, not has to, and his publishers really have nothing that they can do to make him work faster.
It's his work to finish or not as he sees fit. Maybe he can do it...but he is 68...and will likely be 69 or even 70 before he finishes book 6. And then will face pulling all of what he has written into a ending. And do it in a book that isn't 3/4 million words and 2000 pages. And if he can't do that, then a book 8. Hopefully he will live to be 100, and be more active than Frederik Pohl in his 90s.
BTW Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time) published about 4 million words in 20 odd years...about a 200K-400K book every 2 years. It's not that it takes time, it takes working on the project.

message 16: by Anita (new)

Anita Frost (starbuckdk) | 1 comments I don't see this series as one that really needs an ending. He has created a whole universe with a large number of great characters, all in the middle of their own interesting story. His world comes alive somehow. You can almost sense that while you are reading about the north, pieces are still moving around in the south. And while we follow some more than others there is a very organic flow of characters coming and going for various reasons. I can't see any satisfying way to wrap it up.

I guess putting a new family on the Iron Throne would be a fitting ending as it marks the end of an era in the Kingdom. But as far as all the other story-lines and characters go, I would rather just leave them where they are at the time, rather than trying to tie everything up in a nice neat little bow that seems artificial and out of place.

message 17: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) I agree with Anita. I already know how I want it to end. If GRRM dies before he can finish this series then he can't screw up the happy ending for my favorites or water down the horrific deaths of the characters who deserve it.

message 18: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments I prefer a conclusion. It doesn't have to be neat little bow, just finish the series.

message 19: by Japhia (new)

Japhia | 332 comments Remember you're only complaining about the 6th book. Once it comes out we'll read it in a weekend and start the wait again for book seven. So, it's going to be at least 2025 to finish the series.

My goal is currently finish series before I die. If I die before it'll be a bummer but at least I'll be dead.

message 20: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments If you die before you finish the series, you can haunt the author until he finishes it. :)

message 21: by Manda (new)

Manda | 9 comments Dana wrote: "Manda wrote: "Yeah, I think people also forget how much longer his books are than the average novel. Dance was 422,000 words. The average adult novel is closer to 100,000 words so it makes sense th..."

Super fast writers exist. I was simply pointing out that is not the norm. Robert Jordan may have been able to average a little over 200,000 words a year and I'll bet Brandon Sanderson writes even more than that but they are exceptions to the rule. Mr. Sanderson says he often spends 12 hours a day writing and while that's awesome for his fans, that's not realistic for everyone.

I really think book 6 will be published in the next couple of years. As for book 7, we'll see. I'd love to read the conclusion to the series but if I can't, I'll still be happy I got to experience the six previous books.

message 22: by Dana (new)

Dana | 70 comments Super fast writers exist. I was simply pointing out that is not the norm. Robert Jordan may have been able to average a little over 200,000 words a year -snip- not realistic for everyone.."
You know, it's funny in a pointless sort of way. I can't help but point out that a 400K word book that takes 7 years to write is not quite 60k words a year...

message 23: by Japhia (new)

Japhia | 332 comments But he's not just writing words. He's pulling from thin air a whole world full of characters that are so real to the readers that we can talk about their motivations and history and fears.

I'd be more upset if he finished both books by 2018 and they were trash. I'd feel so ripped off and like my love of the books was unfounded. If he rushes and the ending is boring and basic. It'll ruin the epic and his legacy. He's got a lot to live up to. This is way more than that.

message 24: by Dantezgirl (new)

Dantezgirl | 195 comments @Jap
Same. Rather wait for quality than rushed quantity.

message 25: by Manda (new)

Manda | 9 comments Dana wrote: "Super fast writers exist. I was simply pointing out that is not the norm. Robert Jordan may have been able to average a little over 200,000 words a year -snip- not realistic for everyone.."
You kno..."

Dana wrote: "Super fast writer

And 422,000 words over six years is 70,000 words a year. You don't have to believe me when I say Martin is not so slow as folks make him out to be, but maybe you'll believe John Scalzi. http://whatever.scalzi.com/2011/07/17...

message 26: by Dana (last edited Oct 28, 2016 10:09AM) (new)

Dana | 70 comments I am not trying to draw conclusions about GRRM's qualities as a writer. He is a very good writer when he chooses to write. And he can finish ASoIaF or not as he chooses, that is his right as a writer.
Now personal opinion stuff:
I think he has not finished ASoFaI because he is not working on it. I am sure he feels he has very good reasons. I suspect that he is writers blocked and cannot do the work, but that's just me. Do I think he will release WoW, sure, maybe even before 2018, don't really care. Maybe I will pick the books up again when/if he finishes. Not really sure at this point.
Enough.
I have too many books, by really good writers, who want to write, and care if someone reads their work, waiting for me to read.
Cheers!

message 27: by Japhia (new)

Japhia | 332 comments I found a great Neil gaiman blog post about this subject.
http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05...

But i think it's more likely that he his rewriting every chapter and agonizing over every word bc his crazy fans analyze his text like literary CSI.

message 28: by Dantezgirl (new)

Dantezgirl | 195 comments @Sarah
I'm quite enjoying the show. Whether it follows it's own beat or Martins, I look forward to seeing both finished at some point.

message 29: by Japhia (new)

Japhia | 332 comments Would that be the worst thing? I enjoy reading the content surrounding asoiaf.

Putting an ending would put a cap on that creativity. Don't get me wrong I want the ending but I think it could be interesting to see what becomes without one as well.

message 30: by Slick (new)

Slick | 53 comments No I'd rather have an ending.
I understand what you mean about ASOIAF world being so interesting but the story needs an ending.

I heard a rumour that if GRRM died he said he still wouldn't let anybody else finish his series, anybody know if this is true?

message 31: by Japhia (new)

Japhia | 332 comments I don't think it's true.

message 32: by Lanelika (new)

Lanelika | 2 comments It is true. Read this http://winteriscoming.net/2015/12/02/... George R.R. Martin Doesn’t Want Anyone Else Writing in the A Song of Ice and Fire Universe.

message 33: by Dana (new)

Dana | 70 comments JaphiaHart wrote: "I don't think it's true."
Actually I think he has said that.
Also, because he does not keep notes and does not have a outline that he is working from, I don't think it would be possible.

message 34: by Japhia (new)

Japhia | 332 comments If he dies and doesn't want anyone to finish it for him I think creatively that's his decision to make. Would break my tiny heart. GRRM not wanting to finish feels irrational. Why would he not want to finish the series? GRRM Having trouble finishing I can understand but not wanting too...Feels like conspiracy theories and needless handwringing.

message 35: by Dana (new)

Dana | 70 comments JaphiaHart wrote: "If he dies and doesn't want anyone to finish it for him I think creatively that's his decision to make. Would break my tiny heart. GRRM not wanting to finish feels irrational. Why would he not want..."
I don't think there is any question about him wanting to finish, I'm sure he does. I do think there are lots of hints that he is having trouble finishing. We will just have to wait and see.
In a ideal world, book 6 is finished and at the publishers, and it will release in time for GoT season 7.

message 36: by Japhia (new)

Japhia | 332 comments @Dana
I want to live in that world.

message 37: by Eyehavenofilter (new)

Eyehavenofilter | 764 comments I'm gong to cry for a very long time.

message 38: by Dana (new)

Dana | 70 comments Ana {The Good Gif Fairy} wrote: "Latest book news- upcoming 6th and 7th book installments to be released simultaneously. (although nothing has yet been confirmed)

I dare not hope and yet..."

This would make much more since at this point, book 6 is so late already, why not.

message 39: by Slick (new)

Slick | 53 comments There's a part of me that's really whiny about GRRM & ASOIAF but when you really stop to think about it, the sheer mass of it all..

The many POV characters and their individual stories, the main story, tying it all together. The sheer massive scope of the worldbuilding and history in Westeros and the Free Cities...

There's so much work as well as the TV Show, Egg and Dunk and Wildcards. GRRM said early on that writing for Winds was going really well and until he took his foot off the gas for 6 months...

I can't really blame him for that, it seems the only person who can't just sit back and enjoy his masterpiece is the guy who made it..

message 40: by Slick (new)

Slick | 53 comments Ana {The Good Gif Fairy} wrote: "It's all about inspiration. Dealing with writer's block isn't easy. He's writing too slowly, but quality takes time. Everyone is disappointed, but no one is more disappointed than him. ."

True!

message 41: by Dana (new)

Dana | 70 comments Here's the thing.
GRRM will finish or not finish ASoIaF when or if he sees fit. It's his right. And I do understand the level of difficulty involved here.
That said, it is very unlikely I will ever finish the books even if he does. I suspect not a small number of readers feel the same. While there are many characters who's acts I would love to see concluded, I just don't have the energy or time to mess with these books anymore. The reality is that so much time has passed I would have to reread the whole set to make since of the ending, and frankly (in my opinion) at least 2 of these books don't justify the time needed to read the couple of million words that this will turn out. On top of that there are many writers turning out books I feel passionate about that I want to read, and where the reading is something I enjoy, and not work.
Maybe in 5-6 years, when GRRM finally finishes and I am retired, I will change my mind, but for now I am done with ASoIaF.

message 42: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Farshaw | 8 comments Ana {The Good Gif Fairy} wrote: "quality takes time"

There were only two year gaps between book 1 and 2, and book 2 and 3, and they were fantastic. Book 4 and 5 on the other hand were mediocre at best, despite the longer time we had to wait.

#SaveDaredevil #AndAMovie  (savedaredevil_andamovie) Happy New Year to all. And so begins a new year of waiting for ASOIAF6.

message 44: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments That might be awhile

message 45: by Slick (new)

Slick | 53 comments I can't wait to continue this discussion in 2018

message 46: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments It's might be longer :)

message 47: by Dana (new)

Dana | 70 comments Or 2020...

message 48: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 1113 comments true

message 49: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Farshaw | 8 comments Welcome back my friends to the wait that never ends.

message 50: by Celise (new)

Celise (celise_) | 4 comments Out of curiosity, when (if) we get a release date, is anyone else considering rereading the first 5? I feel like I've forgotten the subtle details and hints, and rereading them might make the 6th more rewarding, but I don't know if I can get through that many pages again.

« previous 1 3