Play Book Tag discussion

City of Thieves
This topic is about City of Thieves
October 2016: Historical Fiction > City of Thieves - David Benioff - ★★★★

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susie (last edited Oct 22, 2016 03:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susie | 4488 comments The problem with leaving a gap in between finishing a book and writing the review is that the details start to fade, so forgive me if this is brief!

I really enjoyed this novel, the story of Lev Benioff, a young Jewish boy in Leningrad who is arrested for looting the body of a dead Nazi soldier. He is jailed in the same cell as Koyla, a soldier charged with desertion. Instead of being executed, the young men are both given a reprieve by a Soviet colonel whose daughter is to be married. He sets Lev and Koyla the impossible task of procuring a dozen eggs for her wedding cake.

Benioff manages to effectively and deftly swith from hilarity to compete devastation throughout this novel. Part thriller, part comedy, part coming of age tale, City of Thieves is insightful, informative, soul destroying and funny, all rolled in to one. I will be reading more of Benioff in the future.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Glad you enjoyed it, it's a favorite of mine.

I don't know if Benioff has time for writing books right now, being the show runner and also one of the writers of the Game of Thrones TV series. But I hope he does.

message 3: by Karin (last edited Oct 22, 2016 01:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karin | 6991 comments This is a good book; I know I liked it, but only gave it 4 stars.

message 4: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3808 comments Read this for a group read one time- loved it! Funniest depressing book around!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5790 comments LOVED this book. I've read it twice (once on audio).

Blueberry (blueberry1) I've read it twice too! How was the audio? Maybe I need to listen to it also.

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Joi wrote: "Read this for a group read one time- loved it! Funniest depressing book around!"

Love your summary! .

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Blueberry wrote: "I've read it twice too! How was the audio? Maybe I need to listen to it also."

The audio was absolutely delightful.

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6423 comments Oh my gosh, another for the TBR? I don't think I've even heard of this book before . . .

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5790 comments Anita wrote: "Oh my gosh, another for the TBR? I don't think I've even heard of this book before . . ."

WHAT????? I know there were many reviews on Shelfari a few years ago.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5790 comments Blueberry wrote: "I've read it twice too! How was the audio? Maybe I need to listen to it also."

You can check out My Review HERE for more of my thoughts on the book, and the audio performance.

message 12: by Ladyslott (last edited Oct 25, 2016 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I read it in 2014, and definitely posted a review at PBT /Shelfari, 5 stars

My Review

message 13: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6423 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Anita wrote: "Oh my gosh, another for the TBR? I don't think I've even heard of this book before . . ."

WHAT????? I know there were many reviews on Shelfari a few years ago."

I guess it didn't catch my attention, lol. Or maybe it is the title. It really is very well reviewed I can see. Thanks for sharing the review links, BC and Linda. I will check them out!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5790 comments Anita wrote: "I guess it didn't catch my attention, lol. Or maybe it is the title.o...."

I think there were also many reviews of The Book Thief at about the same time. Since Shelfari didn't give us the option of posting a cover image, the common "thief / thieves" in the titles may have been partly to blame.

Karin | 6991 comments I think I read this before I ever found Shelfari (which I learned about from Anita), but it's a good book. Not one I'd read twice, but 4 stars.

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2219 comments A five star for me. It's really a pretty short book, but memorable.

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 835 comments I agree with all the other commenters here -- great and memorable book. One of my favorites.

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1082 comments I also gave it 5 stars and recommend it often