What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > scifi: short: moon flowers

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments I was reading Ann's request for a moon exploration story:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

And was reminded of a scene, from (I think a short story). Someone on the Moon was looking, and found a crystalline flower growing, it was very delicate and shattered at a touch. I think it also only grew in the shadow? And always cycled when hit by sunlight.

Something about how life is very strange, and how do you know there is no life on the Moon.

Probably 30s-to-60s classic scifi - but don't quote me on that.

Finally had time to do some searches, and didn't turn up anything I like.

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments There's a much more recent story by Stephen Baxter with flowers on the moon - "Saddlepoint: Roughneck" I think.

message 3: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Oct 22, 2016 09:13AM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments I'm still interested in other suggestions, but I'm going to chalk this up as another possibly-solved for you :) (edit: Upon further reflection, I think I'm going to leave this in unsolved for a bit longer)

It isn't quite what I remembered, but unless Baxter was paying homage, then it's possible this is what I read (I've read a number of "year's greatest", and this story is in one of those collections).

Differences:
What I recall reading was that the flowers were smaller (hand/fist size, not 'acres' - ie: how would humans who've surveyed the moon not notice such installations?), did not have rocket-propelled seeds, and were fragile and disintegrated at a human's (spacesuited) touch. Also, a little bit of wistfulness as human(s?) didn't know if it was the last flower of its kind and they might have destroyed it? That maybe it was leftover from when the Moon wasn't as lifeless.

Here's an excerpt that I compiled with the flower details from roughneck:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 4: by Andy (last edited Oct 23, 2016 11:27AM) (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments I'll keep my eyes open for other "moon flowers"

(actually, another one that leaps to mind is John Christopher's "The Lotus Caves" The Lotus Caves - but that's probably not what you're looking for)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments *bump*

message 7: by David (new)

David (jazztea) | 63 comments Is it H G Wells The first men in the moon? I remember there being crystal plants.

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35166 comments Mod
The First Men in the Moon by H. G. Wells - David's suggestion

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments The Moon in Wells' has air, there is also only one mention of 'flower'. http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/1...

message 10: by Lee (new)

Lee Kuivinen | 24 comments I think it's MOON OF MUTINY by Lester Del Rey. It's a novel, but it has crystalline flowers on the Moon.

message 11: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35166 comments Mod
Moon of Mutiny by Lester del Rey - Lee's suggestion

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments Boy, that certainly looks interesting. The cover image looks like it might be something that I've read. It's also a fairly old book, so it's been available for some time.

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments I haven't gotten hold of _Moon of Mutiny_ yet, but I'm still interested in other suggestions. I'm going to try and get this looked at before summer, and not bump again until then.

*bump*

Justanotherbiblophile | 1767 comments *bump* Still looking for other suggestions.

[on hiatus] The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1528 comments I know that Robert Bloch has a story called The Flowers From The Moon, but I can't find anything about it. Knowing the sort of story that he specialized in, it's probably not your story, though.