Flights of Fantasy discussion

Titus Groan (Gormenghast, #1)
This topic is about Titus Groan
Fantasy > Titus Groan: worth the time?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Minerd (jeffminerd) I'm about 50 pages into this book. The writing is clever and the characters vivid, but I've never read a book before where the pacing is so deliberately S-L-O-W. It's hard not to nod off while reading it. I'm wondering, is this book worth the time? Is there a payoff to sticking with it? I'd love to hear from anyone who has read this or any other of Mervyn Peake's books. Thanks!

message 2: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I'm not sure anyone's read it. Maybe that's a sort of answer? ^_^

message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Minerd (jeffminerd) colleen the fabulous fabulaphile wrote: "I'm not sure anyone's read it. Maybe that's a sort of answer? ^_^"

Thanks Colleen! I think you are right. :)

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) | 46 comments I read it years ago in that hazy time before Goodreads. I remember it being enjoyable but agonizingly slow and I wasn't in a hurry to read the next book in the series. And I still haven't.

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Minerd (jeffminerd) Dan wrote: "I read it years ago in that hazy time before Goodreads. I remember it being enjoyable but agonizingly slow and I wasn't in a hurry to read the next book in the series. And I still haven't."

Thanks Dan! It's good to know someone else felt similarly about the book.

message 6: by Jay (new) - added it

Jay (okay_jay) | 135 comments I have an omni of the full series (I believe from Tusk), but have yet to tackle it. It's been looming on my shelves for a couple years... And may continue to do so. Wish you well on your journey, though.

message 7: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Minerd (jeffminerd) Thank you James! I also have a thick paperback book containing all three Gormenghast novels, from Overlook Press, and I think it will be looming and gathering dust on my shelf too. :)

Steve | 3 comments I actually love the Gormenghast books, Titus Groan is one of my favourite novels. I love how absurd and grotesque it can be without ever being gratuitous - not that I have a problem with that approach, but Titus... was refreshingly different. Also makes a mockery of "tradition for traditions sake" which I found fun.

Philip Dodd (philipdodd) | 6 comments I loved reading Titus Groan, Gormenghast and Titus Alone for Mervyn Peake's mastery and use of the English language alone. He was a poet as well as a novelist, and I liked the way his poet's ear for words is revealed in his prose. Gormenghast is perhaps the best of the three books, for it follows the plots of Steerpike against the high ones of Gormenghast castle. The three books are unique, works of fine literature. I like them for the names of the characters alone, like Irma Prunesquallor and Flay.

message 10: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Minerd (jeffminerd) Thanks Steve! It's good to hear from someone who enjoyed the novel.

message 11: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Minerd (jeffminerd) Thanks Philip! I enjoyed Peake's rich, clever prose as well. And I liked the character names too. :)