You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Team A, Auntie Em's Troops

Comments Showing 1-50 of 174 (174 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Oct 22, 2016 07:55AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments Team A

Camilla
Debra
Janice
Lara
Liz
Mariab
Rusalka
Sarah
Valerie

Welcome to Team A! Woot!

I hope everyone is ready to read up a storm over the next week.

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Oct 22, 2016 11:49AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments Scoring details:

Each book read will be worth 10 points.

Extra points
5 extra points if the book is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
5 extra points if the MC is named Dorothy.
5 extra points if the book is Halloween related.
5 extra points is the shoes are red.

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments reserved

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments I've been gophering but still need to decide which books I want to read and in what order.

How is everyone else doing?

message 5: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Hey team! I have a lot of options but not sure where I'll start yet. I'm tempted by a short horror book as we have Halloween coming up. I might be awol over the weekend as I have lots to do but will check in each evening.

message 6: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Hi!

message 7: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 228 comments Just realized this started today but luckily I'm doing the Dewey's 24 hour readathon today so I'll hopefully get a good start :)

message 8: by Liz (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) | 504 comments Hi all! Happy reading! :)

message 9: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments It starts in just over an hour (12:00 est), and I have to work today.

We should come up with a team name. Does anyone have any ideas? It would be cool if we could find something relating to wizard of oz.

message 10: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments It hasn't started yet Valerie. It's starts at noon EDT which is another hour and fifteen minutes away Great to be able to combine challenges though!

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments Oops, and here I'm thinking we're all back to standard time, but your right, Sarah. It's still daylight savings time.

message 12: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments It is until the end of the month I believe, at least here anyway.

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments It switches over here on Nov 6.

message 14: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Hi team. I'll be reading a lot of horror this week!

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments How about "Auntie Em's Troopers" for a name?

message 16: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17050 comments I like it, Janice. The best I could come up with was a play on a character name that according to google wasn't in the Wizard of Oz. I am now going to bed thoroughly confused.

A quick gopher says I can read:
Children's book
Book with wizards
Mystery
Fantasy
YA
Classic

I will probably read 3 books this week. Maybe 4 if we are lucky. We probably won't be.

Read like the wind people! I am going to bed as it is 2am. See you in the morning and excited to see how many things we have already accomplished in my sleep!

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments Good night Rusalka! Have a great sleep and chat with you when you wake up.

message 18: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments I've decided on 4 titles that I think are doable:

Set between 1900 and 1950:
► - Playing with Fire (1930), audiobook, 6:56 hrs

Read a book with a character that is a student:
► - On the Jellicoe Road, audiobook, 8:53 hrs
intelligence.

Read a romance:
► - Once Burned, Kindle, 346 pgs (romance)

Read a book about a family:
► - No Way to Run: A Mother and Son Story of Surviving Abuse, dtb, 214 pgs

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments Just over half an hour to open those books and start reading! Unfortunately, I have to go to work, so it will be a couple of hours before I can check in. Maybe I can grab 1/2 hour at lunch to start reading.

Happy reading, and cook up a team name if you want something other than "Auntie Em's Troops".

message 20: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I like your name, Janice.

message 21: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments Okay, changed the name. Now I've really got to run. I'm really sorry but I'm scared I'm not going to meet urgent deadlines at work.

Can someone take on the role of cheerleader and rally the team?

message 22: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I'm starting with John Connolly The Gates. Horror and Young Adult.

message 23: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Janice wrote: "I've decided on 4 titles that I think are doable:

Set between 1900 and 1950:
► - Playing with Fire (1930), audiobook, 6:56 hrs

Read a book with a character that is a student:
► - ..."

Once burned is a quick read, Janice

message 24: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments I will read Non Fiction, I think...

message 25: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Good to see people are getting started. Sleep well Rusalka and I hope you get lots of work done Janice! I have some time this evening now as my partner is going out so I'll get started then with my reading and I'll be online more too.

message 27: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 228 comments I like the team name and the theme by the way- you know how little kids sometimes have a movie they will watch over and over and over? That was Wizard of Oz for me when I was little :)

Thanks for the heads up Sarah, I realized as soon as I posted that it didn't start until noon so sadly The Outsiders which I just finished didn't count.

I think I will try and read 3 books this week (especially since I will probably finish 1 just today in the readathon). Leaning towards 4:50 from Paddington by Agatha Christie (mystery), or The Gunslinger by Stephen King next. Would The Gunslinger count as horror? I know it's Stephen King but I've heard it's not like his typical books. If not, there's a crow on the cover so...wild animal?

message 28: by Debra (last edited Oct 22, 2016 10:21AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Valerie, The Gunslinger can be used for fantasy or horror. There is also a crow in the book. Enjoy!

message 29: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Hi Troopers! I just got home so I'm going to do a bit of planning and then start reading. I can probably read 2-3 books this week given other responsibilities.

message 30: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I'm not sure I'd class gunslinger as horror but definitely fits fantasy. Has the dark tower series been made in to a film or a tv series? I can't remember which now or so vn if it's been released yet.

I'm starting with A Head Full of Ghosts for horror. It will also work for the monthly challenge as the book I'm currently reading for that won't get read now because of the toppler. It's quite short so I'm hoping i will be able to squeeze another in too. I don't seem to have so many short books on my kindle at the moment. I need to buy some short toppler books before the next team one

message 31: by Debra (last edited Oct 22, 2016 10:55AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Sarah, I think they are calling the movie The Dark Tower, and it's not out yet.

Hope you like A Head Full of Ghosts. I gave it 5 stars.

message 32: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Thanks Debra. I need to hurry up and finish the series before it comes out. I ishing they weren't so chunky.

message 33: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments That's a shame about Outsiders Valerie!

message 34: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Yes, they are definitely chunksters, Sarah, but so good!

message 35: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Yes i have 3 done and more to go. Shame i can't say the same for toppler reads right now. ;-)

message 36: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Yes I saw you rated Head Full higy. I might comment over in your group about it when I'm done as i know you guys discussed it a few months back.

message 37: by Liz (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) | 504 comments Just added A Head Full of Ghosts to my library cue. It was already on my TBR, but I had forgotten about it. I'm next in line for the title, perhaps it will be available within the toppled time frame.

message 38: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I'm about 7% in to A Head Full of Ghosts. It's intriguing. Inlike the writing style. I had forgotten it was about possession. Possession stories tend to freak me out. And I'm home alone. I already had a bad dream last night, although not due to any books I'm reading. Fingers crossed I'll have better dreams tonight despite reading about ghoulish things.

message 39: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Scoring details, for reference:

Each book read will be worth 10 points.

Extra points
5 extra points if the book is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
5 extra points if the MC is named Dorothy.
5 extra points if the book is Halloween related.
5 extra points is the shoes are red.

So, anyone going to be reading The Wonderful Wizard of Oz?

So far the charecters in my book are called Rachel, Merry and Marjorie. Unless it's set around halloween then i dont think I'll be getting any extra points for it. It definitely doesn't have any red shows on the cover.

message 40: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments Mariab wrote: "Once burned is a quick read, Janice
..."

That's what I figured. :)

message 41: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments Sarah wrote: "Scoring details, for reference:..."

I've put the details into message two.

We need a scorekeeper. Is anyone willing to take on the task? I don't think it will be a tough one this time around.

I'd rather not do it myself since I'm scrambling with work.

message 42: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I'm pretty busy at the moment. I can score at a push but would prefer if someone else could do it. Any takers?

I think my book is going to be a quick read which is good.

message 43: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 228 comments Sarah and Debra- the movie (or miniseries? I don't remember either) coming out of The Dark Tower was one of my reasons for wanting to start reading it soon so that I can hopefully avoid spoilers! All I know is they cast Idris Elba as the gunslinger cause I saw a picture of him in costume. I'm 90 pages in and it is very strange but intriguing so far! Luckily this first one isn't too long, 300 pages.

message 44: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments I started my first book: Abducting Abby, which can be either romance or science fiction.

message 45: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Yes. I am curious about Idris Elba's casting. I do like him. He isn't how i imagined the gunslinger at all. But i think he'll be good. The first book is definitely themost confusing if i remember correctly.

The freakiness has just begun in my book. Eek!

message 46: by Liz (last edited Oct 22, 2016 12:50PM) (new)

Liz   (lizvegas) | 504 comments I can keep track of scoring. I'll start a reporting thread- doesn't look like this one is really going to need anything in terms of tracking, other than keeping track of points.

message 47: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments OK, I give in. I've put The Gunslinger on hold and hope it becomes available in time. I've heard too much and am ready to join the club :)

message 48: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments That's great Liz. Thanks for keeping score.

I hope you like it J'mom. Another on the quest for the Dark Tower!

message 49: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I'm a quarter of my way through my book. I might fit another half hour reading in before it's bed for me. I hope everyone is enjoying their reads.

message 50: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48687 comments I've packed it in for work. It's too frustrating and it's making me cranky. I'm going to put my feet up and dig into my first book, Playing with Fire.

I hope you enjoy The Dark Tower series, j'mom. Persevere through the first one. It can be less than stellar, but the rest of the series is awesome. The events in the first book are critical so you can't miss it out. One of these days I'm going to read the entire series again.

Liz, thanks for offering to keep score. :)

« previous 1 3 4