Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BOMs - Authors; E - H > The Trespasser by Tana French (Anything Goes BOM) Starts November 22, 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31132 comments Mod

This topic is to discuss The Trespasser by Tana French. Be prepared for spoilers!

Synopsis:

A brilliant new novel from the New York Times bestselling author, whom Gillian Flynn calls "mesmerizing" and Stephen King calls "incandescent."

Being on the Murder squad is nothing like Detective Antoinette Conway dreamed it would be. Her partner, Stephen Moran, is the only person who seems glad she’s there. The rest of her working life is a stream of thankless cases, vicious pranks, and harassment. Antoinette is savagely tough, but she’s getting close to the breaking point.

Their new case looks like yet another by-the-numbers lovers’ quarrel gone bad. Aislinn Murray is blond, pretty, groomed to a shine, and dead in her catalogue-perfect living room, next to a table set for a romantic dinner. There’s nothing unusual about her—except that Antoinette’s seen her somewhere before.

And that her death won’t stay in its neat by-numbers box. Other detectives are trying to push Antoinette and Steve into arresting Aislinn’s boyfriend, fast. There’s a shadowy figure at the end of Antoinette's road. Aislinn's friend is hinting that she knew Aislinn was in danger. And everything they find out about Aislinn takes her further from the glossy, passive doll she seemed to be.

Antoinette knows the harassment has turned her paranoid, but she can’t tell just how far gone she is. Is this case another step in the campaign to force her off the squad, or are there darker currents flowing beneath its polished surface?

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 27, 2016 03:09PM) (new)

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Pages PPQDs

22&23 Nov Prologue - Ch 4 1 - 126 Alison
**BREAK DAY** (US Thankgiving)
25&26 Nov Ch 5 - Ch 10 127 - 245 maria helena
27&28 Nov Ch 11 - Ch 15 246 - 369 maria helena
29&30 Nov Ch 16 - Ch 18 370 - 449 TBD

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

message 5: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Since this is #8 in a series I have not read, I requested #1 from the library. I don't know if I will get even number one in time. But I will read it when I am caught up and post comments here. I just don't think I will be in time for the BOM.

message 6: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2545 comments I'm in for this one and will volunteer for DQs.

Karrie although it's a later book in the series these books can be read as standalones. I've read all but the latest two and they tend to have different main characters and don't really mention previous books (although as I haven't actually read this one I can't guarantee it).

message 7: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Abdollahi  (gavthereader) | 478 comments Any chance a 13 year old can read this?

message 8: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Gav wrote: "Any chance a 13 year old can read this?"

I'm asking around some people who have read this to find out

message 9: by maria helena (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1763 comments I will volunteer for DQs.

message 10: by maria helena (last edited Nov 08, 2016 05:13AM) (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1763 comments Karrie wrote: "Since this is #8 in a series I have not read, I requested #1 from the library. I don't know if I will get even number one in time. But I will read it when I am caught up and post comments here. I j..."

The books in the series are linked (the main character/narrator of each book is introduced in a previous book) but you can definitely read them out of order.

message 11: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 150 comments I'll read this

message 12: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Gav wrote: "Any chance a 13 year old can read this?"

I just received some feedback that the book has a psychologically heavy plot and some tough topics so is probably more suited to adults

message 13: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Mods are struggling to get a copy of this to do the chapter breakdown. Does anyone have a copy and would like to give it a go? (About 60 pages a day).
Otherwise we will use the google preview to breakdown as best we can by chapters

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Day 1- chapter 1-chapter 3 ( p61)
Day 2-chapter 3-chapter 5 ( p126)
Day 3- chapter 5-chapter 8 ( p178)
Day 4-chapter 8-chapter 11( p245)
Day 5- chapter 11- chapter 13(p293)
Day 6- chapter 13-chapter 15 (p 334)
Day 7-chapter 15-chapter 17 (p406)
Day 8-chapter 17 -end
* hardcover version

message 15: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Thanks Laura! Looks like Shannon was able to sneak into a bookstore and get a look at the paperback, so we'll compare and combine what you have both done and post the breakdown shortly :)

message 16: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Ok then I'll try to get the book.

message 17: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments This looks like I great book! I am in!

message 18: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 15, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Breakdown posted above

Due to the size of the book, we've condensed it to DQs every second day .. and for our US readers have put a breakdown over the US Thanksgiving :)

message 19: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments what does volunteering for DQ's mean exactly? Do you mean that you are wanting to participate in the discussion questions or that you are willing to compile DQ's or moderate the DQ's? Sorry, I have not participated in a BOM read yet so I am new to it all. :D

I bought this book though and I am ready to read....lol

message 20: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14448 comments Mod
The Genre Minx wrote: "what does volunteering for DQ's mean exactly? Do you mean that you are wanting to participate in the discussion questions or that you are willing to compile DQ's or moderate the DQ's? Sorry, I have..."

The person writes some discussion questions for that day. You do not need to volunteer to write them -
You can participate by answering some, all, or none of the DQs! Just remember to not talk about a section of the book until the group is through it (so don't comment on the end until after the 30 Nov for example). More about our BOMs is in the post above under the spoiler tag
:)

message 21: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "The Genre Minx wrote: "what does volunteering for DQ's mean exactly? Do you mean that you are wanting to participate in the discussion questions or that you are willing to compile DQ's or moderate ..."

Thanks a bunch! Pffffft, I am still recovering from Wobble so no way could I even consider thinking up questions, lol. :D

message 22: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Well I've got three of the six books from the library, and I am way back on waiting list for the BOM. I am really liking In The Woods though! I plan on having all six of them read and the questions here answered before the end of 2016!

message 23: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2545 comments Have to admit I can only take Tana French books in small doses. I've loved pretty much every book I've read but I do find them a little hard going. In The Woods is great but my favourite was The Likeness.

I have to admit I've started the Trespasser but have realised the version I have doesn't have chapter numbers. Hmm..

message 24: by maria helena (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1763 comments Alison wrote: "Have to admit I can only take Tana French books in small doses. I've loved pretty much every book I've read but I do find them a little hard going. In The Woods is great but my favourite was The Li..."

My favourite was The Likeness (with In the Woods as a close second).

message 25: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2545 comments I'm kind of hopeful that as this one also has a youngish female MC it'll be as good as the Likeness

message 26: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments I am loving In the Woods!

message 27: by maria helena (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1763 comments Since we are doing questions every other day for this one, are we posting the DQs on the first or second day?

message 28: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2545 comments I was going to post on the first day but can hang off.

As per normal I started reading early, got really into the story and couldn't put it down so the schedule kind of went out the window :) Think I'm almost halfway through already.

message 29: by maria helena (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1763 comments I have already read it :-)

I assumed we were posting on the first day, but just wanted to double check.

message 30: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

maria helena wrote: "I have already read it :-)

I assumed we were posting on the first day, but just wanted to double check."

Either is fine :)

message 31: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2545 comments DQ's 22-23rd November
Prologue - Chapter 4

1. What made you decide to read this book? Have you read any of Tana French's other books or is this your first?

2. What are your initial thoughts on main character Antionette Conway? Do you like her as a narrator?

3. It seemed a little odd to me that Antionette's mother lied about who her father was. Why do you think she kept making up stories? What impact do you think this has had on Antionette and her relationship with her mother?

4. What are your thoughts on her partnership with Steve? They seem to me to be a pretty good fit but do you think it's a case of lack of options given they both seem to be the squad outcasts?

5. Antionette doesn't seem to have the best relationship with the rest of the murder squad. Why do you think this is? Is it as she claims that they have been out to get her from the start due to her colour, do you think her attitude could be partly responsible or do you think she's just paranoid?

6. The interview with the victim's best friend Lucy seemed a little bit odd to me. She claimed not to be too close to Aislinn and seemed to be keeping something secret. Any theories about why she's playing down their friendship and what she could be hiding?

7. Now that Detective Breslin has finally caught up with them what do you think about him? What do you think his motivations are? Will he follow Antionette's lead or try to take over?

8. What did you think of the interview with Rory? Does he seem like he could be capable of murder or do you think this case could be more complicated and one of Antionette or Steve's other theories could be true?

message 32: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments DQ's 22-23rd November
Prologue - Chapter 4

1. What made you decide to read this book? Have you read any of Tana French's other books or is this your first?

I have read and enjoyed a few books by Tana French. Into The Woods is my favorite. A few, though, I couldn't finish. I decided to give this a read since it was listed as a best of the month at Amazon.

2. What are your initial thoughts on main character Antionette Conway? Do you like her as a narrator?

She is a complex character! I like her feistiness and attitude. Makes a book more interesting to me if the main character is flawed in some way.

3. It seemed a little odd to me that Antionette's mother lied about who her father was. Why do you think she kept making up stories? What impact do you think this has had on Antionette and her relationship with her mother?

This would definitely put a strain on a mother and child relationship.

4. What are your thoughts on her partnership with Steve? They seem to me to be a pretty good fit but do you think it's a case of lack of options given they both seem to be the squad outcasts?

Good question! I didn't really think about this but they were both outcasts and that probably did help them to work better together.

5. Antionette doesn't seem to have the best relationship with the rest of the murder squad. Why do you think this is? Is it as she claims that they have been out to get her from the start due to her colour, do you think her attitude could be partly responsible or do you think she's just paranoid?

She is definitely not paranoid. Being a female of color would make things doubly difficult in a job dominated by men.

6. The interview with the victim's best friend Lucy seemed a little bit odd to me. She claimed not to be too close to Aislinn and seemed to be keeping something secret. Any theories about why she's playing down their friendship and what she could be hiding?

I have read farther than chapter 4 so I shouldn't say too much. I will say Lucy's interview is when the book started to become interesting to me.

7. Now that Detective Breslin has finally caught up with them what do you think about him? What do you think his motivations are? Will he follow Antionette's lead or try to take over?

From the beginning, he seemed like a very take charge, alpha male. I could understand why Antoinette didn't like him much. I was suspicious of him right away.

8. What did you think of the interview with Rory? Does he seem like he could be capable of murder or do you think this case could be more complicated and one of Antionette or Steve's other theories could be true?

Because I have read a lot of mysteries, my first thought was that Rory was just a red herring. He was too convenient of a suspect. Once in a while I am surprised, though.

message 33: by maria helena (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1763 comments DQ's 22-23rd November
Prologue - Chapter 4

I had read all the other books in the Dublin Murder Squad series, and it is one of my favourite series, so there was no doubt that I was gonna read this one too.

I think Antionette Conway is a great character with a lot of depth. I liked her when she was introduced in The Secret Place, and I was happy to see that she was the narrator for this one.

I didn't find this odd. I think it is a quite common occurrence - at least I have read lots of books with single mothers where the child is told made-up stories about the absent father. I do think that this is an important part of Conway's back-story and might be one of the explanations to how she interacts with people around her (especially men and those in power). I think it also explains why she is so driven to succeed.

I love the fact that they are paired together. Like with Conway, I liked Steve from previous books. I think he is a great counter-balance to Conway and the dynamic between the two is close to perfect. I think Steve probably was low on the totem-pole and therefore was paired with Conway, when no-one else wanted to work with her. Without her there, I'd think he would be less of an outcast.

I think the bad relationship between Conway and the rest of the murder squad is due to a combination of her being a woman/her colour and her personality and attitude. She seems like a personality that takes space (and can probably rub others the wrong way) rather than someone that adjusts to her surroundings. I definitely don't think she is paranoid.

I have already read the book so I won't say too much, but I definitely found the interview suspicious. It felt like she wasn't telling the entire truth.

He doesn't seem like the type to let anyone else take charge. I didn't find him likable at all.

He also seemed like he wasn't telling them everything. The case is definitely more complicated than it first appeared (otherwise it wouldn't be a Tana French book...)

message 34: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2545 comments Hmm. I'm thinking paranoid might have been the wrong word. I kind of got the impression there was something a little off about Antoinette and it was maybe exaggerated. She definitely has an attitude (and probably rightly so) but it was a lot of the other stuff that got me wondering. Her constant anger, the comments about the trees moving in around her, driving off at speed with no idea where she's going. She seems pretty close to a complete meltdown (not uncommon in a Tana French)

What did you think about her comment to Steve about her job offer? Do you think she's seriously considering it or is she trying to shock him in hopes he'll beg her to stay?

message 35: by maria helena (last edited Nov 24, 2016 07:36AM) (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1763 comments Alison wrote: "Hmm. I'm thinking paranoid might have been the wrong word. I kind of got the impression there was something a little off about Antoinette and it was maybe exaggerated. She definitely has an attitud..."

She's definitely not in a very "healthy" state... Which like you say, is quite typical for Tana French. Her characters are never all good/all happy. I think the fact that her characters usually are complex and flawed makes them so much more interesting.

Regarding her comment to Steve, I didn't take it seriously. She has worked too hard to make it into the Murder Squad and I don't see her giving that up. I think it might have been more as a defense mechanism - if this doesn't work out she has a plan b (which she can kind of project the idea that it was what she wanted, even though it is not, if that makes sense?) It feels like she has the attitude of preparing for, and expecting, the worst.

message 36: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2545 comments Yep. I definitely think I love Tana French's books so much because of the characters.

Did you say Antionette and Steve were in the previous book? I'm reading a little out of order so haven't read Secret Place yet. My mum is actually reading it at the moment but seems to be struggling.

message 37: by maria helena (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1763 comments Alison wrote: "Yep. I definitely think I love Tana French's books so much because of the characters.

Did you say Antionette and Steve were in the previous book? I'm reading a little out of order so haven't read..."

Conway was in The Secret Place, and Steve was in Faithful Place.

I really like that each book in the series has a different narrator that has been introduced in a previous book.

message 38: by Poonam (last edited Nov 24, 2016 07:56AM) (new)

Poonam | 175 comments DQ's 22-23rd November
Prologue - Chapter 4

I am a big fan of this series and have read all the previous books. I was waiting eagerly for this book to come out.

She was introduced in The Secret Place and I had an idea about her nature. Now we get to know her better through her thought process and she is definitely near a breaking point. I wonder how her being on the edge will play out in the story.

Somewhere maybe her mother was unable to face what happened to her and did not want her daughter to know.. (maybe Antionette is a result of a rape- just a guess). This definitely left the relation between mother and daughter strained as no child will like their parent lying to them repeatedly.

If you have read the previous book of the series you will know how this partnership came about and I don't think this is a case of forced partnership at all.

I am quiet certain that her attitude does play an important part in the way she is being treated by her colleagues.

I am unable to guess what she is hiding but she is definitely hiding something.

I do not blame Detective Breslin for trying to get Rory convicted as he only knows about Rory and does not know the angle of the other man in Aisilin's life. I don't think he is a bad cop- as in a pet of any gangster. I think he is definitely going to be a hindrance in the investigation from Antionette's perspective.

I don't think as this juncture that Rory is in anyway responsible for the murder... Everything is very hypothetical right now and I think we will form new theories as we move ahead.

message 39: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Interesting points made about Antoinette. Reading more of the book, I can see more of her "anger" in her inner dialogue and actions. I first thought of this as simple feistiness and trying to prove herself in the job.

I tried to read The Secret Place but could not finish. The teenage girls annoyed me too much. I am having an easier time with this one. Writing is excellent and characters are complex and interesting.

message 40: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments DQ's 22-23rd November
Prologue - Chapter 4

It sounded like a good story and has great ratings. No, I have not read anything by this Author before.

Angry, bitter, had enough...those are my thoughts on Antionette. She's ok as a narrator.

Who knows why the mom made up those stories. Probably to make her feel better but at the same time changing the stories makes no sense. I think that Antionette is never going to trust her mother.

I like Steve but I don't necessarily trust him. I like them as partners but he is only an outcast due to his pairing with her.

Honestly, I think it has more to do with her gender and the fact that she wont put up with their bull.

No ideas at this point.

I totally am thinking that Breslin may be the "other guy" somehow. I don't trust him at all. He is too hot to pin it on Rory. I think he will not necessarily try to take the investigation over but I think he will try to derail it.

I just don't see Rory being able to do it BUT everyone seems to be holding something back when it comes to Aislinn.

message 41: by maria helena (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1763 comments DQ's 25-26 November
Chapter 5-10

1. Do you think Conway has the investigation under control? What do you think about her interactions with the other members of the team? Is she a good leader of the team?

2. Have your opinions about Conway changed compared to your first impression of her?

3. What do you think of Breslin's behaviour? Why do you think he is keeping such a close eye on Conway and Steve's progress with the case? Do you think Conway's suspicion about Breslin being a dirty cop is correct?

4. What are your thoughts about McCann? Is he trying to sabotage the case, or is Conway reading too much into his behaviour? Do you think he has Conway's best interest at heart or is something else going on?

5. In addition to doubting Breslin and McCann, Conway seems suspicious about O'Kelly's interest in the case. Do you think she is over-reacting?

6. At this point, do you think Rory had anything to do with Aislinn's murder? Why do you think Breslin and O'Kelly still considers Rory the prime suspect?

7. Do you think there is a connection between Aislinn's murder and her father's disappearance?

message 42: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2545 comments DQ's 25-26 November
Chapter 5-10

1. Do you think Conway has the investigation under control? What do you think about her interactions with the other members of the team? Is she a good leader of the team?
I actually do think she has the investigation under control. She does seem to be tempted to jump on all of the what if's to make it a bigger and more complicated case than it is but seems able to take a step back and think it through logically. She also appears to be getting on well with the rest of the team and I do think she's a good leader. It does make you wonder how she can get on so well with them but not the other murder detectives.

2. Have your opinions about Conway changed compared to your first impression of her?
Not really. She has calmed down a little bit now that she has something to focus on but still seems very much the same which is great because I love her attitude :)

3. What do you think of Breslin's behaviour? Why do you think he is keeping such a close eye on Conway and Steve's progress with the case? Do you think Conway's suspicion about Breslin being a dirty cop is correct?
I can't make my mind up about Breslin. It's difficult to tell if he's just a pompous idiot out for glory and maybe hoping to stitch up Conway and Moran at the same time or if he's up to something else. I'm not convinced about the dirty cop thing. I do think he's up to something but not sure what yet.

4. What are your thoughts about McCann? Is he trying to sabotage the case, or is Conway reading too much into his behaviour? Do you think he has Conway's best interest at heart or is something else going on?
Again I'm not sure (Tana French definitely likes to keep you guessing) but I was actually thinking that he was trying to sabotage Conway rather than the case. The trying to get his hands on the box of evidence seemed awfully similar to the page of a statement going missing. He also seems to be up to something but not sure what or why.

5. In addition to doubting Breslin and McCann, Conway seems suspicious about O'Kelly's interest in the case. Do you think she is over-reacting?
No I don't think she's over reacting. There was something odd about the way he gave them the call sheet and put Breslin with them. Plus the fact that he wants them to keep checking in with him particularly if, as Conway points out, it's out of the ordinary for what should be an everyday domestic. I get the feeling he's suspicious of Breslin for some reason, either because he's taking bribes or just because he's going for the quick win over a proper investigation. I kind of feel like he has them keeping an eye on Breslin rather than the other way around.

6. At this point, do you think Rory had anything to do with Aislinn's murder? Why do you think Breslin and O'Kelly still considers Rory the prime suspect?
He still seems a bit too convenient and, to be honest, not really up to it. As Conway points out he's a thinker rather than someone who makes decisions and acts. I can't see him becoming that aggressive. I think Breslin wants the easy win. Don't know if it's just to get the case closed or if he's trying to cover something up. O'Kelly I'm not so sure about. He's going based on what Breslin is telling him but is pretty mysterious about everything,

7. Do you think there is a connection between Aislinn's murder and her father's disappearance?
Maybe. The fact that Conway remembers her right from the first time she see's her and then spends a good chunk of time trying to remember where from before making the connection would suggest it's important but it could be a red herring.

message 43: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments 1. Do you think Conway has the investigation under control? What do you think about her interactions with the other members of the team? Is she a good leader of the team?

I think she has it as under control as she can given the fact that no one really respects her. I think that she has a chip on her shoulder when it comes to the other embers of the team. It must be pretty awful having to feel like everyone’s out to “f” her over. I think that if she was given the respect that she deserves that she would be an excellent leader.

No, I feel pretty much the same about her.

I think Breslin is just an arse. Maybe he is being that way because he wants to move on from this case. I think he is keeping such a close eye on them because either he wants to wrap this case up or because he is involved somehow.

McCann, if he is trying to appease his wife then working extra on a case is not going to be making him happy at all. No way does he have Conway’s back! Either he is looking out for himself or he is just as involved at Breslin.

No, I don’t think she is overreaction about O’Kelly. He is not behaving normal either, so that is what is setting off alarms for her.

Breslin and O’Kelly like Rory for the murder because he is convenient. I still dont think Rory did it but I could be wrong. He could be a true psychopath.

Feels like a red-haring to me. But maybe, there was mention of half-siblings, if anything it makes some sense that she would have got in contact with one of them and they might not have liked what she had to say.

message 44: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments DQ's 25-26 November
Chapter 5-10

I think she is trying to stay in control of the investigation. But Breslin is definitely interfering. I think Antoinette is doing okay as leader of the team. But the team probably doesn't feel totally comfortable with her. She's not the friendliest person and work is more important to her than joking around with the others. Even with Steve, who she has the best relationship with, she knows how to make him angry. Although, I do like the rapport between Steve and Antoinette. They sometimes make me chuckle and think that they were meant to be partners.

Not really. She still has plenty of attitude, toughness, and dedication to her work.

Yes, Breslin's interference does make me think he is somehow connected to the case. The thing that made me certain was when he backed down when Antoinette told him outright that he is not in charge of the case. Instead of getting mad he backs down. He wants to stay on the case, no matter what!

McCann is definitely working with Breslin to interfere with the case. Their furtive conversation about keeping her in line ( or something to that effect) was about Antoinette, not anyone else.

Not sure yet about O'Kelly.

Even though Rory has admitted to stalking Aislinn, I still think he is too convenient of a suspect. I think Breslin is pushing Rory because he doesn't want the truth to come out.

Yes. This has been a big part of her life. She has made big changes to her life for her to just drop it. She may have wanted revenge against the cops that worked her Dad's missing case. And somehow this led to her murder.

message 45: by maria helena (last edited Nov 27, 2016 08:02AM) (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1763 comments DQ's 27-28 November
Chapter 11-15

1. Did the information from Rory's exes about his behaviour, and the CCTV footage showing that he had lied about being in Aislinn's neighbourhood, make him a more likely suspect in your mind? Did you believe him when he said that he never went inside her apartment?

2. Do you agree with Breslin's comment about how Conway always is in attack mode? Does this explain, or justify, his attitude towards her?

3. Have you changed your mind about Breslin? In these few chapters, he goes from being possibly a bad cop, to almost redeeming himself, to being a murder suspect.

4. Where you surprised to hear about the rumours spread by Roche about Conway's past? Do you think this alone explains the squad's attitude towards her? Do you think the working environment is going to be too hard for Conway and that she will leave the Murder Squad?

5. What do you think about Conway's working relationship with Steve? Why do you think he didn't tell her about the rumours?

6. What did you think about Conway's reaction to seeing her father?

7. What do you think of what Lucy tells Conway? Did it surprise you or was it expected?

message 46: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments DQ's 27-28 November
Chapter 11-15

1. Did the information from Rory's exes about his behaviour, and the CCTV footage showing that he had lied about being in Aislinn's neighbourhood, make him a more likely suspect in your mind? Did you believe him when he said that he never went inside her apartment?

I guess I jumped the gun on this question in my previous post. LOL Even with the additional information on Rory, my gut still says he is innocent. I do believe Rory when he says he saw a mystery man.

2. Do you agree with Breslin's comment about how Conway always is in attack mode? Does this explain, or justify, his attitude towards her?

It may be true that Antoinette is prickly, but that does not justify his attitude. He is still trying to influence the case and pushing his own agenda.

3. Have you changed your mind about Breslin? In these few chapters, he goes from being possibly a bad cop, to almost redeeming himself, to being a murder suspect.

No. I have been suspicious of him from the beginning.

4. Where you surprised to hear about the rumours spread by Roche about Conway's past? Do you think this alone explains the squad's attitude towards her? Do you think the working environment is going to be too hard for Conway and that she will leave the Murder Squad?

Not surprised about rumors being spread. Antoinette's behavior is also partly to blame, as well as the fact that she is female in a male dominated career. Even though Antoinette ruminates over leaving the squad, I can't see Antoinette leaving. She is pretty tough and dedicated to the job.

5. What do you think about Conway's working relationship with Steve? Why do you think he didn't tell her about the rumours?

I enjoy the relationship between Steve and Antoinette. Even when he gets angry at her, it doesn't last long. They are there for each other when it counts, like after Antoinette meets her Father for the first time. Antoinette kicks Steve out, but when she calls him, he is only a few minutes away. They do make me chuckle sometimes.

Boy! I didn't know what to expect, but that was a pretty intense scene. I wasn't sure who Antoinette kept seeing in the distance. I thought he could have been watching because of Aislinn's murder. But I probably should have known the author brought up Antoinette's unknown Father for a reason. We didn't get to learn much about her Father, she's definitely very angry still. I hope we do learn more.

7. What do you think of what Lucy tells Conway? Did it surprise you or was it expected?

I wasn't surprised the other guy was McCann. I became suspicious of him when Antoinette realized that McCann was involved with Aislinn's missing Father case. I wasn't clear on how this would lead to Aislinn's murder, though. This is a tricky situation for Antoinette!

message 47: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Would anyone like to volunteer to write the last set of DQs?

Otherwise maria helena has kindly offered to step in

Thanks!

message 48: by maria helena (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 1763 comments (Since no-one has volunteered, I'll go ahead and post questions for the last few chapters.)

DQ's 29-30 November
Chapter 16-18

1. Do you think Conway enjoyed revealing the truth abut Aislinn to McCann?

2. When Conway and Steve talked to Breslin, did you think that Breslin actually believed that McCann was innocent?

3. Did you think that O'Kelly handled everything ok in the end?

4. What did you think of the resolution to the case?

5. If you were Conway, would you stay with the Murder Squad or would you look for a new job?

6. What do you think Steve meant when he said that "the reason we didn't see it from the start ... is because we were thinking like cops"?

7. What is your overall opinion about the book? Did you like it? If you haven't read the rest of the series, are you planning on reading more books about the Dublin Murder Squad?

message 49: by Geri (new)

Geri | 2042 comments Thank you Maria Helena for finishing the DQ's!

DQ's 29-30 November
Chapter 16-18

1. Do you think Conway enjoyed revealing the truth abut Aislinn to McCann?

Yes. Definitely! This was the only thing that could of shaken up McCann since none of the other police tactics would have worked on him.

2. When Conway and Steve talked to Breslin, did you think that Breslin actually believed that McCann was innocent?

I don't think it mattered. Breslin was protecting his brother cop.

3. Did you think that O'Kelly handled everything ok in the end?

Yes. I did not know how Steve and Antoinette could get out of this unscathed. Detectives don't go after their own! It was good of O'Kelly to take the heat for this.

4. What did you think of the resolution to the case?

It wasn't as exciting as I had hoped. McCann was basically asked to do the honorable thing and redeem himself, and he does. Not sure what an alternative could have been, but it was a bit of a quiet resolution.

5. If you were Conway, would you stay with the Murder Squad or would you look for a new job?

Boy! That's a tough question! I'd like Antoinette to stay in the murder squad. She's worked hard to get where she is. But the way she has been treated by some of her team is terrible. I think she will stay if Steve stays her partner.

6. What do you think Steve meant when he said that "the reason we didn't see it from the start ... is because we were thinking like cops"?

I think he meant that cops just don't suspect cops.

7. What is your overall opinion about the book? Did you like it? If you haven't read the rest of the series, are you planning on reading more books about the Dublin Murder Squad?

The book was a bit long for me. I wish we had learned more about Antoinette!s Father. Maybe in another book? Overall, I think the book ended well. My tastes tend to run to more exciting, action packed mystery/thriller type of books. I liked some of Tana French's earlier books. May try a new book in the series later.

message 50: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments DQ's 27-28 November
Chapter 11-15

I think for sure he is more likely of a suspect then I had originally thought. I am still stuck on the entire strength issue, he would of had to turn into Hercules to kill her in the manner that she died. I am still pointing the finger to Breslin.

I definitely agree with his comment as far as that she is always in attack mode. I do not agree that she could have acted any other way. I think she would have not lasted as long as she had if she had showed any weakness. They are just bastards.

No way, Breslin is a smug prick who wants something really bad from Conway and Moran. Even if he is not guilty of killing Aislinn he is still dirty somehow.

Pffft, given how the squad has been operating I am n to surprised at all. No, the squad knows how they are, they are just being jerks. I think that Conway deserves to work in an environment where her skills are respected.

Steve didn’t tell her because he doesn’t care. He knows they are untrue so why upset her with fiction? He is a good guy and I think that she should take him with her when she leaves those tossers.

I think she is smart. She thought though the situation and realized that her dad had an ulterior motive and that he is not there because he really cares about her.

I think she was very smart in how she pointed them to the mystery suspect to begin with. I was not surprised about McCann but dang on Aislinn’s behavior. Was not expecting that but at least we have motive now.

« previous 1