What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The School Story
This topic is about The School Story
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Middle grade fiction, read 5+ years ago. Girl writes book, gets published by mom's agency but mom doesn't know it was her. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MaWhit (new) - added it

MaWhit  (mawhit) | 43 comments My daughter can't remember the name of a book she wants me to read. She read it for the first time 5 or 6 years ago, but does not recall when it was published. I pit middle grade fiction because she says it is not really young adult, but it is more complex than younger books. The cover of the book may have had red blocky letters, with a picture of a girl holding a book in her hand. My daughter initially thought the name of the book might be The School Book, but we aren't finding it.

This girl in middle school writes a book and has her friend read it. Her friend tells her she should get it published, so they decide to do it. They get a secret mailbox and phone and her friend pretends to be her agent. They hire the MC's mom through the publishing agency her mom works at (without her mom knowing it is her daughter's book), and the book gets published under a pen name . When the book is released it is successful, and she attends a party and reveals her identity to her mom.

The mom is single, the dad is not around, and they may live in New York. There is a big father figure presence in the book that she writes. The friend's name might start with a K, and there is a really mean boss who did not want the mom to publish the book because she wanted to be the one to publish such a great book.

Is this ringing a bell with anyone?

message 3: by MaWhit (new) - added it

MaWhit  (mawhit) | 43 comments Yes, that's it! Thanks!

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16273 comments Cool, glad to help. :)