The Milexy Universe discussion

Carrie
This topic is about Carrie
Carrie (October 2016) > Spoilery Discussion!

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Camille, Mil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Camille Dent (thecamillion) | 90 comments Mod
Carrie deals with multiple harsh issues, including religious oppression, bullying, puberty, child abuse from the parent, remorse, and living with the lasting effects of careless actions.

That is just a list of the themes that I personally noticed while reading.
What do you think is the true heart or focus of Carrie's story? Do you think that there was a specific factor that effected her more than all the others?
Is there a moral that you took away from this novel, or do you think it was simply written for the sake of tragedy?

These questions are extremely open-ended, and you are more than welcome to raise your own questions or make statements that have nothing to do with the questions above ^.^ They are simply a guide to help get conversation started if necessary.

Viviana (vivi-wanderlust) | 14 comments More than just one aspect, I think it was everything around Carrie's life that affected her, but especially her mother. Without her, Carrie would have probably lived a normal life, and she might have never suffered from bullying (though we cannot be sure of that, children are cruel). Her mother's fanatical religious belief made her isolated and asocial, which we already know are the targets of bullies. I think it's important to note that it is not religion itself that affected her life, but the way her mother interpreted religion.
It's Stephen King, although I haven't read that many novels by him (only two actually), I'm pretty sure this can't be more than a book written just for the sake of tragedy, but of course, we can take away a moral from this novel. We can take a moral from everything we read, even though the author might not have done that on purpose.

Bullyng is also a huge issue here. The way teens were portrayed here is quite accurate. I've seen bullying, I've seen too much bullying during my life, and it is so painful. While I was reading this, I wanted to cry thinking about how much Carrie suffered. And about how these things do happen in real life (the bullying part). The way Carrie reacted at the end of the book is probably how a bullied kid would act if they had these abilities. Everybody would explode after so much bullying, so much abuse. It's like Carrie couldn't handled it anymore, and reflected what was happening insider her mind in the real world.

I think I just said everything I had in mind. If I don't make sense, please forgive me haha

message 3: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Silva | 2 comments It took me a long time (I mean, more than a month) to read this book, not because I wasn't enjoying the reading, but because I was having a hard time understanding it. Even today, I don't think I fully understand the message of this book. I understand that there's a issue concerning bullying and the consequences from suffering from that.
However, I felt (and this is only my opinion, doesn't mean it's the author's intention) that the main topic is the (stupid) inability of man to learn from past events. That's how I think King closes this story and that is what I think is being analysed through the all book. They're trying to understand how could such a horrible thing happen, but in the end, it seems like people learned nothing from it...
I don't know if I was clear enough, but I'm still in the process of understanding it!!

message 4: by Camille, Mil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Camille Dent (thecamillion) | 90 comments Mod
Vivi, I think that's an important distinction that you made between religion itself and her mother's interpretation of religion affecting her so much! I also agree that morals can be drawn from content even if a moral is not intended, and I think both you and Carolina did a great job of analyzing it in different ways that spoke two to you as individuals!

Carolina, your interpretation is very interesting, and certainly relevant to all societies universally. There will always be people who corrupt religion and bully others, like what Vivi pointed out, and these things continue to be such prevalent problems because, as humans, we seem to deny negative consequences for our actions whenever possible.