What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Scifi/Fantasy/Horror: Gem on cover and groveling demon/monster on first page.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Sittler | 42 comments I read this book sometime in the mid '00s and I have no idea if it was new or not. It was a medium sized paperback with a jewel of some kind inset in something on the cover.

All I remember was the first page has some form of monster/beast/demon with a name that started with a G groveling at a man's feet and pleading with him in the third person. Example: "G sorry, master. G promise to behave!"
Sort of like Gollum.

I'm 100% positive it was NOT a Tolkien book.

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (khek) | 270 comments Maybe Gurgi from Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series?

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33315 comments Mod
The Chronicles of Prydain series by Lloyd Alexander - suggested by Kelly - https://www.goodreads.com/series/4037...

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37757 comments Mod
Chris, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 5: by slauderdale (last edited Jul 03, 2019 04:55PM) (new)

slauderdale | 134 comments This is probably not your book. "Grunts" by Mary Gentle (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...) has had several covers, but none like you describe: the closest is an early red cover with some doltish Orcs sitting on a pile of treasure. However, it does feature a whimpering familiar on the first page, so I mention it just in case.

-.-.-.-

In the tower of the nameless necromancer it is always cold.

The big orc's breath smoked odorously on the air. He pulled the buckles of his breastplate tighter round his muscled body. Frost sparkled on the laminated black armour sheathing his shoulders, arms, and bowed thighs. The sorcerous cold bites into orc-flesh as no ordinary winter can.

'I come,' he rumbled.

He slung the war-axe and warhammer from his broad, hairy shoulders; and pulled the winged iron helmet with its nasal spike more firmly down on his misshapen skull. Even standing to attention he slouches forward; his knuckles hang down beside his knees.

'Hurry,' the familiar whimpered. 'Master calls: hurry-hurry-hurry!'

The orc drew his knobbly foot back, aimed, and kicked the familiars lean, hairy buttocks. The familiar shot down the corridor, bouncing off the walls several times.

'Don't give orders to Ashnak of the fighting Agaku!' The big orc guffawed, striding up the nine hundred and ninety-nine steps to the tower's top chamber.

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Lloyd Alexander (other topics)