Jane Austen discussion

Missing Jane > New Reading Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
I would like to have another Missing Jane group read in Sept.

Our Missing Jane reads are those written after Austen’s day that might carry on her tradition in some way:

Similar in feel or themes, writing style, the social comedy, possibly domestic fiction (although Jane went at least a step beyond domestic fiction), etc. Not necessarily written by women and not necessarily women as main characters. In this category, we aren’t really looking for Austen fan fiction or anything with “JA” in the title.

I will carry over some of the titles suggested last time, but not necessarily in this next poll. I do plan to add a Barbara Pym novel as my own suggestion.

If you have any wishes for a novel, please post it here and join along in voting when I place the poll.

message 2: by Stella (new)

Stella (stella_exlibris) | 9 comments Great initiative! and yes, yes *nods enthusiastically* nominate a Barbara Pym novel please!

message 3: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

I appreciate the enthusiasm, Stella. Would you have a preference between Pym's A Glass of Blessings or Some Tame Gazelle?

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 47 comments I would love to join. I've never read a Barbara Pym novel.

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) I recently read Barbara Pym's Excellent Women, and it was an enchanting and just a touch bittersweet read. I also found a near-new copy of A Few Green Leaves at a used bookstore in Billings, Montana, bringing my total of Pyms to five! I look forward to your poll, Sarah!

message 6: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hicks (goodreadscomlaurele) Christopher wrote: "I recently read Barbara Pym's Excellent Women, and it was an enchanting and just a touch bittersweet read. I also found a near-new copy of A Few Green Leaves at a used bookstore in Billings, Monta..."

I'm primed for Pym, too.

message 7: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Since I am pleased that we have some Pym enthusiasm for our next Missing Jane discussion, I plan to post a poll later today of three Pym novels mentioned already. Christopher, I will skip Excellent Women this time and list the other three novels set in a village. I am curious to compare her fictional village life with that of Austen.

I think listing only 3 titles in the poll will work fine, since there are only a few of us interested so far. We won't dilute the vote too much that way.

Let me know if anyone else has any other input. Have a great day!

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) Terrific, Sarah! Of the three Pyms mentioned, the only one that I presently have is A Few Green Leaves. I surmise that I could obtain one or the other of the other two if one is chosen in the poll. I am looking forward to 'Pymming' with you all! Cheers! Chris

message 9: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

Hello, sir, I don't own any of them either. I will have to check the public library again. I know they had a few Pyms available. How does your local library stand on Pyms?

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) Sarah wrote: "Hello, sir, I don't own any of them either. I will have to check the public library again. I know they had a few Pyms available. How does your local library stand on Pyms?"

Sarah, nil the last time I checked, but I'll give it another look see here in a day or two. I can always order it on Amazon too. Cheers! Chris

message 11: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hicks (goodreadscomlaurele) Sarah wrote: "Hello, sir, I don't own any of them either. I will have to check the public library again. I know they had a few Pyms available. How does your local library stand on Pyms?"

My little small-town public library is Pym-perfect--many titles on audio tape, and many others on paper.

Literary Multitudes (literary_multitudes) | 17 comments I also never read anything by Barbara Pym, but want to! :) So I'd love to join and I also should have some free time again in September...