2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Little Women
This topic is about Little Women
ARCHIVE 2016 > Little Women: Chapter 37-47

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Winter (winter9) | 4630 comments This is the discussion thread for Little Women Chapter 37-47

Kate Ok just finished this. I have to admit, I made myself read this. Like everyday forced myself to get through it. But as much as I dreaded picking this up, in the end it was rather good. I will probably never read it again but I can understand why it is considered a Classic.

message 3: by Mindy (last edited Nov 12, 2016 11:05AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) Good job plowing through! Sometimes I force myself to finish books I'm not enjoying, and sometimes I don't. I did enjoy this one.

For this section, I absolutely hated chapter 38. Meg was so infantilized and John was so patronizing! I liked that they both realized that they needed to raise the kids together and prioritize themselves more, but John's talking to Meg like she was one of the children was just gross. I know that marital roles worked like that at the time but it still was yucky to read.

I did like that Marmee was against corporal punishment. She said so early in the book. Surely that was very unconventional for the day! And John got strict with Demi without any violence. I read that Alcott's father, who ran various schools and wrote about education, was a controversial figure and I wonder if he had similar "radical" ideas that got him into trouble.

I liked that Jo married who she loved, not who might have been most advantageous.

I felt kind of "oh brother" about the perfect ending. I just don't think families are like that, and weren't even then. Everybody SO darn happy and perfect and the family so harmonious! Life is more disappointing than that.

The exception was the ill child, perhaps following in frail Beth's path? We know that LM Alcott lost a sister who languished like Beth did, so maybe writing about and insinuating death helped her deal with that terrible trauma.

Cassandra | 5832 comments This story is one that I usually would think of as tied up with a bow too tightly and generally just too "nice" and perfect, but I think that's actually the strength of this book. It's definitely dated, but also a bit progressive.

I did like that Jo married the person she loved, but the ending with the school for boys surprised me. Do you think that it fits her character well?

Cassandra | 5832 comments Also, now that we've finished Little Women, does anyone plan to read Little Men?

Zoë Neo | 214 comments Just finished, I too was forcing myself to read it in parts but in the end I enjoyed it. I quite liked that she had the school for boys, for some reason it didn't surprise me. I think I felt that her character was changing as she fell for the professor, but she still had some of her older characteristics so it seemed quite fitting for me that she wasn't being a 'typical' housewife.

message 7: by Becky (new) - added it

Becky | 131 comments I was a little late in finishing this one but I was really happy that I joined this group read and read it. I was so happy when Jo ended up getting married. I was a little worried that she would never find anyone and then regret rejecting Laurie.

I know it was a sappy ending where they all lived happily ever after but I think that's a great way to end a story this time of year.