Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive > 2016 Choice Awards Voting - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Comments Showing 1-50 of 141 (141 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
No official date yet (as far as I can tell) but the opening round for the choice awards usually start at the beginning of November which we are getting very close to.

What is everyone's thoughts on which books will be on that opening round list?

message 2: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
Have you read all of these Stephanie? Are there any that you'd like to see win?

message 3: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 121 comments Dark Matter has to be in there somewhere. Just not sure if it will be sci-fi or thriller.

message 4: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
Matthew wrote: "Dark Matter has to be in there somewhere. Just not sure if it will be sci-fi or thriller."

Who knows with the Choice Award Categories eh Matthew? ;)

message 5: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I agree about Dark Matter. I think it should be under sci-fi though I wouldn't mind if it were assigned to thriller instead. That's not my favorite genre and I'm glad if I get to skip it :) (assuming that Dark Matter wins its category which I kind of expect given its popularity .. not quite deserving imho).

I read more new releases this year than in the previous ones, but I still don't feel like I'd be able to guess many of nominees (let along make a grounded decision).

I'm expecting a few of the books I've read to be nominated:

Morning Star
City of Blades perhaps (this one should be nominated, but I don't think it's for the masses)
Marked in Flesh
Monstress, Volume 1: Awakening
Glass Sword
The City of Mirrors
Kings Rising
A Torch Against the Night
All the Ugly and Wonderful Things

Of these, I would vote for Kings Rising (Fantasy/Romance?), City of Mirrors (Horror?), Monstress (Graphic Novel), All the Ugly and Wonderful Things (Fiction) and City of Blades (Fantasy).

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Matthew wrote: "Dark Matter has to be in there somewhere. Just not sure if it will be sci-fi or thriller."

Here, here!

message 7: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (last edited Oct 25, 2016 09:43PM) (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments I've been quite disappointed by the 2016 releases I've read so far. But today Brent Weeks The Blood Mirror came out, so there's hope!

Based on what I've read, I'd guess...

Historical Fiction
Mata Hari's Last Dance by Michelle Moran

Fantasy
The Last Mortal Bond by Brian Stavely

YA Fantasy
Calamity by Brandon Sanderson

Horror/Thriller/SciFi
The Fireman by Joe Hill - not that I'd vote for it

Mystery/Horror
End of Watch by Stephen King - not that I'd vote for it

Thriller/SciFi
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

Graphic Novels
Firelight by Kazu Kibuishi
Saga, Volume 6 by Brian K. Vaughan
Rat Queens, Vol. 3: Demons by Kurtis J. Wiebe

Regrettably I won't be able to vote for The Thorn of Emberlain by Scott Lynch, as its postponed until the cows come home.... But, this might actually be a blessing with The Blood Mirror out.

message 8: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 121 comments I haven't read it, but I have seen it and it looks pretty cool: Indeh by Ethan Hawke under Graphic Novel

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8 comments OMG is it that time already?? I had to write in a couple, but I still didn't read as many new releases as I wanted to this year. The humor category nominees aren't what I call humor. Guess I'm too old.

message 10: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Nov 01, 2016 01:31AM) (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
Well there ya go, they've definitely started early this year! I was kinda expecting Friday to be the date .......

Anyway, for anyone who hasn't seen the voting has started! https://www.goodreads.com/choiceaward...

Opening Round, Nov. 1 - 6

Semifinal Round, Nov. 8 - 13

Final Round, Nov. 15 - 27

message 11: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2017 comments Mod
Yay!!!

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5946 comments Mod
Yay! So excited. I love voting. :) Can't wait to see what we'll be reading next year.

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "OMG is it that time already?? I had to write in a couple, but I still didn't read as many new releases as I wanted to this year. The humor category nominees aren't what I call humor. Guess I'm too ..."

A lot of the humor category is memoirs. At first, I thought maybe they might be funny memoirs by comedians, but not all of them are. They seem to be in the wrong category.

I tried to write in a book that was published October 25th 2016 and it told me the pub date was ineligible. When I clicked on the librarians link, it brought me to the 2015 thread. I think they have a few blips this year.

message 14: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 121 comments Kristie wrote: "I tried to write in a book that was published October 25th 2016 and it told me the pub date was ineligible. When I clicked on the librarians link, it brought me to the 2015 thread. I think they have a few blips this year. ."

I ran into the same thing, but when I reported it on the 2015 feed, they did fix it right away!

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Thanks, Mathew! I reported in the 2016 thread. I'll try it again when I'm back at my laptop and see if it's fixed. I wonder if they had the dates set wrong. Seems a lot of people are having the same issue.

message 16: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2017 comments Mod
same here

message 17: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I wrote in three books without issues.

The categories are always a mess imo. I have no idea how they come up with the nominees in the first place, but I'm guessing it's something like the most popular books shelved consistently as humor?

message 18: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Janina wrote: "I wrote in three books without issues.

The categories are always a mess imo. I have no idea how they come up with the nominees in the first place, but I'm guessing it's something like the most pop..."

That might be... and some people find some interesting things "humourous"...

I'm shocked by how few new releases I read this year.

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I feel like I read quite a few new releases, but not many that were nominated. Though, several are still waiting on my TBR.

message 20: by CassieV (new)

CassieV | 13 comments I'm excited that I have read more of the nominees than last year! At least for my favorite genre YA Fantasy.

I do have quite a few new releases still sitting here that I meant to get to and just hadn't had time yet. Some are nominees and some aren't.

I'd say I was about 50/50 on my guesses though from the 2016 I marked as interested in versus what was actually nominated. At least so far. The second round seems to add in quite a few from what I've seen the last few years.

I'm always hesitant to vote for something I haven't read, but for at least the first round I like to try to select a few I'm interested in, just to help them get further in the process. ;) I usually abstain from final round voting, though, unless I really have read the book.

message 21: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 834 comments That is a good idea Cassie, (about voting what you are interested in the first two rounds and then voting what you have read the final). I always don't know what to do. I feel like if I vote for something I haven't read, someone is going to scold me! LOL
How do any others of you do it?

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I usually only vote for what I've read and hope that other people liked the ones I want to read enough to get them through to the next round. I have occasionally voted for want to read books though, particularly if there's a book that I didn't care for competing against it.

This time around, I only voted for books I've already read, except for Heartless. I really want to read that one and I liked the author's previous books. I haven't read it yet because it hasn't even been released, but have first hold at the library.

I don't know why books that haven't been released yet are in the poll. It seems to go against the nature of the poll. But, I guess those books stay in because of people who vote for what they want to read and favorite authors, etc. It really does seem to be a popularity contest at times. I suppose if they didn't want people voting for want to reads, they would change the way they do that.

message 23: by CassieV (new)

CassieV | 13 comments I want to read Heartless, too!

I looked back over it and I actually only voted for one that I hadn't read. But I did write in two that I thought looked more interesting than what was there.

A lot of categories I skipped, though, because I just don't read anything that would fit there.

I agree with the popularity contest feel at times, but I'm not sure there would be a better way to do it, so I just take it for fun and enjoy it ;).

message 24: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 121 comments I vote for both books I have read and those I haven't - the ones I haven't I am truly interested in reading. If I get scolded for showing my interests . . . well, then I just don't know what to think!

message 25: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I think my aversion to voting for books that I haven't read is that I have occasionally had books that I can't wait to read or that are very popular with my GR friends and when I read them I'm completely disappointed. I don't want to vote for a book then really not like it. I do think though that there are some authors where I like pretty much everything they write and it's fairly safe to vote for their books.

Cassie - I almost always skip the poetry section because I don't care for poetry. Also, there are certain categories that I just don't read often, like science & tech. Sometimes I'll vote, but usually I just feel that I don't have a strong (or any) opinion in those categories.

Matthew- I hope no one scolds you for having an opinion! Everyone does it differently. If you vote for what you're interested in, that's how you do it.

message 26: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments I love Stephen King.... He has so many brilliant works. However I don't feel End of Watch is one of them and I won't be voting for it.
Sometimes it's hard to vote for the book NOT the author.

message 27: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (funkygman007) | 121 comments ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ wrote: "I love Stephen King.... He has so many brilliant works. However I don't feel End of Watch is one of them and I won't be voting for it.
Sometimes it's hard to vote for the book NOT the author."

I understand that! There are two or three books I read this year that are in the mix that, even if they are the only one I read in a category, there is no way I can vote for them.

message 28: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ wrote: "I love Stephen King.... He has so many brilliant works. However I don't feel End of Watch is one of them and I won't be voting for it.
Sometimes it's hard to vote for the book NOT the author."

I thought End of Watch was great! lol

message 29: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Heartless.... doesn't even come out before the opening round is over. The cut off dates for entries is messed up.
Things like that make me wonder if publishers pay money to have their books nominated.

message 30: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Kristie wrote: "ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ wrote: "I love Stephen King.... He has so many brilliant works. However I don't feel End of Watch is one of them and I won't be voting for it.
Sometimes it's hard to vote for the book..."

I think its all SK thrillers for me. I want horror from that man. I'm glad you enjoyed it though :)

message 31: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Nov 01, 2016 03:26PM) (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ wrote: "Heartless.... doesn't even come out before the opening round is over. The cut off dates for entries is messed up.
Things like that make me wonder if publishers pay money to have their books nominated."

I think it's more of a case of how many arcs the publishers chuck out before publication date - the book has already got a ridiculous amount of ratings and reviews

message 32: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Haha... Of course, his thrillers are usually excellent too. :)

message 33: by Janina (last edited Nov 01, 2016 04:50PM) (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I think it would just make much more sense if they accepted books published until 10/31 and the November books would count for the following year. Or move the voting process to December, but they (whomever the ominous they are) probably want to get it done in time for the holiday shopping extravaganza?

I vote for books I haven't read. I am in now way qualified for any of these polls nor are 99% of the other voters. Reading one book, liking it and thus voting it makes no more sense than voting for a book you expect to like. In oder to make an informed decision, you would have to read every nominee for any category you're voting in. Which would lead to barely anyone voting at all and highly subjective results.

Of course, it's a popularity contest. But, there's a ton of serious literary awards out there if one prefers such results.

I only wish they would organize/moderate the categories better.. But I have no qualms voting for every one. And, I do unless there isn't a single book in it that interests me (looking at you memoirs & autobiographies)

message 34: by Angela M (new)

Angela M I voted only in the categories where I had read some of the books :

Fiction:
My vote - My Name Is Lucy Barton - 5 stars
Commonwealth - 4 stars
Another Brooklyn- 4 stars

Historical Fiction:
My vote : News of the World- 5 stars
A Gentleman in Moscow - 5 stars
To The Bright Edge of the World - 4 stars
The Moon in the Palace - 4 stars
The Underground Railroad - 4 stars
Lilac Girls - 5 stars
Glory over Everything: Beyond The Kitchen House - 4 stars

Debut Goodreads Author:""
My vote :Lilac Girls - 5 stars
Behold the Dreamers - 3 stars

I'll be interested in what others here have read and voted for .

message 35: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (teff1979) | 69 comments It always seems I am reading the books after the list comes our or when we read them. I wish I had more time to read or at least be able to read some of them before I see them on the list. What list do you all read off of during the year. If I do read any of them they are the picture books or maybe a childrens. And that is if I see them come up after being entered in the system at my job.

message 36: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Making a GRCA folder for 2016 makes all the worries and stress of life just melt away.... Ahhh... happiness :)

message 37: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ wrote: "Making a GRCA folder for 2016 makes all the worries and stress of life just melt away.... Ahhh... happiness :)"

ha ha ha

Thanks ally, that totally put a smile on my face this morning :)

message 38: by CassieV (new)

CassieV | 13 comments Stephanie wrote: "It always seems I am reading the books after the list comes our or when we read them. I wish I had more time to read or at least be able to read some of them before I see them on the list. What lis..."

I used this list: https://www.goodreads.com/book/popula...

On the right side, you can change the month and year, so if you move toward the future, you can see not yet published books. I kept browsing through the months during this year and picking things that looked interesting. I wasn't totally successful in finding the books that were nominated, but it helped :).

Not sure if that will help you, but that's what I did this year.

Also, there are listopias like The Can't Wait Books of 2017 or Can't Wait Best New Romances for 2017. Sometimes I browse through those :).

message 39: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
Stephanie - We use the list that Cassie just posted on these boards and discuss each month. You can find them here https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 40: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8 comments You know, I made an effort to read more new releases this year. And I think I only saw 2 or 3 I'd read, and I wrote in 2.

message 41: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I ended up writing in a few this time around.

message 42: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Nov 06, 2016 07:53AM) (new)

Today is the last day for round 1 voting already! Hope everyone voted for their favorites (however you choose to use your votes)! Can't believe round 2 will be starting soon. :)

message 43: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Just a heads up for everyone - Last year we were able to post our group calendar on December 1st. However, this year the winners will be announced December 7th. We will have our calendar up pretty quickly after that.

message 44: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I wonder what we'll have for series this time??

message 45: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Nov 06, 2016 10:31AM) (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
Kristie wrote: "I wonder what we'll have for series this time??"

Oh don't ..... all those series (while I'm sat here putting the list together) give me nightmares! lol

message 46: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Lynn wrote: "Kristie wrote: "I wonder what we'll have for series this time??"

Oh don't ..... all those series (while I'm sat here putting the list together) give me nightmares! lol"

Hahaha...I know! It's a challenge every year. :) This year wasn't too bad though. We'll have a better idea once we get through to the next round.

message 47: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Nov 07, 2016 03:48AM) (new)

Lynn | 4069 comments Mod
Kristie wrote: "Just a heads up for everyone - Last year we were able to post our group calendar on December 1st. However, this year the winners will be announced December 7th. We will have our calendar up pretty ..."

I've been mulling this over ....... why on earth do they need so long to announce the winners?!? 10 days to confirm the votes seems ridiculous.

I'm getting more and more irritated by this every day.

message 48: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

It does seem like a long time. I don't know why it takes them so long.

message 49: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Lynn wrote: "Kristie wrote: "Just a heads up for everyone - Last year we were able to post our group calendar on December 1st. However, this year the winners will be announced December 7th. We will have our cal..."

That's a good point. No one is mailing in ballots....

message 50: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Right and it takes them a lot less time between rounds, so it doesn't make sense.

« previous 1 3