Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Dark Matter by Blake Crouch (Adult Sci-Fi/Fantasy BOM) Starts November 12, 2016; Informal Buddy Read Revisit starts June 25, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 149 (149 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30795 comments Mod

This topic is to discuss Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. Be prepared for spoilers!

Synopsis:
“Are you happy with your life?” Those are the last words Jason Dessen hears before the masked abductor knocks him unconscious. Before he awakens to find himself strapped to a gurney, surrounded by strangers in hazmat suits. Before a man Jason’s never met smiles down at him and says, “Welcome back, my friend.”

In this world he’s woken up to, Jason’s life is not the one he knows. His wife is not his wife. His son was never born. And Jason is not an ordinary college physics professor but a celebrated genius who has achieved something remarkable--something impossible.

Is it this world or the other that’s the dream? And even if the home he remembers is real, how can Jason possibly make it back to the family he loves? The answers lie in a journey more wondrous and horrifying than anything he could’ve imagined—one that will force him to confront the darkest parts of himself even as he battles a terrifying, seemingly unbeatable foe.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 17, 2016 10:21PM) (new)

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Pages PPQDs

12 Nov ONE-THREE 1-64 Karen
13 Nov FOUR-SIX 65-114 Jenny
14 Nov SEVEN-EIGHT 115-181 Karrie

BREAK DAY

16 Nov NINE-TWELVE 182-246 Logan
17&18 Nov THIRTEEN-END 247-340 (end)   Tania

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

message 5: by Jammin Jenny (last edited Nov 07, 2016 08:39AM) (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4065 comments Count me in for DQs. I have the book on order from the library so I would like to be after the break.

Mine is in now so I can do DQs anytime -I"d like to do mine before the break if possible

message 6: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1793 comments I have mine checked out and ready to go, so I can do questions.

message 7: by Tamara (new)

Tamara I would like to join the discussion, but would like to participate in a few more BOMs before doing questions. I hope that is alright :)

message 8: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Abdollahi  (gavthereader) | 478 comments Can a 13 year old read this? Really wanna participate but have to make sure first.

message 9: by Nora (new)

Nora | 22 comments I definitely want to be in this discussion! I've been wanting to read this and would love to read it with a group

message 10: by Lara (new)

Lara | 676 comments I read this last month, so will participate some in the discussion.

@Gav, there is at least one sex scene and a lot of violence at times and some swearing, especially f***. I don't recall the sex scene as being very graphic, but don't remember the details. There are other scenes that have innuendo or lead to sex, mainly between spouses, but they are there. I hope that helps. I did think it was an adult book as I read it, as it is from the perspective of a married man who has an adolescent son.

message 11: by Gavin (new)

Gavin Abdollahi  (gavthereader) | 478 comments Lara wrote: "I read this last month, so will participate some in the discussion.

@Gav, there is at least one sex scene and a lot of violence at times and some swearing, especially f***. I don't recall the sex ..."

Thx Lara for the tip, Lara.
Guess I'll sit this one out, then.

message 12: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I have this on my shelf at home, so I'm in! I can do DQs, but would prefer after the break as I'll be just getting back from a trip when we start.

message 13: by Tori (new)

Tori Coulson | 151 comments ive just bought this book so ill be participating

message 14: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4065 comments Karrie wrote: "I have mine checked out and ready to go, so I can do questions."

Hi Karrie!

message 15: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Thanks to our volunteers so far, we have allocated days above

Thanks Lara for letting Gav know some detail about the book as none of us mods have read it yet

message 16: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Thanks Mods!

message 17: by Mihaela (new)

Mihaela | 1 comments Looking forward to start!

message 18: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14217 comments Mod
Comments and Questions
12 Nov
Chapters ONE - THREE

1. Why did you decide to join this read? Have you read Crouch before?

2. I have a paperback copy of the book which is a really striking red with all the ends of the pages are also red. Do you think there may be a significance to this colour?

3. So it sounds like the "other" version of Jason (I'll call him Jason2) put on a mask and kidnapped Jason1 and sent him back to wherever Jason2 came from, and now Jason2 will take over Jason1's life. Do you think it is an alternative dimension? Will we get into the idea of multi-verses here with lots of Jason's running around?

4. When Jason1 was kidnapped I did wonder why he didn't just drive that car straight into the bar and crash rather than keep blindly following the GPS directions. Do you think it was realistic that he would've just done as he was told? What would you have done? (or hope you would have done?!)

5. I love the pacing of this book, I hope it can maintain it as this could be quite the thriller. What do you think? Do we need to ditch the break day? Lol

6. Did you agree with Jason1s attempts at escape when we woke up? Should he have just stayed where he was and tried to learn more? Will the hospital have him comitted or will he be found and taken back to the lab?

message 19: by Tania (new)

Tania I'm really enjoying this book so far. If someone is still needed to do the last section of questions, I'd be willing to do them. :)

message 20: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Great - thanks Tania!

message 21: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Alright, I have to answer these questions fast as this book got me completely hooked and I need to continue reading this evening :)

I have never read Crouch before. To be honest - I wanted to do another BOM this month and Dark Matter was the one that sounded the most appealing :)

2. I have a paperback copy of the book which is a really striking red with all the ends of the pages are also red. Do you think there may be a significance to this colour?
I have not thought about this, as I am reading the book on my Kindle.

3. So it sounds like the "other" version of Jason (I'll call him Jason2) put on a mask and kidnapped Jason1 and sent him back to wherever Jason2 came from, and now Jason2 will take over Jason1's life. Do you think it is an alternative dimension? Will we get into the idea of multi-verses here with lots of Jason's running around?
I don't know if it will be lots of multi-verses but definitely two universes. I think the second one is the Jason-the-famous-researcher-universe, where Jason and Daniele both concentrated on their careers rather than on their family. I think the lab might be Jasons' workplace in universe 2 and they are doing some groundbreaking research their. Maybe research involving alternative dimensions, allowing Jason2 to get into Jason1's dimension?

4. When Jason1 was kidnapped I did wonder why he didn't just drive that car straight into the bar and crash rather than keep blindly following the GPS directions. Do you think it was realistic that he would've just done as he was told? What would you have done? (or hope you would have done?!)
Yes I think that is quite realistic. You are shocked and probably not able to think a lot about other possibilities. Also, Jason would probably have hurt a lot of people. So I did not wonder about this at all.

5. I love the pacing of this book, I hope it can maintain it as this could be quite the thriller. What do you think? Do we need to ditch the break day? Lol
I got completely hooked although I normally do not read science fiction. I will go on with the book right now, as I can not wait until tomorrow :) If it goes on like this: skipping break day sounds good to me :)

6. Did you agree with Jason1s attempts at escape when we woke up? Should he have just stayed where he was and tried to learn more? Will the hospital have him comitted or will he be found and taken back to the lab?
I don't quite understand why he thought he couldn't talk to the people at the lab. If it is really a lab working with different dimensions or something where people can vanish (as mentioned at one time) they should know what could happen and why he is confused. Running away was the worst possible thing to do and I am pretty sure that they will find hime at the hospital pretty soon (because, where to look first?). I also cannot understand why he doesn't talk to the physician instead of rumbling this confusing stuff. Maybe I am too naive, but I think honesty works best in these situations. But well, I don't know...

Have to go on reading now... :)

message 22: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4065 comments Chapters ONE - THREE

I have not read Crouch before but am interested in Quantum Physics and alternate realities.

I am reading on kindle, but red could be significant.

Yes, I think we will have multi-verses.

I think he was hoping to get out of it alive so just went along with it. Plus if he really was from an alternate universe, maybe he just somehow knew to keep going with the Jason2.

No ditching the break day, but I agree this book seems to be a good read so far.

I think he'll be found and taken back to the lab. I think Jason1 is just trying to find answers.

message 23: by Ashley M (new)

Ashley M  (read-a-hol-ic) | 762 comments 12 Nov
Chapters ONE - THREE

I joined this read for a few reasons. I have heard great things about Crouch's Wayward Pines trilogy, I won this book form the Goodreads Giveaways and my aunt picked it out from my library and loved it. She read it in less than two days. Also, I suggested this read, so i thought I should join in. I feel silly saying that part. I have not read Crouch before, but I am enjoying Dark Matter very much. It's addictive.

I don't think there's any significance. I think they just wanted to make the book look as good as is feels when you read it. I do love the front cover though.

I do think Jason1 has been sent into an alternate dimension. I don't think we'll have more than Jason1 and Jason2 in the story, but I could be wrong. I think it would be too weird, and I don't think I would like the story if it went that way. I really hope Jason2 doesn't screw up Jason1's life.

Jason2 said he would shoot Jason1. I would drive if I were in the same situation. As far as I'm concerned, Jason1 made the right decision because he's still alive. I don't think Jason2 would have killed "himself", but I wouldn't test a gun pointed at me.

I think I will love this book. I wish I could go on, but I want to know where I am in the discussion. I would read straight through, as much as possible if it were just me. i'll be giving the Wayward Pines trilogy a spin in the not too distant future. I love his writing style.

I think I would have tried to escape too if I were him. I'm glad he succeeded, but I don't know how he's going to keep it up. Since he had to give the doctor at the hospital his full name, I'm worried that he'll be discovered again soon. He might end up back at the lab, or he's going to have to run again without rest as well.

message 24: by Poonam (new)

Poonam | 175 comments 12 Nov
Chapters ONE - THREE

This is my first read by Blake Crouch. This has been recommended to me by A GR friend and plus is in nominations in 2016 Science Fiction category. What better time to read it than now:)

The name is Dark Matter but the cover is Red. Maybe it stands for the loss of life as we know it.

I did think it was Jason kidnapping himself and sending him back to his real life. The life with Charlie and Danielle was just part of an experiment..... It was just in his mind and an alter ego of himself had to trigger back his mind to go back to reality.. Maybe

I had the exact same thought!! Why not just drive into the bar and crash but then I thought maybe he had hopes of survival and driving into the bar would have led to the kidnapper directly shooting in his head and ending his life. At least he had hopes for survival by following the kidnapper's instructions (I think that's how most of the victim's think)... I think I would have tried to fight back at some point but can't say right away as I would have been shit scared!

I think this is a very very quick read. I think we need to ditch the break day and maybe change from 3 to 4 chapters per day. It is going to be hard for me to wait between chapters and follow the schedule..

6. Did you agree with Jason1s attempts at escape when we woke up? Should he have just stayed where he was and tried to learn more? Will the hospital have him committed or will he be found and taken back to the lab?
I think his reaction is natural. He suspects foul play and makes a run for it. The first place he seeks is his house, then tries to contact his wife on phone and then seeks medical attention. All very logical. I think the hospital will check his background and maybe contact his workplace which may turn out to be the lab he ran away from!

message 25: by Lara (new)

Lara | 676 comments Chapters ONE - THREE

1. Why did you decide to join this read? Have you read Crouch before? I had heard good things about the book, and the author.

2. I have a paperback copy of the book which is a really striking red with all the ends of the pages are also red. Do you think there may be a significance to this colour? I'm not sure

3. So it sounds like the "other" version of Jason (I'll call him Jason2) put on a mask and kidnapped Jason1 and sent him back to wherever Jason2 came from, and now Jason2 will take over Jason1's life. Do you think it is an alternative dimension? Will we get into the idea of multi-verses here with lots of Jason's running around? As I read this, I was screaming at him in my head that it was clearly an alternate dimension. Also, I figured immediately that Jason2 was another version of himself. And yes, I suspected there will be multi-verses.

4. When Jason1 was kidnapped I did wonder why he didn't just drive that car straight into the bar and crash rather than keep blindly following the GPS directions. Do you think it was realistic that he would've just done as he was told? What would you have done? (or hope you would have done?!) That is such a hard one. We don't really know until we're in the situation. He definitely wasn't desperate enough to do something really dangerous.

5. I love the pacing of this book, I hope it can maintain it as this could be quite the thriller. What do you think? Do we need to ditch the break day? Lol Since I read it last month, I have no preference.

6. Did you agree with Jason1s attempts at escape when we woke up? Should he have just stayed where he was and tried to learn more? Will the hospital have him committed or will he be found and taken back to the lab? I thought it would have been smart to try to learn more. He's a terrible actor, and his constant efforts to try to get everyone to treat him 'normally' despite all evidence to the contrary was annoying to me. Yes, he didn't want to make a decision without more evidence, but he didn't really behave as though he was seeking evidence--just acting like himself. Either way, it's clear things are pretty dangerous for him.

message 26: by Tania (new)

Tania Chapters ONE - THREE

I actually haven't ever read Crouch before, but the synopsis for the story sounded interesting and it has a great rating on Goodreads, so I thought I would give it a shot. I'm so glad I did!

Oh, I bet that looks nice! I'm reading a library edition hard back. Not sure about the color importance yet though.

That is definitely how I understood it. There has been some foreshadowing in this first section questioning what Jason would be without his wife and child. In fact, he even asks the question himself. I think this may be a reality where he didn't take the route of family man.

I think there was that hope that he would get out of it alive, perhaps even get an opportunity to take his attacker by surprise (like when he tried to hit him with the flashlight).

This book is definitely hard to put down! I started it early and had to tell myself to physically put it down, so I wouldn't go past the first section before answering the first round of questions!

I'm not sure it was the right thing to do, but running away definitely made sense, especially since he didn't know what he would find when he went "home." I think he will be taken to the lab for study.

message 27: by Jammin Jenny (last edited Nov 14, 2016 07:50AM) (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4065 comments Chapters Four - Six

7. What did you think about Jason2's reunion with Daniela. Do you think Daniela senses something's off but decides to go along anyway - it looks like her husband, right?

8. What do you think of the Chicago Jason1 is living in now? Does it make you think more about the choices you make every day and how each decision leads you down a different path?

9. Were you surprised when Jason1 found his old Daniela at the art gallery and what followed in her apartment? Seems to me that the author is saying that certain currents in Quantum Theory just lead back to one another, like Jason1 and Daniela.

10. I was shocked when the man shot Daniela. Why do you think he had to do that?

11. In Chapter 6, Jason2 starts talking about the multiverses to Daniela. Do you think he's starting to open up to her, or get her ready if/when he says he's from another one of those multiverses?

message 28: by Lara (new)

Lara | 676 comments Chapters 4-6

1. What did you think about Jason2's reunion with Daniela. Do you think Daniela senses something's off but decides to go along anyway - it looks like her husband, right? It seems like there is chemistry between them regardless of which universe they're in. She seems to be looking for a reason to spend time with him.

2. What do you think of the Chicago Jason1 is living in now? Does it make you think more about the choices you make every day and how each decision leads you down a different path? The Chicago he's in seems to be very similar to his own, but perhaps not as friendly. I do think about decisions and how life would be different at moments when split second decisions are made. However, I have no energy to follow those thoughts to their conclusions.

3. Were you surprised when Jason1 found his old Daniela at the art gallery and what followed in her apartment? Seems to me that the author is saying that certain currents in Quantum Theory just lead back to one another, like Jason1 and Daniela. Yes, it did seem that they diverged after meeting Daniela, so that chemistry would exist in both universes.

4. I was shocked when the man shot Daniela. Why do you think he had to do that? I was surprised as well. It was so final and lacked any respect for human life. That didn't seem to fit with Jason's personality, even Jason2's.

5. In Chapter 6, Jason2 starts talking about the multiverses to Daniela. Do you think he's starting to open up to her, or get her ready if/when he says he's from another one of those multiverses?
Definitely.

message 29: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Comments and Questions from Jenny
Chapters Four - Six

7. What did you think about Jason2's reunion with Daniela. Do you think Daniela senses something's off but decides to go along anyway - it looks like her husband, right?
Putting myself in this situation, you would absolutely beleive he is your husband. I still can't quite come to terms with the fact that he has basically shunted another version of himself into a life he doesn't like with no preparation. I have a bad feeling about Jason2's world

8. What do you think of the Chicago Jason1 is living in now? Does it make you think more about the choices you make every day and how each decision leads you down a different path?
I like that it isn't "totally" different because if we are talking a parallel universe for each and every decision then we are going into mind bending numbers!! So is this just a world that appeared due to one decision? Or many? (Makes my head hurt... lol)

9. Were you surprised when Jason1 found his old Daniela at the art gallery and what followed in her apartment? Seems to me that the author is saying that certain currents in Quantum Theory just lead back to one another, like Jason1 and Daniela.
I liked this, and I liked the process he went through to decide on his next logical step

10. I was shocked when the man shot Daniela. Why do you think he had to do that?
Same!! I couldn't believe it. Clearly Jason2's world and the people he works with are incredibly dangerous

11. In Chapter 6, Jason2 starts talking about the multiverses to Daniela. Do you think he's starting to open up to her, or get her ready if/when he says he's from another one of those multiverses?
I hadn't considered that he may tell her the truth!. Unless of course, he intends to make that machine again in this world?
I just thought he was talking about it because that has been his life for the last 15 years

message 30: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1793 comments 1. Why did you decide to join this read? Have you read Crouch before? It is the BOM. I've never read anything else by this author.

2. I have a paperback copy of the book which is a really striking red with all the ends of the pages are also red. Do you think there may be a significance to this colour? It is hard to know so early in the book. I have the ebook, but yours sounds cool.

3. So it sounds like the "other" version of Jason (I'll call him Jason2) put on a mask and kidnapped Jason1 and sent him back to wherever Jason2 came from, and now Jason2 will take over Jason1's life. Do you think it is an alternative dimension? Will we get into the idea of multi-verses here with lots of Jason's running around? Hmmmm Maybe. I never thought of the captor being Jason 2. What if Jason 2 is really the father of Charlie.....

4. When Jason1 was kidnapped I did wonder why he didn't just drive that car straight into the bar and crash rather than keep blindly following the GPS directions. Do you think it was realistic that he would've just done as he was told? What would you have done? (or hope you would have done?!) Well the guy had a gun in his back, so I unfortunately would have probably followed directions. But I think I would have eventually crashed.

5. I love the pacing of this book, I hope it can maintain it as this could be quite the thriller. What do you think? Do we need to ditch the break day? Lol Yes, so far it is moving right along!

6. Did you agree with Jason1s attempts at escape when we woke up? Should he have just stayed where he was and tried to learn more? Will the hospital have him comitted or will he be found and taken back to the lab? I think trying to escape was a good idea.

message 31: by Ashley M (new)

Ashley M  (read-a-hol-ic) | 762 comments Chapters Four - Six

1. What did you think about Jason2's reunion with Daniela. Do you think Daniela senses something's off but decides to go along anyway - it looks like her husband, right?

I think that Daniela is surprised by Jason2's romantic attitude that isn't typicical of Jason1 anymore probably. She probably goes along with it because she missed it.

2. What do you think of the Chicago Jason1 is living in now? Does it make you think more about the choices you make every day and how each decision leads you down a different path?

Some of the things in it have changed, and it is all a result of choices that Jason2 has made. Some are big and some are small. I was surprised that even a building was different. I've thought about this stuff before with other books and TV shows. Sometimes they make me think about it. What if...

3. Were you surprised when Jason1 found his old Daniela at the art gallery and what followed in her apartment? Seems to me that the author is saying that certain currents in Quantum Theory just lead back to one another, like Jason1 and Daniela.

I wasn't really surprised. I kind of expected it. He was really looking for answers, and she was the best start for him if he could find her. I also wasn't surprised about what happened next with them. That was clearly going to happen with the way the conversation was going at some point.

4. I was shocked when the man shot Daniela. Why do you think he had to do that?

I'm pretty bummed out about this. Not only for Jason1, but also for Jason2 if he ever gets back to this world. I think it happened because she knew too much.

5. In Chapter 6, Jason2 starts talking about the multiverses to Daniela. Do you think he's starting to open up to her, or get her ready if/when he says he's from another one of those multiverses?

He could be leading on to something for the future. Not sure about this one, but he could just be romancing her too. Not very romantic though, I think.

message 32: by Poonam (new)

Poonam | 175 comments Chapters Four - Six

1. What did you think about Jason2's reunion with Daniela. Do you think Daniela senses something's off but decides to go along anyway - it looks like her husband, right?
I am just soo confused with this whole bit. Why did Jason 2 replace Jason 1? Was it Jason 2 future of Jason 1 taking over his own rightful place. Is it all a circle! I don't know what to think.
I am sure Daniela is confused with her husband's behavior but then it is her husband after all and she does not suspect that he maybe a look alike.

2. What do you think of the Chicago Jason1 is living in now? Does it make you think more about the choices you make every day and how each decision leads you down a different path?
Yes, it did make me think back on all my life-changing decisions and how life would have been because of a slightly different decision......

3. Were you surprised when Jason1 found his old Daniela at the art gallery and what followed in her apartment? Seems to me that the author is saying that certain currents in Quantum Theory just lead back to one another, like Jason1 and Daniela.
Yes Jason 1 is with Daniela and Jason 2 again with Daniela... Maybe whatever decisions we make some things may end up the same....

4. I was shocked when the man shot Daniela. Why do you think he had to do that?
I was absolutely shocked as I did not see that coming. I think he is sent by the lab to retrieve Jason and as Jason was supposed to be working on something top secret, he had to kill Daniela in case she knew anything.

Making her ready to what he is about to reveal.

message 33: by Tori (new)

Tori Coulson | 151 comments I'm on my mobile so I apologise if the formatting gets odd at all

1. why did I join the read?

I joined because I like discussing books. every month I check for books I think sound interested and also books I'm able to get my hands on

2. significance of the cover?

I'm unsure as I'm a kindle reader

3. do I think jason2 kidnapped jason1?

I never thought that. I assumed Jason is the same person. I figured in universe2 Jason was doing some form of experiment and 'dreamed' up his family in universe1

4. why didn't Jason just crash the car?

I studied psychology at school and I think how he acted with the kidnapper was the only time he's acted 'normal' or expected I guess is a better word. I've found all his other reactions to be very odd

5. do I think we should ditch break day?

no way. on top of a full time job I have a bunch of other commitments. I can manage the plan no problem but not if we speed it up. and I know that was a joke question but I honestly don't think this book is as well paced as other readers do. I'm definitely intrigued by the story but as I mentioned, the way he acts and the choices he makes seem so off to me it's difficult to get drawn in

6. do I agree with Jason running off when he woke up?

not at all. the guy is a scientist. I would have thought he'd hang around and try to gather as much info as possible

message 34: by Nora (new)

Nora | 22 comments Playing catch up...Chapter 1-3

I have not read anything by Crouch before but this book just kept popping up. I'd see it everywhere and once I read what it was about I felt intrigued.

The striking cover is what originally made this book stand out to me. Not sure if there is a significance to the color or if it's intention was to grab readers.

I am thinking it is alternative dimensions being they are similar in many ways but have one major difference, Jason starting a family in one and being a successful bachelor in another. I think these will be the only versions in this book however, I don't see there being an army of Jasons at this point.

It's easy to point out what he should have done as an outsider looking in but the reality is that when a person is in a traumatic situation the mind can become foggy and they don't think as clearly as they might normally. Also people tend to believe that if they do as they are told they will be safe.

I also love the pace, as soon as I opened the book I was quickly done with the first 3 chapters. I don't see me taking a break, I wanna know where this all goes!

6. Did you agree with Jason1s attempts at escape when we woke up? Should he have just stayed where he was and tried to learn more? Will the hospital have him committed or will he be found and taken back to the lab?

I definitely did not agree with him running. He is a scientist but he didn't stick around to see what was going on? I don't even agree about him going to the hospital, if he wanted a doctors help he should have stayed and talked to the only doctor who could give him answers.

message 35: by KayB (last edited Nov 14, 2016 02:31PM) (new)

KayB | 8 comments 1. Why did you decide to join this read? Have you read Crouch before?

I decided to join this read because I just started college in August and I have been running around and I realized that I hadn't read a book in a couple of months and I hadn't been on goodreads in awhile either. And no, I haven't read any of Crouch's books before.

It could be ironic. Being that dark matter is invisible to the naked eye, so a color that is very vibrant and stands out, was picked as the color for the book.

Yes I think that it is an alternate dimension. And I think that eventually we will begin to hear more about multiverses, although I don't know how I'll keep up if other Jason's are thrown into the mix.

Yes, I do think that it's realistic that he'd keep driving, especially in the state that he was in, and especially because we were able to hear his thought processes. Would I have continued driving? I don't know. Truthfully, I probably would have ran off the side of the road, like into a tree or something. But no, I would not have ran into the bar, because in my mind, that's putting more people's lives in danger.

So far I'm relatively ok with the pacing, but I'm used to fast paced action books, so there's a part of me that is waiting for things to start picking up more and for the action to start.

I think that it would have been better for J1 to just stay there and try to figure out what was going on. As long as they think that he's the guy that they're looking for, he use that advantage to try and gain information and figure out what's going on. He should have just played it cool. Fake it until you make it.

message 36: by KayB (new)

KayB | 8 comments 7. What did you think about Jason2's reunion with Daniela. Do you think Daniela senses something's off but decides to go along anyway - it looks like her husband, right?

I think that J2's whole reason for switching universes, was mainly for Daniela. And of course Daniela knows that something is off, but it is Jason in every sense of the word, it's just a Jason from another universe. So it's the same person, it's just that his mood is different. He's more excited about life instead of settling into the perfect but slightly depressing mood that they've made the norm.

It just reminds me that for every action you make in one universe, you have the opposite reaction in another, so there's a constant splitting. It reminds me a lot of video games though. Every action you make and every new skill and choice you choose in a video game shapes your character for the rest of the game. Just like life.

No I'm not surprised, because although these are alternate universes, these are the same people with the same feelings, stories, and histories, for the most part. These two universes are based on one event. The event that instead of Jason marrying Daniela, he breaks up with her and she has an abortion. So anything before that event remains the same. And I think that may have been specifically what J2 was looking for in deciding which reality to cross over into.

I think he shot Daniela because the lab feared that J1 could have told her about what was going on.

I don't think he's going to come clean. I think he was just thinking out loud and trying to impress her and boggle her mind so to speak and maybe that was also his way of telling her without really telling her.

message 37: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

KayB wrote: "It could be ironic. Being that dark matter is invisible to the naked eye, so a color that is very vibrant and stands out, was picked as the color for the book...."

Good theory!

message 38: by Tania (new)

Tania Chapters Four - Six

I don't think she could ever suspect what is actually going on, but I think she is concerned that something is up. He is definitely acting differently, but what person doesn't want to be wooed by their spouse? I think her actions are completely understandable, just as I understand the other Jason1's actions. They are still loving the same person, just the same person under different circumstances.

It definitely makes me think about what true "success" is and the actions we should take to preserve what is truly important.

I kind of discussed this in the first question. I agree with your sentiment. I also think it speaks on what love is and how we love people as they change. At the core, Jason and Daniela are the same people they fell in love with. Of course, if this is the case, this means that our view of Jason2 may need to change. Is he essentially the same as Jason1, just pushed to make a desperate decision?

That was a shock. I thought things were going too well, but it was still very sad. I think this was done, because of the fear she may know confidential information. That lab is up to some stuff that they don't want others to know about.

I'm not sure he will tell her, I think it is more of a chance to "confess" without actually confessing. I think this moment also reflects the talk that the other Daniela alludes to them having that influenced her art exhibit.

message 39: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1793 comments 7. What did you think about Jason2's reunion with Daniela. Do you think Daniela senses something's off but decides to go along anyway - it looks like her husband, right?
I'm not sure that she thinks something is off, but she does seem to notice that he is acting more intense, which can happen. We all go through highs and lows in life.

No because I don't think there are alternate realities. I think that our choices are important, and they impact the people around us, but when they are done we need to move on and deal with the impact.

Oh, maybe. I just thought he followed her because she was the best way to try to gauge what is really going on. Like a scientific problem.

I was shocked too. I'm not sure why he did it.

I kind of think that he has been in this multiverse before.

message 40: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay | 1793 comments Questions for Chapters 7 & 8

12. I am really enjoying this story! It keeps me very engaged and is moving right along! Are you enjoying it? Do you have a favorite character?

13. There were an endless number of multiverses for them to visit. Is there a world you would have stayed in? Why or why not?

14. There was a lot of science in this section. Did you understand it? Is this really a theory that is out there?

15. I can't help but wonder how Jason2 was able to find his way back and forth in the corridor? How do you think he did it?

message 41: by Lara (new)

Lara | 676 comments Questions for Chapters 7 & 8

12. I am really enjoying this story! It keeps me very engaged and is moving right along! Are you enjoying it? Do you have a favorite character? It was pretty easy to get into once I started reading. It was darker than I had expected, so each time I put it down I was a little reluctant to pick it up again, but was quickly drawn in every time. As for my favorite character, I think it's Daniella. She's pretty strong and knows where her heart lies.

13. There were an endless number of multiverses for them to visit. Is there a world you would have stayed in? Why or why not? I think I would have wanted to visit more, and would have left many of them much sooner (and before the drug wore off) when I realized things had gone wrong there. I think my favorite was the futuristic world that was peaceful and beautiful. Though it didn't look like the Chicago I know.

14. There was a lot of science in this section. Did you understand it? Is this really a theory that is out there? I believe it is a theory that is out there. It's just a matter of our inability to prove it conclusively.

15. I can't help but wonder how Jason2 was able to find his way back and forth in the corridor? How do you think he did it? I think he had more vials. Plus, he may have been more focused and figured out what was going on much sooner and so used that. Then there was the fact that he was alone, so the doors he chose were not affected by another person's presence.

message 42: by KayB (last edited Nov 14, 2016 09:02PM) (new)

KayB | 8 comments 12. I am really enjoying this story! It keeps me very engaged and is moving right along! Are you enjoying it? Do you have a favorite character?

So far so good. And I can't say I really have a favorite character yet. None of the characters are really sticking out to me if I'm honest. I feel like I'm more entranced in the story, than any character particularly.

13. There were an endless number of multiverses for them to visit. Is there a world you would have stayed in? Why or why not?

All the worlds they traveled too seemed pretty god awful, so no I would not have stayed in any of them.

14. There was a lot of science in this section. Did you understand it? Is this really a theory that is out there?

I understood the science for the most part. I was probably more captured by the science of it all than the individual characters. And yes, this is a theory that is actually out there. That there are an endless amount of realities based on the endless amount of choices that are made in day to day life.

15. I can't help but wonder how Jason2 was able to find his way back and forth in the corridor? How do you think he did it?

Seeming as J2 built the box, I think that he was more aware of the fact that whoever is in the box controls it, whereas it took Amanda and J1 a couple of tries before they grasped that concept. I feel like he just kept thinking of worlds where he and Daniela were together until he eventually found the perfect one.

message 43: by Nora (new)

Nora | 22 comments Chapters Four - Six

The reunion was very telling about Jason2's mindset about his old life. He is so elated to be with Daniela that it's obvious that he spent a lot of time in his old life wishing he was with her. I think Daniela was taken back at first but once he explained about the near miss with the cab she seemed to just think that was the change in him.

I'm glad that the author is making it clear that Jason's life wasn't the only thing effected by the change, it reminds us of the big picture of the choices we make. I am a person who is always thinking about the paths I take and do find myself wondering what was down one I didn't take but I always feel that if I am happy on the one I choose then that other path doesn't matter.

I feel that author was trying to say that as well. I was happy to see that no matter the path they were meant to be.

I was shocked too! My heart hurt for Jason1, he found her and now she is gone forever. I think who ever the man is he is tied to the experiment Jason2 was doing and he most likely killed Daniela in case Jason1 told her anything.

I don't think he's gearing up to tell her the truth I think it was his way of telling her without actually telling her.

message 44: by Tania (new)

Tania Questions for Chapters 7 & 8

12. I am really enjoying this story! It keeps me very engaged and is moving right along! Are you enjoying it? Do you have a favorite character?

I am really enjoying it. It is very engaging, although I'm not feeling super connected to any of the characters. I think I most admire Amanda. She didn't have to get involved at all, but did, because she knew it was the right thing to do.

Of the ones they've shown? No, not yet. The worlds they've visited have been harsh and dangerous. Not even curiosity would make want me to stay in one of them, although I was curious about the forested world.

It took some thinking and a bit of rereading, but I was able to follow the train of thought. It is built on actual theories of multiverses, which is quite interesting if you look into it. The power of observation is very intriguing to study. The only area I hadn't heard of was the possibility of keeping people from decohering. I'm not sure how it would be possible to be aware of what is going on, but not "observe" in a way that would obstruct superposition.

I think the end of the chapter discusses that a bit. I don't think he "navigated" through it. The way I understood it, the "hallway" isn't actually there; it is just the way the brain tries to identify what is going on. When they are in superposition, they are actually in all multiverses at once, the brain just can't comprehend that. When they choose a door, they are simply turning their focus to one of the places they are in. I think Jason2 just learned to control where he went with his emotions. Perhaps he tapped into the regret he was feeling from leaving Daniela?

message 45: by Tamara (new)

Tamara 7. What did you think about Jason2's reunion with Daniela. Do you think Daniela senses something's off but decides to go along anyway - it looks like her husband, right?
I think that she senses some difference but couldn't point a finger to it. It might be that he resembles the Jason from former times and she is happy that some of the old, more intense (maybe happier?) Jason is back.

I don't think that the Chicago itself is very different (but maybe I read to quickly). I think it is interesting to think about different paths for each decision we make but it is mind blowing to think about a new dimension each time I make a decision.

I heard a podcast about the book and they said the book is a big love story (beside the science fiction part). And I think that is true and says it all :)

I was really shocked too! The world Jason2 lives in is probably much more dangerous, especially considering the job Jason2 is doing. Working in the lab seems to be a top secret thing and they were probably afraid that Daniela knows about what the lab is doing. Nevertheless - very brutal!

I don't think that he wants to open up (as he seems used to keeping his work a big secret) but I think he probably likes to think about his research and couldn't stop?

message 46: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Questions for Chapters 7 & 8

Totally agree, I found that I couldn't stop reading! I think all the characters are well constructed. I agree with Tania, that I probably would go with Amanda

I would have liked to have stayed in the futuristic peaceful one a little longer ;)

Yes I didn't find this too difficult because I guess I have read a bit about these theories and different fictional books that explore it. It is mind-bending, but then so is Einstein's theory of relativity!! So it is hard to discount it

I've wondered this too. He was gone for MUCH longer - 14 months - and had a lot more vials ; so I can only assume he spent longer in some worlds than others. I think he came across Jason's world just by luck but decided to stay there and "swap". I don't understand how he was able to ensure Jason1 went into Jason2's world though. I know they both took a drug, so maybe he was able to pinpoint the world and "push" Jason1 through the door and just stay put himself?

message 47: by Clare (new)

Clare Butler | 294 comments Chapters ONE - THREE

No never read him before. I love reading new books with this group - often books I wouldn't choose myself.

Blood springs to mind but I'm not sure this book is going to be bloody.

I have read the whole three chapters twice now because I didn't spot that the masked man was Jason the first time. It could get confusing but I'm loving the concept.

I guess hindsight is an amazing thing. When we are put under pressure maybe we don't always do what we think we are going to do. I think I probably would have driven the car though particularly as he had a gun.

The pacing is great and it's quite an easy read as it is mostly short sentences and dialogue.

I can see why he tried to escape - maybe that's a natural instinct and he hasn't got a clue what is going on. But I think I would have been a bit inquisitive about what was going on, particularly as everyone applauded him and they didn't seem to be hurting him anymore.

message 48: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4065 comments Questions for Chapters 7 & 8

I am really enjoying this story too. I think one of my favorite characters is the psychologist tagging along with Jason.

So far none of the multi-verses they have encountered seem very good so I would keep looking too. I would have liked to stay in the multi-verse where Daniela was a famous artist.

Yes it is Quantum Physics - a real science. I understand it at the basic level. Each choice you make leads you along a certain path and there are multiple universes all around us.

Maybe he is having some memories of building it.???

message 49: by Poonam (new)

Poonam | 175 comments Questions for Chapters 7 & 8

I am loving the story but I do not have a favorite character till now...

I love the concept for multiverses. But it really makes me wonder how my life would have been in any parallel world.... I love my life and wouldn't want to change anything.

I am understanding a bit of what is happening theoretically but I am not sure how authentic all the physics theory are.

He is obviously a genius who has designed the box and is definitely capable of working out all it's dynamics.

message 50: by Melike (new)

Melike | 53 comments Comments and Questions
12 Nov
Chapters ONE - THREE

This book had a lot of good reviews, so I decided to read it and boy am I glad I did. It is my first read by Crouch and I am now a fan.

I didn't give this much thought, but it matches well with the pace of this novel. It gets your "blood" pumping...

It thought it was realistic.
we should definitely ditch the break day, lol!!!! I forced myself to put it aside because I was afraid I was gonna finish it in one sitting! And since the sentences are so short it makes it easy to fly through the novel.

I did agree with his attempts to escape, he was in such a fierce panic in the beginning.

« previous 1 3