Sci-Fi & Fantasy Girlz discussion

The Weird, Fun, & Miscellaneous > Jessica Jones Second Season

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gary (new)

Gary | 1472 comments This is an interesting development:
Jessica Jones’ Second Season Will Only Feature Female Directors

"...showrunner Melissa Rosenberg and her team are doubling down on Jessica Jones’ message of female empowerment by hiring female directors for every episode of the second season."
Full article: http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/10/jessi...

Thematically, I think this makes perfectly good sense. The first season had nine directors by my count, three of whom were women. I'm not sure how much directorial choices might have made a difference in any particular episode, and making it a 100% female list of directors—rather than, say, picking the directors and then announcing that they just all happen to be female—smacks of a bit of a stunt. Of course, the meninists will lose their shit, but since that probably was the case for the show in the first place I doubt that'll do anything more than troll the trolls a bit. And even as a stunt... why not? It's not like there's a lack of talent out there, and the show itself is geared for it.

message 2: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) | 156 comments I think that's a lovely idea. If there's one thing that both Jessica Jones and Luke Cage have impressed me with, its the way they break the mold on traditional superheroes, and how the vast majority are both white and male.