Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

For the Blogless > Frances Alaskan Readathon Book Cafe

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments First time participating. All set to read as much as possible. Going to see how far I get finishing the book I am on and then going through my pile.
I'm a whim reader. I pick books out but them something else catches my eye and it all gets jumbled. Good books usually get read though.
I am so excited to be in this!

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments Welcome! That is my middle name (Frances). I am also a whim reader.

message 3: by Wulfwyn (last edited Oct 22, 2016 12:36AM) (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments 1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? Juneau Alaska USA

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? Totally not sure. It's like asking me to pick a favorite book. I can't. They all have something that interests me.

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? I start at 4am and have mini boxes of cereal. I never buy those but needed the boxes for our costumes so I thought they would be good for this. Then I have been getting goodies dropped off by friends, which is totally cool. I have no idea what all I will have since friends are going to knock and drop. (So they don't interrupt the reading they are bringing a goodie, knocking then leaving it at my door. That way I don't get caught up talking.) I am looking forward to the surprise element of it.

4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I read by mood. I pretty much like all genres. I also like hiking, cooking, crafting. Before coming to Alaska I was from Chicago and SE Kentucky. My shih tzu, Zoey, is my partner in this. She promised me coffee but I think she's lying.

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? This is my first time. I love the idea of reading with others and just having fun with you all.

message 4: by Wulfwyn (last edited Oct 22, 2016 12:47AM) (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Here is what is picked out. Let's see how close I come to it. Haha.

The Witcher Chime by Amity Green
Spooky Sweet A Sweet’s Sweets Bakery Mystery (Samantha Sweet Magical Cozy Mystery Series Book 11) by Connie Shelton
Dragonfly by Julie Dawn
House of Bathory by Linda Lafferty
Sojourn - The Deadlands by B.D. Messick
Double Fudge Brownie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #18) by Joanne Fluke

message 5: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Thank you Kathryn. You are only the second other person I have met with my name. Lol.

Not sure if I am doing this right so if I miss something, please let me know. Thank you so much!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Good luck!

message 7: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Finished The Witcher Chime. I absolutely loved it. I'm going to catch up on mini challenges than start a novella that I'm adding. I feel in the mood for Christmas reading. Lol. So it will be Going Toe to Mistletoe then back to my amazing list of books. Yes!

This is really fun!

message 8: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Mini challenge #2
Dewey's Readathon
Books, coffee, friends, fun!
#sixwordstoryrat

message 9: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Mini challenge #3 Bookish Other Half
Hmm. Hard to choose just one!
I will go with my longest and that would be Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables. I am picking her because she has been with me since childhood. Every time I need comforting she has been there patiently waiting. I can't imagine life without her.

message 10: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Mini challenge #4 Book and a snack.

I posted photos on Twitter, (@AlaskanBookCafe).

message 11: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Mini challenge #5 #RATpuzzle
My answers are:
1. Vow
2. Gown
3. Candles, Cake
4. Gifts
5. Rings
6. Veil
7. Bride
8. Couple
9. Groom
10. Bell
11. Flowers
12. Honeymoon

So many awesome books there!

message 12: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Mini challenge #6 Happy Birthday Poem

I read To Autumn by John Keats. I love his poetry.
To Autumn brings all the sights, smells and taste of autumn to me!

message 13: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Mini challenge #7 Bookish Memories

One of my favorite book memories just happened this year. I had won a book called Neidermayer & Hart by M.J. Johnson during the Spring Into Horror Readathon. I was so scared I turned on every light in the place and literally couldn’t stop reading. Until I was something like 15 pages from the end and I fell asleep! My family thought this was absolutely hilarious and they will not let that die.

Another favorite memory doesn’t involve just one specific book but many. It is also a memory that is added to constantly. We have an hour of reading time a night. We all meet up in the living room, some by Skype, and read our own books together. Occasionally someone will share a quote or a laugh from what they are reading. It is a favorite time that all of us try not to miss even if we are far away.

message 14: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Now back to reading with Going Toe to Mistletoe (A Sapphire Falls Kindle World Novella) by Rachelle Ayala

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) Go Reader Go!!!! Hope you are enjoying all of your books.

Keep reading and have fun :)

message 16: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Thank you so much! I am having so much fun! I'm already looking forward to doing it again.

message 17: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments I have to catch up the mini challenges, if I can lol. Here is the Mid-Event Survey though.

1. What are you reading right now? Spooky Sweet by Connie Shelton
2. How many books have you read so far? I finished 2
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? I like all my picks
4. Have you had many interruptions? They are my own making. I Got caught up in too much socializing. How did you deal with those? For the second half I am going to try to stay away from FB. Lol.
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? How much reading I have actually gotten in. How friendly and supportive strangers are. This is an amazing event!

message 18: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Mini challenge #8 Literary World Tour

I tried to comment on the blog but gave up after wasting 25 minutes trying to get WordPress to accept the comment. I have no idea if it took any comments I wrote. I gave up. Here is my answer.

I would love to visit Avalon, (The Mist of Avalon), then go to Avonlea, (Anne of Green Gables). From there I would go spooky with Dracula's Castle, (Dracula), and then calm down in Christmas Town, Maine, (Christmas, Actually). By then I would be ready for Salem Massachusetts, (Salem Witch Trials), ending with a visit to Whiskey Creek, (Whiskey Creek Series by Brenda Novak). Then back to the place I love most, home surrounded by love. Plus my town, Juneau Alaska is awesome to me. I would love to visit Scotland and also spend time exploring Europe.

message 19: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Mini challenge #9 Cast Your Book

I'm going to pass on this one. I'm not good with actors names. Lol.

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 707 comments I love seeing all your mini-challenge answers (even if you don't do them like #9). Keep up the good work!

message 21: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Hour 15 5Minute Get Up and Move

I took Zoey for a walk to the gas station. They gave her a dog biscuit. All the way home she kept barking about how great you are. I was feeling, as the young ones say, so jelly that I took extra minutes to play keep the mummy away with her. She loves me again so I can return to reading now. Haha.
This was both fun and needed.

message 22: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Thank you Kathryn. I have missed a few. Tomorrow I may come back and figure those out just for fun. Lol.

message 23: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Hour 19

My favorite that I finished was The Witcher Chime by Amity Green

The one I recommended was Asylum (Asylum, #1) by Madeleine Roux

I finally got to leave the comments but under my middle name, Cristina. Go figure. Lol

Colona Public Library (colonapubliclibrary) | 197 comments Yes, first read-a-thons are awesome! It's such an awesome community. Nice progress you've made! ~Ashley

message 25: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Thank you Ashley! I would have probably gotten further but I have been trying to cheer a lot on Twitter. Lol.
I have had an amazing amount of fun with this!

message 26: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments I finished 3 books, did some of the challenges, (might do more when I can think), met a lot of awesome people, heard about some amazing books to read, saw some familiar ones, cheered people on, had incredible fun and made it through! I totally am amazed! Lol.

Thank you to everyone who put this together and worked so hard on it. You are all phenomenal.
Great job to all who participated. Regardless of how much time you could put in or how many books you read, you made the choice to read. You are a winner.

If you see me around let me know how you are and what your reading. If you need encouragement for something, I'm on Twitter the most , (@AlaskanBookCafe).

I can't wait to do this again. I hope to see you all next time!

message 27: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments I hope I have this right. I'm so challenged! I am suppose to use this thread for the spring readathon correct?

message 28: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments I'm starting with The Ladybug Jinx (Grandberry Falls, #1) by Tonya Kappes
I'm so excited!

message 29: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Mini Challenge 1
1. Juneau Alaska USA. Starting time was 4 am
2. I read by mood so I don't really know which I am looking forward to the most. I'm just kind of hoping to stay with the TBR books I picked.
3. Pelmeni my guy is bringing me later from the Russian place in town. It is amazing!
4. I'm a grandma but far from my family. It is me and my furbaby reading today.
5. Reading more and social media less. lol

message 30: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 504 comments 4:00 a.m! That's a tough starting time. Looks like you're doing great so far. You and your furbaby enjoy!

message 31: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments The Storybook Project (http://www.lssi.org/prisoner-family-m...)

Also, though maybe not non-profit, are local classroom libraries, alternative high schools and GED programs for adults wanting to improve reading skills.

message 32: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Just finished my first book, The Ladybug Jinx.
It was a fun, clean romance.

I am choosing to read the next book in the series, Happy New Life (Grandberry Falls, #2) by Tonya Kappes

I am trying to focus on my reading so I probably won't be doing all of the mini challenges this time.

message 33: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Finished Happy New Life

Next up the last book in the series Never Tell Your Dreams (Grandberry Falls, #3) by Tonya Kappes

still getting distracted. ugh.

Colona Public Library (colonapubliclibrary) | 197 comments How is your readathon going? ~Ashley

message 35: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Colona Public Library wrote: "How is your readathon going? ~Ashley"

Hi Ashley,
I have just finished the third book, completing that series! I am enjoying it so much. Thank you for checking in with me! I hope you are enjoying the readathon too.

message 36: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments I just finished Never Tell Your Dreams

Now I am taking a moment to decide kindle, paper or audio while I run to the gas station for chocolate and a treat for Zoey. Our gas station gives her a big dog biscuit so she loves going there.

I will update in a moment with my next choice.

message 37: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments We decided to go with an audible pick that will keep away sleep. LOL. For the next hour we will listen to The Undead Deleted Scene by R.R. Haywood

message 38: by Daisey (new)

Daisey | 68 comments Sounds like you've had a pretty good day so far. Keep enjoying the books! :)

message 39: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Finished The Undead: Deleted Scene
It was okay. Lots of cussing, a few funny places.

We are going back to Tonya Kappes though with A Charming Crime (Magical Cure Mystery, #1) by Tonya Kappes

message 40: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Daisey wrote: "Sounds like you've had a pretty good day so far. Keep enjoying the books! :)"

Thank you so much Daisey! I hope you are enjoying the day. I love the Joe Hill book you are reading.

message 41: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Listening to the audiobook version so I could look at some of the challenges.

Hour 19 challenge was what book you would give to a stranger.
The book I would, and have, give is not well known outside of Alaska but is a truly amazing story. It is Two Old Women An Alaskan Legend of Betrayal, Courage and Survival by Velma Wallis
Two Old Women: An Alaskan Legend of Betrayal by Velma Wallis.

message 42: by Wulfwyn (last edited Apr 30, 2017 05:01AM) (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments With 4 hours left I'm drooping. I need to switch out to something that will scare me awake. Lol. I made it to chapter 18 of A Charming Crime. I will easily finish it tomorrow.

But for now I'm going to try Darcy Coates The Haunting of Ashburn House.
The Haunting of Ashburn House by Darcy Coates

message 43: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments I'm enjoying this pick. I was feeling sleepy but now I'm afraid I'm going to want to keep reading. Lol.

message 44: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Closing Survey!
1. Which hour was most daunting for you? I think 20
2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a reader engaged for next year? I am somewhat brain dead.
3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next season? I enjoyed it
4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? I thought it was all good. I didn't really do the mini challenges because I was trying to read more.
5. How many books did you read? 4 Completed with 2 more read partially. I could have read 5 but I got sleepy so I changed genres with less than a hundred pages to go!
6. What were the names of the books you read? The Ladybug Jinx, Happy New Life, Never Tell Your Dreams, The Undead: Deleted Scene, A Charming Crime, The Haunting of Ashburn House
7. Which book did you enjoy most? The Haunting of Ashburn House
8. Which did you enjoy least? The Undead: Deleted Scene
9. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? Definitely. Reader for sure. Not sure about the rest as it depends on my health.

message 45: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments I'm tired but totally awake. Lol.

In addition to completed books I read but did not finish:

227 pages of A Charming Crime
102 pages of The Haunting of Ashburn House

message 46: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments I forgot I had this thread and haven’t used it in a long time. I am lousy at updating, especially hourly, as I much prefer reading as much as I can and then updating things after. I’m going to try harder this year to update more often. I have usually managed to do all 24 hours but this year I am still not up to par with my health. Among my issues is a new diagnosis of diabetes so I may have to manage some naps along with healthier snacking and some exercise breaks. I’m still going to try for it as hard as I can. I am trying for going by my readathon TBR but I am a whim reader. My readathon TBR is going to have more books than I can read in it to accommodate my mood reading. I have already started my bookshelf. I’m super excited that the readathon will start the day after my birthday so it will feel festive to me. Haha. Happy reading everyone!

message 47: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1761 comments Wulfwyn wrote: "I forgot I had this thread and haven’t used it in a long time. I am lousy at updating, especially hourly, as I much prefer reading as much as I can and then updating things after. I’m going to try ..."

Yay fun birthday plans of reading! lol. I do 4-hour updates and that's enough for me. It's too easy to get sucked into the GR notifications! lol. I've never made it the 24 hours and I never will. I love sleep too much.

message 48: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments First book I’m starting with is to finish one of the two books I had open.
Murder's a Witch
Ghosts of Salem: Haunts of the Witch City
I had hoped to finish yesterday but with my birthday things didn’t go in that direction. Haha. I’m excited.

message 49: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments Opening Survey!

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Juneau Alaska USA
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
Maybe The Sanatorium by Sarah Pearse
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
Cheese always the cheese haha
4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
This year I’ve been pretty sick so I am going to try to do it all but am expecting to look a lot different.
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
I will probably need a nap somewhere.

message 50: by Wulfwyn (new)

Wulfwyn  (alaskanbookcafe) | 58 comments So far finished up Murder's a Witch (Beechwood Harbor Magic Mystery, #1) by Danielle Garrett Ghosts of Salem Haunts of the Witch City by Sam Baltrusis The Redwood Asylum A Paranormal Horror by L.A. Detwiler and Caitlin's Cow Wash (A Creative Hearts Sweet Romance, #2) by Cricket Rohman
Now rereading Anne of Green Gables A Graphic Novel by Mariah Marsden for a bingo.
Up next The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison for the oldest on my TBR bingo square.

« previous 1