2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Who Buries the Dead (Sebastian St. Cyr, #10)
This topic is about Who Buries the Dead
Who Buries the Dead > Question G

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Oct 23, 2016 03:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
"He loved her with a tenderness and a passion that humbled, awed, and frightened him; he was closer to her than he had ever been to anyone." Given these sentiments about Hero, what do you think Sebastian now feels about you know who?

Phrynne | 601 comments She has become the most important person in his life. And I am pretty sure she feels the same way about him.

I meant Kat. I was trying to avoid saying her name:)

Phrynne | 601 comments Ah - got the quote wrong didn't I!!!!!
Not sure he really thinks about her at all now. Although of course he will be honorable and think that he does:)

When he had these thoughts about Hero, I just couldn't imagine Kat being more than a distant, fond memory. Maybe he's now ready to reunite with his father.

I revised the question to make it clearer.

message 7: by Veronica (last edited Oct 24, 2016 01:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments Jonetta wrote: "I meant Kat. I was trying to avoid saying her name:)"

She who shall not be named. LOL

I love this quote and I think it speaks to a more mature Sebatian. It makes sense too considering all that he and Hero have been through in their short time together. When he and Kat were first together it was young love, powerful and seemingly all-consuming as most first loves are. But Sebastian hadn't experienced the harshness of war yet at that time and since running into Kat again, it's clear that he hasn't shared many of those experiences with her. Even when Sebastian and Hero first had sex, thinking they were going to die, he was already telling Hero things he had never told Kat. Now, to be fair, that was because he figured he was a dead man but, still, lol. But now he has told Hero everything and she understands him in a way that Kat can't. Kat knows the boy he was - and he the girl she was - but they really are a lot less knowing of the people they are now. Sebastian acknowledged that the distance between them is growing wider in the book where Yates dies.

I'll be curious to see what Sebastian's reaction will be when Kat returns to town after her year of mourning. I'm hoping for just feelings of fondness and the love one has for an old friend, but no romantic regrets anymore. I want him to be thankful that life worked out the way it did because it brought him to Hero.

Phrynne | 601 comments Beautifully said Veronica:)

Just perfect, Veronica.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments Ditto, Veronica.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Excellent points, Veronica.

I really don't want Kat coming back but I guess she will have to so that Sebastian can finally put his relationship with her in the past.

There is no doubt that Sebastian's love for Hero is deep and abiding, a true partnership in every sense. What he had with Kat was nothing more than infatuation and he could never really trust her like he can Hero.

message 12: by Veronica (last edited Nov 07, 2016 07:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments I'd rather she never come back either. Not really a spoiler IMO but just in case,(view spoiler).

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Veronica wrote: "I'd rather she never come back either. Not really a spoiler IMO but just in case,[spoilers removed]."

Good to know.

message 14: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 40 comments Veronica, I like the way you described it as the immature boy/girl relationship vs. the mature adult relationship. I was thinking about Sebastian's relationship with Kat when Sebastian and Hero talk about Sebastian's mother. It was occurring to me that Sebastian's love for Kat was tied into his mourning for his mother--I think they had in common big dramatic personalities and keeping secrets. And then ironically he's actually getting the nurturing he didn't get from his mother from Hero, because she's more of an independent adult person, and you have to have that kind of independence and maturity to nurture someone--whether that someone is a child or another adult.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments That is a very interesting point about Sebastian and Kat's relationship being tied to the loss of his mother. It makes sense that he would need to bestow his love on someone. It is just a pity it was Kat.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 694 comments And the loss of a mother was something they shared and could bond over. Great point, Jasmine!

message 17: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 40 comments That's true Veronica! Sebastian and Kat were both young people injured by the loss of a mother. Sebastian went looking for a mother replacement--and Kat was somewhat like his mother. Kat might have been looking for love too, but her loss drove her toward revenge as well and that interfered with her ability to love.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 213 comments I love this quote. It says so much about how Sebastian has grown and matured since he met Hero. She makes him a better man.

What disturbs me though is that the next sentence "Yet in some vital, inexplicable way he found himself feeling more alone and disconnected than ever." I felt sad for Sebastian for a minute, then Hero came and he talked through more of his pain.

I'm so happy that Sebastian is at the place where he recognizes that he has a partner and help mate instead of the puppy love he had with Kat.

Puppy lust😏

Seriously, though. His attraction to Kat was strong so I don’t want to marginalize his feelings for her. But, it was unhealthy and immature.

message 20: by Sharon (last edited May 30, 2020 08:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 213 comments Jonetta wrote: "Puppy lust😏

Seriously, though. His attraction to Kat was strong so I don’t want to marginalize his feelings for her. But, it was unhealthy and immature."

I agree his love was strong. She hurt him when she pushed him away which made it stronger. Taboo love is always stronger in the beginning.

More than the connection of their mothers, I believe that Sebastian's bubbling anger with his father, fed Kat's anger with England.

Sebastian went off to war to make Kat pay, hopefully with his death. I think there was a feeling of if I die, then you will be sorry you turned me away. Then, when he came home and found out his father was the reason Kat pushed him away, it made their forbidden love stronger.

What confounds me though, is that Sebastian never blames Kat for helping France. It seems that he should especially as we learn more about the atrocities committed in Portugal.

Great points, Sharon!

Kat will always have a place in his heart that he’ll protect. Perhaps over time he will have a more reasonable outlook towards her. For now? To shun her would hurt too much.