World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14966 comments For all those inhabited hostile islands, behind ISIS lines, alien invasion and similar situs and all, which of the two legendary weapons would you choose to back up your katana, ninja sword, machete or garrote?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AK-47
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle

message 2: by Michel (last edited Oct 23, 2016 09:00AM) (new)

Michel Poulin For short range, close-in fighting conditions, like jungles, urban areas, thick forests and the like, I will definitely prefer the AK-47. why? Because of its utter reliability in the worst conditions you could find; because its 7.62mm bullet has excellent stopping power against opponents situated near you; because it is simple and easy to both operate and maintain. At short ranges (0-200 m), its so-so accuracy is not really a factor. A weapon you can count on.

For longer ranges (200-400 m), the M-16 or one of its multiple clones, because of its better accuracy over the AK-47. However, apart from that better accuracy, I am not a true fan of the M-16. One old rifle I had a lot of respect for due to its accuracy at long range and hitting power was the FN Fal in 7.62mm NATO.

message 3: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Don't forget zombie hunting! If I'm packing an assault rifle in addition to a katanas, machete (my favorite is the Kukri), I imagine it will be because the dead are roaming the Earth. In this case, I defer to Michel's judgement on the issue. The AK-47 is highly preferable due to its ruggedness and simplicity, but the long-range fire of the M-16 might come in handy in some situation.

message 4: by Alex (last edited Oct 23, 2016 01:06PM) (new)

Alex (asato) Matthew wrote: "Don't forget zombie hunting! If I'm packing an assault rifle in addition to a katanas, machete (my favorite is the Kukri), I imagine it will be because the dead are roaming the Earth. In this case,..."

how about the Micro Tavar? It supposedly sports an integrated grenade launcher--handy against those zombie hordes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IWI_X95

how about a backup sidearm? A glock variation, 45 or 9mm? Or S&W M&P? Walther or SIG?

One should also consider the availability of ammo. Isn't 9mm more popular than .45?

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) You mean the Micro Tavor? Yep, its a pretty awesome weapon, and I know a guy who has one. As for a backup sidearm, I'd take a 9mm, most likely in the Glock variety. And yes, 9mm ammo is way more common. And as I recall, so is the NATO 5.56mm ammo, which the Tavor (and every other western assault rifle) uses.

Man, this makes we want to do zombie apoc fiction again!

message 6: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14966 comments Michel wrote: "For short range, close-in fighting conditions, like jungles, urban areas, thick forests and the like, I will definitely prefer the AK-47. why? Because of its utter reliability in the worst conditio..."

Cool and concise characteristics of pros and cons. I knew we can rely on military experts in attendance -:)

message 7: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14966 comments Matthew wrote: "Yep, its a pretty awesome weapon, and I know a guy who has one. As for a backup sidearm, I'd take a 9mm, most likely in the Glock variety. And yes, 9mm ammo is way more common. And as I recall, so is the NATO 5.56mm ammo, which the Tavor (and every other western assault rifle) uses.
Man, this makes we want to do zombie apoc fiction again!..."

Now that you are armed and equipped, you might as well embark on zombie mission -:)

message 8: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 10760 comments My vote also goes to the AK. Mainly based on reliability, although in my latest WIP in a small contest (1 on 4) the winner is a single shot sniper, who is far enough away and well enough concealed those with the assault rifles have non chance.

message 9: by Michel (last edited Oct 24, 2016 08:19PM) (new)

Michel Poulin Okay, Ian, but how good or even useful will your sniper be in the middle of a jungle, a thick forest or inside a building? You can choose your weapon, but you rarely get to choose your battleground. In some tight places, the best weapon is still a handgun or a PDW.

message 10: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan In the event of a Zombie Apocalypse, I would prefer some home grown firepower...

Youtube demo of a Lithgow Arms F90

Rifle (not carbine) + grenade launcher,

For a side arm, definitely a Glock 9mm with a large magazine capacity.

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Michel wrote: "Okay, Ian, but how good or even useful will your sniper be in the middle of a jungle, a thick forest or inside a building? You can choose your weapon, but you rarely get to choose your battleground..."

PDW? personal defense weapon? like a survival knife or a trench shovel?

message 12: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Nik wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Yep, its a pretty awesome weapon, and I know a guy who has one. As for a backup sidearm, I'd take a 9mm, most likely in the Glock variety. And yes, 9mm ammo is way more common. And ..."

I recommend creating zombie-hunter characters and mounting a quest! :)

message 13: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 10760 comments Michel, Quite often, a good commander does select his terrain. And in the jungle, the AK works very well - as shown in Viet Nam

message 14: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan PDW is typically deemed anything smaller than, or including an FN P90.

message 15: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin Ian wrote: "Michel, Quite often, a good commander does select his terrain. And in the jungle, the AK works very well - as shown in Viet Nam"

Well, I did say that the AK-47 was the better one for jungles, thick forests and inside buildings. As for selecting your terrain, in places like Vietnam, you don't find too many wide open spaces, just lots of jungle. I have gone through the drill and exercised in all kinds of terrains and with many types of weapons: I know what I am talking about.

message 16: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 14966 comments So, which one would you take for a little shopping trip in N. Korea? :)

message 17: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 0 comments Nik wrote: "So, which one would you take for a little shopping trip in N. Korea? :)"

Small tactical Nuke dropped from afar - sorry N Koreans sometimes a bigger bang is needed.

message 18: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 10760 comments Um, Nik, why go for a shopping trip where the shelves are empty?

message 19: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 3699 comments For those who don't have experience with the AR and/or AK platforms, here is the Gunny with a head to head comparison.

https://youtu.be/LHn6tYx8TMc

message 20: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 3699 comments In combat conditions, I would prefer the AK. A missed shot is a much smaller problem than a jam.

In hunting conditions, I would prefer the AR. Much larger selection of calibers.

message 21: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 0 comments I still prefer dropping something form afar - but that's Air Force for you.- join, fly over distant countries and drop hundreds of pounds of explosive before returning to nice hotel room in friendly country

BTW shot both no preference - both too big if you have to lump them around. Always one of my tests alongside ease of cleaning. Liked UK's SA80 when it came out but in desert was not so good. The SA80 replaced the bigger heavier SLR.