RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

Reading-Challenges > Discussion thread for RMFAO 2017 Genre Challenge

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heena (last edited Oct 23, 2016 11:09AM) (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2174 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

RMFAO Genre Challenge has been the most loved reading challenge in this group and has encouraged a lot of readers to read genres they wouldn't have read otherwise. This year we had 24 genres (two genres per month.) Some were main genres and some were popular sub-genres and as a result, the readers got the chance to read a lot of genres.

For next year we are planning to tweak the present genre list (the ones we had this year) and to improve the challenge over all.
We have decided to let the readers suggest us different genres that they would love to read next year.

Please come forward and share the genres you'd like to read for the next year's Genre Challenge.
Your suggestions mean a lot to us as this challenge is for everyone.

If you're new to this challenge, please visit the threads of the previous challenges to get an idea how this challenge works and feel free to share your genre recommendations as well.

We won't be setting up a voteing round to take the final decision because I don't want non-participants to vote for random genres and, hence, affect the final selection of genres.
The final decision will be made by the Moderators only - Dagny and myself.

Thank you.

message 2: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3271 comments Mod
I'd like to strongly suggest that our regular poster/participants let us know your views - both likes and dislikes, as well as general comments. This will be very influential in the final line-up.

message 3: by Heena (last edited Oct 23, 2016 11:39AM) (new)

I agree with Dagny :)

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 1943 comments Mod
Genres I'd Like to See Added:
- Westerns
- Spy
- Biography/Autobiography
- more Non-Fiction subcategories

Genres I'd Like to See Combined Into Other Genres:
- New Adult combined into Young Adult genre
- Speculative Fiction combined into Fantasy genre
- Mythological combined with Re-Tellings genre
- Adventure combined into Action genre

message 5: by Heena (new)

I love your reccomendations, Cheryl, especially Biography/Autobio. :)
Also, I get your point, we'll try to combine these genres :)

Meanwhile, if you come across some more new genres that can be added, please share with us.

message 6: by Cheryl (last edited Oct 23, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Here's an idea:
You could combine a fiction genre (or 2 genres) with a non-fiction genre for each monthly challenge.

Examples:
- Historical Fiction and History non-fiction
- Mystery/Thriller and True Crime non-fiction
- Science Fiction and Science non-fiction
- Re-Tellings/Mythology and Spirituality/Mind and Body Wellness non-fiction
- Contemporay Fiction and Biography/Autobiography
- Romance Fiction and Travel non-fiction (and maybe Poetry)

(I'm not saying it would have to be these particular combinations, I'm just giving these as examples.)

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Another thought:
I don't know if Short Story Collection would be considered a genre or not. If it is, then you could consider that for the genre categories.

message 8: by Heena (new)

I love your suggestions! Thanks for sharing :)

And although short-story isn't a genre, I think we should have them for this genre because otherwise we tend to leave them out.

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Heena wrote: "And although short-story isn't a genre, I think we should have them for this genre because otherwise we tend to leave them out."

Maybe you could use "short story" as a bonus challenge within a month?
Other bonus challenges could be:
- read a book that was translated (originally written in a different language )
- audio book (that would challenge me and Heena, lol.)
- ebook

message 10: by Heena (new)

Hahaha! I'm with you Cheryl. What a fantastic idea!!!

You think keeping a bonus month on the whole will be a good idea? Like mid year or something?
There we can list 3-4 challenges like you mentioned. What do you think?

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

You think keeping a bonus month on the whole will be a good idea? Like mid year or something?
There we can list 3-4 challenges like you mentio..."

Heena,
I hadn't thought of an entire month of bonus challenges. But you could certainly do that.

I was thinking of just adding a bonus challenge occasionally during the year. For example: one month might be Romance and Westerns, with a Bonus Challenge of Audiobooks. That way, people who won't read either a Romance or a Western can "read" an audiobook of any genre.

message 12: by Heena (last edited Oct 26, 2016 06:10AM) (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Heena,
I hadn't thought of an entire month of bonus challenges. But you could certainly do that.

I was thinking of just adding a bonus challenge occasionally during the year. For example: one month might be Romance and Westerns, with a Bonus Challenge of Audiobooks. That way, people who won't read either a Romance or a Western can "read" an audiobook of any genre. "

Yes, what you propose sounds a lot better than having an entire month for bonuses, plus it'll be really fun to have bonus challenges in random months. It'll keep everyone attentive and excited!
Thanks a lot, Cheryl. I love all your ideas <3 Olease keep on sharing more :)

message 13: by Avinash (new)

Avinash (AvinashKrishnaB) | 6 comments I would like to propose Non-English classics anywhere during the year just to help the rest of the members to get acquainted with the richness of literature in the other languages too. I believe many of the readers will have some knowledge in couple of other languages apart from English. Am just pitching the idea based on this assumption!

message 14: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3271 comments Mod
Avinash wrote: "I would like to propose Non-English classics anywhere during the year just to help the rest of the members to get acquainted with the richness of literature in the other languages too. I believe ma..."

Excellent idea, Avinash, to explore non-English classics. I'm not sure many of us can speak/read other languages though. I know I can't, but I love to read classics from other countries in translation. So all we'd need to do is change your language assumption and include translations. Maybe not the best way to explore classics from other countries, but the only way for some of us.

message 15: by Cheryl (new)

Dagny wrote: "So all we'd need to do is change your language assumption and include translations. Maybe not the best way to explore classics from other countries, but the only way for some of us."

I, too, want to read books writen by non-english authors. I would have to read a translation, as english is all I can read. I'd love to see this as a bonus challenge!

message 16: by Avinash (new)

Avinash (AvinashKrishnaB) | 6 comments Cheryl wrote: "Dagny wrote: "So all we'd need to do is change your language assumption and include translations. Maybe not the best way to explore classics from other countries, but the only way for some of us."
..."

Yup, I second that. Bonus instead of monthly altogether!

message 17: by Avinash (new)

Avinash (AvinashKrishnaB) | 6 comments Dagny wrote: "Avinash wrote: "I would like to propose Non-English classics anywhere during the year just to help the rest of the members to get acquainted with the richness of literature in the other languages t..."

Well, I will change my suggestion little bit. Instead of classics, say short stories or poems? That way it will be less burden on the challengers to go and check dictionaries each and every time.

message 18: by Heena (last edited Oct 31, 2016 11:32PM) (new)

Avinash wrote: "I would like to propose Non-English classics anywhere during the year just to help the rest of the members to get acquainted with the richness of literature in the other languages too. I believe ma..."

Brilliant idea, Avinash! I have never read a book in Hindi (except for the Hindi course books in school) so I think this will be the perfect opportunity to read one. While we are at the topic, can you please suggest me a good novel that might be easy for me to read as a first-timer? A thriller/mystery will be fabulous.

message 19: by Heena (new)

Dagny - I completely forgot to mention this till now, there's an Indian detective series - Byomkesh Bakshi. I don't know a lot about him (it) but I do know that he is Indian Sherlock Holmes. And the writer is one of the most distinguihed authors in India. And his stories are really good. There was recently a Bollywood movie based on one two and it was really good!
I'll try and see if I can get a source that can provide his translated ebooks for free online.
Just thought I should run this past you as you love mysteries. :)

message 20: by Heena (new)

Cheryl Yeah! Translated works, can be one of the bonuses we were talking about earlier. :)