You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Team D - Dorothy's Team!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Annerlee (last edited Oct 22, 2016 01:48AM) (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Hi team! Thought Id start a discussion group as no one seems to have checked in yet.

Any ideas for a group name? Maybe something Oz related that starts with D?

message 2: by Annerlee (last edited Oct 26, 2016 02:54AM) (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Dorothy's Team Members

Alexandra
Annerlee
Cherie
Connie
Ev
Lanelle
Sam F
Travis
TrudyAn

message 3: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Reserved... For something else ...

message 4: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Ditto...

message 5: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3111 comments I'm here and ready to read.

Annerlee, maybe you could put the list of who's on Team D in message 2.

The obvious Oz related 'D' thing is Dorothy. Maybe a team name as simple as Dorothy's Team?

Is anyone volunteering to be our scorekeeper?

message 6: by Annerlee (last edited Oct 22, 2016 03:44AM) (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments I think Dorothy's Team is an excellent suggestion... Can't believe I didn't think of it...

I can keep the score if everyone's ok with that. That way we can use one of the reserved slots

message 7: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 246 comments Sounds great!

message 8: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alex2911) | 431 comments Hi everyone, I'm here and can't wait to start reading...

message 9: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1653 comments Checking in, I'm ready to get started! Dorothy's Team is a great name.

message 10: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I am here, ready to read, ❤️ Dorothy 's Team as a team name.

message 11: by Annerlee (last edited Oct 22, 2016 09:25AM) (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Seems fhe majority of us are happy with Dorothy's Team. I'll go and change the thread name.

message 12: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments This is only the second toppler I ve ever taken part in.... Do we normally have a cheerleader to post encouragement?

message 13: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments I am here. Really ahould go look for a book now.

message 14: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments That's normally the case Annerlee although a cheerleader isn't a necessity. It does help folk and makes things more fun :-)

message 15: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1653 comments I am starting with For a Modest Fee (book takes place between 1900 and 1950). It should be a quick read. I hope to read at least three books this week. What is everyone else starting with?

message 16: by Lanelle (last edited Oct 22, 2016 11:18AM) (new)

Lanelle | 3111 comments I have company coming tomorrow and staying for the week, so I will not be able to read as much as I usually do.

I'm going to focus on extra point books. I'm starting with The Wizard of Oz.

message 17: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alex2911) | 431 comments I am starting with The Winter People. I hope that it will be a fast read. I'm not sure how many books I'll be able to read this week...

message 18: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Alexandra wrote: "I am starting with The Winter People. I hope that it will be a fast read. I'm not sure how many books I'll be able to read this week..."

I couldn't put that book down as i recall. Be sure to check out the group raed thread for it - we read it earlier in the year i think.

message 19: by Ava Catherine (last edited Oct 22, 2016 12:20PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I am starting with Plainsong, book about family.

message 20: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 246 comments Alexandra wrote: "I am starting with The Winter People. I hope that it will be a fast read. I'm not sure how many books I'll be able to read this week..."

I couldn't put it down either - I hope you enjoy it.

I'm hoping to finish Schindler's List this week which will qualify for the non-fiction or a book made into a movie - whichever we need.

I'll also read Leaves of Grass which would qualify as a classic or a genre I rarely read :)

If I have time, I'm hoping to read Candide which is a book that takes place before 1800.

We'll see how busy the week is. Have fun everyone!

message 21: by Ava Catherine (last edited Oct 22, 2016 08:36PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Finished Plainsong, book about family (Auntie Em, Uncle Henry, Miss Gulch)

message 22: by Ava Catherine (last edited Oct 22, 2016 08:36PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Starting The Widow, a mystery (Ding Dong! The Witch is Dead!)

message 23: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Connie (Ava Catherine) wrote: "Finished Plainsong, book about family"

Wow Connie... That's really mpressive!

message 24: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments Been cold and rainy since thursday afternoon. Up to 5+ invhes of rain so far. After fetting soaked working this morning I decided a nap was a better way to spend the afternoon than reading. Been fighting or running from a cold all week but so far haven't fully caught it. All this wet weather is making it a challenge though. Probably tomorrow afternoon will be a nap as well but I will listen to audio during morning work

message 25: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1653 comments Do we report our completed books on this thread?

message 26: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Each team will have a reporting thread set up. It looks like your team hasn't set one up yet.

message 27: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alex2911) | 431 comments Sam F wrote: "Alexandra wrote: "I am starting with The Winter People. I hope that it will be a fast read. I'm not sure how many books I'll be able to read this week..."

I couldn't put it down ei..."

Thanks, Sam and Sarah! So far I like it a lot. I read until page 200 last night and could not keep my eyes open anymore... can't wait to continue reading it!

message 28: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3111 comments I finished my first book, The Wizard of Oz.
Annerlee, are you going to set up a reporting thread?

message 29: by Ava Catherine (last edited Oct 23, 2016 10:52AM) (new)

message 30: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1653 comments I have finished For a Modest Fee, and am now reading Charlotte's Web, which will be a quick read. I will post to the reporting thread as soon as it has been set up.

message 31: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Hi people.. sorry I wasn't on the thread earlier. It's my birthday today and I've been tied up with visitors all day - Tied up in a nice way ; )

Anyway, I've set up a reporting thread. Please could you report the books you've read as follows, just so it's easier for me to keep track?

Title:
Related Task:
Points Earned:

I'll post a list of names with a score next to each, plus a list of the tasks and which ones we've completed as a group.

If you've already posted your book here, would you mind doing it again in the reporting thread to keep everything together?

message 32: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alex2911) | 431 comments Oh wow, congratulations, Annerlee! I hope you're having a very happy birthday!!!

message 33: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3111 comments description

Happy birthday, Annerlee!

message 34: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1653 comments Happy birthday, Annerlee!

message 35: by Annerlee (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Thank you everybody... !! (BIG Grin!!)

message 36: by Annerlee (last edited Oct 23, 2016 03:12PM) (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments Seems like we've already got our maximum The Wonderful Wizard of Ozreads...

I've started reading The Coral Island as a classic
and was thinking of reading Charlotte's Web after that too!

message 37: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1653 comments I've finished Charlotte's Web. It has been many years since I first read it, and didn't remember any of it. Next I'm going to read a non-fiction book that has been on my TBR list for several years - My Father, Maker of the Trees: How I Survived the Rwandan Genocide.

message 38: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Annerlee wrote: "Seems like we've already got our maximum The Wonderful Wizard of Ozreads..."

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. As many team members who want can read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and get the bonus points.

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48838 comments Happy Birthday, Annerlee!

message 40: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1653 comments I finished My Father, Maker of the Trees: How I Survived the Rwandan Genocide and didn't care for it at all - I would have preferred a historical account of the Rwandan genocide; this was an autobiography with little substance and a strong religious overtone.

So it's back to something lighter. I've started The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Also, though it wasn't in my plans, my library had The Wonderful Wizard of Oz available on audio, so I may as well listen to it. It's another book I have never read.

message 41: by Annerlee (last edited Oct 24, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Annerlee | 2702 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Annerlee wrote: "Seems like we've already got our maximum The Wonderful Wizard of Ozreads..."

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. As many team members who want can read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" and get the bonus points

Not sure where I got this from either ; /
But it makes me happy - That means I can read it too!!

I've just finished Three Act Tragedy which was a good Agatha Christie mystery. I really enjoyed it - Agatha Christie is a master of misdirection. I didn't see the solution coming at all.

I'm currently reading The Coral Island will visit The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and have a book with red shoes on the cover, which I'm curious about... She Wore Red Trainers

She Wore Red Trainers by Na'ima B. Robert

message 42: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments 1 credit at audible could gey one of many wizard of oz versions or 1 credti could buy the comolete series 90hrs. Jist saying. I bought none

message 43: by Ava Catherine (last edited Oct 24, 2016 09:10PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Annerlee, I hope you had a grand birthday!

message 44: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Just thinking...

Oooohh - maybe there should be extra points for pictures posted of our beverages during the Toppler. Alcoholic or nonalcoholic. How about 2 points for each pic? Post pics in the Tippling topic anyway for the rest of us to vicariously drink with you.

message 45: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 6011 comments My current book is for a wild aninal shiwing up on cover Babylon's Ark: The Incredible Wartime Rescue of the Baghdad Zoo but would also work for read a nonfiction

message 46: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments When I posted about tippling pics my brain had gone into overdrive and I had no control over it. This time will be just for fun, but in future Topplers...

I think it would be something like this: It would be for any beverages you drink, maybe for 3 points, with 5 points for it being a beverage in your book.

If you want to post pics just for fun during this Toppler, I think it would be fun. For ones since Saturday, 'fake' pics could be used.

message 47: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1653 comments Sounds like a fun addition for next time, jaxnsmom! Knowing about it beforehand could influence which books people choose. I guess I'll need to finally learn how to post photos on goodreads.

message 48: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1653 comments This team is doing terrific! Connie(Ava Catherine), I keep trying to catch up to you.

I finished The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I recall enjoying it much more when I first read it many years ago, but it was still a fun book this time around. Next up is A Virtuous Woman, a book about a family.

message 49: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Great job, team! : )
I am reading The Caller by Karin Fossum for a thriller.

message 50: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1653 comments Hi Cherie, Welcome to Dorothy's team!

« previous 1