Fans of British Writers discussion

General Discussions > Does anyone recognise this quote?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janet (new)

Janet Duignan | 1 comments Many years ago I read a book by a British author (possibly who uses initials instead of first name). If I remember correctly - it was about a mature couple who get together in the end after the world they knew has changed irreparably (was it India at the time of the end of the Raj?). Although he loves her, she is less sure but says something like (sorry, I can't remember the exact quote either: 'Living with an admirer (or fan) is the greatest of life's compensations'.
Does anyone know the book?

message 2: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) | 102 comments No, but it sounds like a good book to read!

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol | 133 comments Oh, I know how you feel. You remember this fantastic quote from a book or even a magazine that totally sums up in a pithy way something you feel or know. The author says it so much better than you and you want to quote them. But you forget!!

But I do not know the book; I think I would have remembered it. Sounds very good.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul Toolan | 4 comments You probably don't mean A Passage To India by E M Forster, but I can't think of another.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan Jordan I don't recognize the quote, but I wonder if it's from the final book of The Raj Quartet.

message 6: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 599 comments L.H. Myers wrote a set of books set in India called The Root and the Flower. It is set in India but I am pretty certain that it ia set much earlier in time. It's a good book if you like them long.