Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [2017] 14th Mini Poll Results - List Complete!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Oct 22, 2016 06:58AM) (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
Our list is now complete! Although many of you have already started the planning process, th official 2017 Plans folder will be available on November 1. Until then, there are plenty of fun discussions to continue the joy of discussing 2017.:

The Wild Discussion
Recommendations for 2017 List

Winners:
- A collection (e.g. essays, short stories, poetry, plays)
- A New York Times best-seller

The 52 Topics for the 2017 Reading Challenge
Suggestions for Each Week - In Progress

message 2: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments I'm glad the collection made it (finally!) and very disappointed that the simplistic cover isn't here. Maybe I'll use it for the past suggestion, but I'll wait the other challenge lists to see what I want to pick.

The NYT was a disappointment at first but it appears that 2 duologies I want to read in 2017 are best sellers, so it'll be a nice spot to help me complete a series. Yey :)

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the full list, there are some topics a little difficult for me and some that I found easy to fill with books I'm really interested in. I already planned a lot and read the 1st pages of the excerpts for my choices, so I'm excited to start :D

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) Not too thrilled about the collection one, but hopefully I can find one that fits that category in my TBR. As far as the NY Times Best seller, i'm very pleased because i'm working on a personal challenge to read every book that has made that list since it started. The challenge will be to pick the book I want to read!

message 4: by Clare (last edited Oct 22, 2016 09:20AM) (new)

Clare (-clare-) | 106 comments I'm fine with both of these. The collection looks like it's been scheduled for the week leading up to Christmas so i'm sure i'll be able to find a book of festive short stories to get me in a Christmassy mood and I have a couple of NYT best sellers on my TBR.

message 5: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Thanks, Laura! This is awesome! Also, thanks to the other mods for working so hard over the past several months. I can only imagine how much work coordinating all of this was for you guys. I really appreciate all of the hard work you've put into the group!

I know you all are working on so many things, not to mention that you do have lives outside of the group, but is there an rough estimate of when the folder will open so we can post 2017 plans?

message 6: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Disregard my last comment. I just saw Zaz's post in the Mod Announcements. Thanks again, ladies. :D

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2715 comments I'm ok with those topics, but neither are ones I especially wanted since I've already done both of them already this year. I was also hoping for the simplistic cover design, and the eccentric character.

message 8: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2986 comments Rachel wrote: "I'm ok with those topics, but neither are ones I especially wanted since I've already done both of them already this year. I was also hoping for the simplistic cover design, and the eccentric chara..."

If you want to make it different this year, you could restrict yourself to only 2017 NYT Bestsellers, you won't have read any of those yet and it could be a bit nerve wracking (AKA fun) waiting for something you actually like to make the list.

For the collection, if you did poetry last year do a sci-fi collection this year, or how about a collection written by teen authors , like Budding Bards? This topic especially is super versatile. :-)

Myself, I am happy with these two. Maybe that's because I was afraid something much worse would get chosen, but still, I'm happy! lol

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2715 comments That's true. Maybe I'll limit myself like that for the bestseller. For the collection, I have a couple of books in mind so it's not too much of a problem.

Actually, what I'm more disappointed about is that I had a NYT bestseller in mind for if it was on the rejects list (one of the Artemis Fowl books), but I'm not sure I want to include it as part of my main challenge. The series isn't too high-priority for me, although I would like to read it at some point.

message 10: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments I can't believe it! Another of my suggestions made it to the list. It was resubmitted by someone else, but it makes me happy anyway :)

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments I think these two are really good topics to round out the list, even though I didn't vote for either of them.

New York Times was a topic for Popsugar this year, and I did exactly what Amy mentioned. I read a book that was a bestseller this year, and I really enjoyed doing that. I'll be doing the same for the 2017 challenge.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) I just realized something. One was in my top 4 and the other was in my bottom 4. It's kind of funny that happened in a way.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2715 comments I know I've seemed like quite a complainer in some of the threads, but I'm actually so excited for the challenge! I spent about an hour today just looking through some of the lists in the Big List Link thread, just to get a quick idea of how many books on my TBR might cover some of the topics and there are tons, and lots of the ones that I'm most excited to read!

message 14: by Bec (last edited Oct 23, 2016 03:42AM) (new)

Bec | 790 comments Gah, I'm really not looking forward to a collection.

message 15: by Elín Birna (new)

Elín Birna (elinbirna) | 114 comments I'm glad the collection made it. And it's so exciting to have the whole list complete! I think that all in all it's a well rounded list. But it's going to be a challenge to not get lost in the planning right away when I need to focus on completing this year's challenge...

message 16: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 946 comments I think the list has turned out extremely well. I couldn't help starting my plan now it is complete. As I finished this year's list in eight months, I have included some longer books which fit in really well with the new list. As Elin said , it has turned out to be a very well rounded list.

message 17: by Pamela (last edited Oct 23, 2016 08:47AM) (new)

Pamela | 651 comments Jennifer wrote: "Not too thrilled about the collection one, but hopefully I can find one that fits that category in my TBR. As far as the NY Times Best seller, i'm very pleased because i'm working on a personal cha..."

I'm with you- I have never read a collection and never even been tempted! I hate short stories, esp a whole lot of them. I'll probably substitute this one with a reject choice.

I thought the NY TImes challenge was a current one which I love because I'm trying to keep up with books as they come out.

Now the real challenge is to finish this year's list and keep myself from organizing for next year instead! Good list! Good job, voters!

message 18: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 651 comments Rachel wrote: "I know I've seemed like quite a complainer in some of the threads, but I'm actually so excited for the challenge! I spent about an hour today just looking through some of the lists in the Big List ..."

I'm with you- when you vote you get really excited about some categories and disappointed when they don't make it. I think next year I'm going to skip voting, seeing the list as a fait complete would be much happier than seeing it and thinking about categories you loved that didn't make it.

message 19: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
I think I have a lot of patience with the results just because I tend to forget what I voted for :P

message 20: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments I am so pleased the collection made it. It was in my top 4 last time it was nominated as well as this time so I'm glad that got in. There are just so many options for it, essays, poems, short stories, novellas, comics, etc. I'm sure everyone could find something.

I didn't vote for the NYT best seller because I wasn't that interested and thought t was a bit similar to some topics we already had but it wasn't in my bottom 4 either so I don't mind that it made it in. Im sure there are lots of options to choose from for it as well.

So excited that the list is now complete. I'm looking forward to seeing the final order of the topics as well so I can decide if I'm going to be trying to read it in order this time or jumping around (I want to fit in some books from a series so if I can't put those in order I may have to jump around).

message 21: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments Just spotted the link to the final list with the categories in order so ignore that comment! The list looks great and I think it's been ordered really well! So excited to plan it and carry it out next year!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.