The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016/17 Group Reads - Archives > Nominations - December 2016

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 4487 comments Mod
Before it gets crazy busy, I wanted to start the nomination process for December. We will be reading short stories in December because most people find it easier to handle during the busy holiday season, and we want to encourage as much participation as possible. The guidelines for nominations are: the book must fit our time period. It cannot have been read in the last two years. One book per person. One book per author. Thread will stay open for one week or when we hit 8 nominations.

message 2: by Frances, Moderator (new)

Frances (francesab) | 1870 comments Mod
I would like to nominate Tales of Mystery and Imagination. We don't appear to have read any Poe previously, and this combination of his gothic/horror stories and the Dupin mystery stories (which some consider the earliest detective fiction) would make an interesting holiday/winter read.

message 3: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 91 comments I'd like to nominate The Best Short Stories of O. Henry. Almost all are 1910 or earlier, we can omit the few outside of the range if that's permissible!

message 4: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie | 2893 comments Mod
I would like to nominate The Happy Prince and Other Tales by Oscar Wilde.
It doesn't have to be exactly this book, as long as the stories are by Oscar Wilde.

message 5: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Some great nominations. I don't think we've read Poe or O. Henry in the years I've been involved. I'm excited to see authors we haven't touched upon.

message 6: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceyrb) I would like to nominate The Wise Woman and Other Stories by George MacDonald Not a long book but some great stories.

message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mcbride The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories, I would have suggested Dubliners but unfortunately they were published in 1914! Not sure how to add actual links, sorry! Always loved Maupassant's short stories.

message 8: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Sharon wrote: "The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories, I would have suggested Dubliners but unfortunately they were published in 1914! Not sure how to add actual links, sorry! Always lov..."

Your links are fine. Those are wonderful stories

message 9: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Two more slots left

message 10: by Gem , Moderator (new)

Gem  Paullin | 749 comments Mod
I would like to nominate A Murder, a Mystery and a Marriage by Mark Twain.

message 11: by Belgrada (new)

Belgrada | 1 comments Hi everyone!
I'd like to suggest Short Stories from the 19th Century, selected by David Stuart Davies
I don't know how to put a link. Sorry
Thanks

message 12: by Gem , Moderator (new)

Gem  Paullin | 749 comments Mod
Belgrada wrote: "Hi everyone!
I'd like to suggest Short Stories from the 19th Century, selected by David Stuart Davies
I don't know how to put a link. Sorry
Thanks"

Here is the link: Short Stories from the Nineteenth Century

message 13: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Ok that's 8. I am closing the thread and will shortly post the poll

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.