Ancient & Medieval Historical Fiction discussion

Monthly Group Reads > NOVEMBER 2016: Enemy of God by Bernard Cornwell

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (last edited Oct 21, 2016 10:43PM) (new)

Terri | 19505 comments Our November Group Read is book two in the Bernard Cornwell 'Arthur' trilogy, Enemy of God

We read book one, The Winter King, a while back, so if you want to read that one first, the discussion thread can be viewed here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
If you chose to read it before reading Enemy of God, you are more than welcome to post your thoughts on Winter King here or on that old thread.

message 2: by Rafael (last edited Oct 22, 2016 09:58PM) (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 151 comments I read it two years ago, all the trilogy at the same time so I am not sure what things happened in what book. But I liked this boo, all the three actually.

As the members posts here I will remember precisely the story.

message 3: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19505 comments I am trying to remember too. I can't. I remember no liking one or two very much. They are all well written though. I think some of the characters started to annoy me. I need to revisit my reviews to jog my memory.

message 4: by Rafael (last edited Oct 24, 2016 07:53AM) (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 151 comments I remember that I liked Guinevere, differently from Gwenhwyfar in Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon

message 5: by Nazzarena (new)

Nazzarena | 51 comments I remember nothing
LoL

message 6: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) Kate Quinn has a pretty good summary in her review …https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...?

I remember disliking Lancelot a lot.

message 7: by Ace (new)

Ace (aceonroam) There may be spoilers though for those who have not read it yet, beware.

message 8: by Alice (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) I would've loved to join this group read, but I'll be in Hong Kong for the greater part of November and the first week of December, and I'll be in "Chinese reading" mode - doing research for my next historical novel set in 17th century China. Well, I've added Enemy of God on my to-read list. The only other Arthurian novel on my list is John Steinbeck's The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights.

message 9: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (sbrittig) I just finished The Winter King today, and started on Enemy of God. As one who wishes the Arthurian legends were true, I experienced a bit of melancholy over the non-traditional portrayal of the usual characters. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the story and am looking forward to getting into book two.

message 10: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 151 comments Even knowing how the history would happen I keep expecting the victory for the celtic during the trilogy. I guess I always cheer for the weakest side.

message 11: by Margaret, Sherlockian Sheila (new)

Margaret (margyw) | 3299 comments Rafael wrote: "I remember that I liked Guinevere, differently from Gwenhwyfar in Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon"

MZB's whiny Gwnehwyfar annoyed the hell out of me.

message 12: by Msjodi777 (new)

Msjodi777 | 38 comments Margaret wrote: "MZB's whiny Gwnehwyfar annoyed the hell out of me."

Have you read Mercedes Lackey's Gwenhwyfar: The White Spirit? I liked that one much better than MZB's book... though, if I were completely honest, since I read The Mists of Avalon when it first came out, I really liked it then, but Lackey's book made Gwenhwyfar much more believable. Still trying to get into The Winter King... started it when I was in the hospital the other nite, but just couldn't stay awake for it - probably due to the stress on the old ticker. But I do love Cornwell's books, and I liked what I did hear in this one, so I am not giving up... just waiting till I have more energy. <><

message 13: by Margaret, Sherlockian Sheila (new)

Margaret (margyw) | 3299 comments Oh yes. I've read Mercedes' book. It was excellent.

message 14: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 151 comments Margaret wrote: "Rafael wrote: "I remember that I liked Guinevere, differently from Gwenhwyfar in Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon"

MZB's whiny Gwnehwyfar annoyed the hell out of me."

When I was reading it I often expects her death or her suffering. She always are wanting the worse for non-christians. She was pure evil, though the Guinevere by Cornwell was a more sympathetic (?) character.

message 15: by Terri, Wyrd bið ful aræd (new)

Terri | 19505 comments Rafael wrote: "Even knowing how the history would happen I keep expecting the victory for the celtic during the trilogy. I guess I always cheer for the weakest side."

Me too. I have the same problem in Cornwell's saxon series. I am always cheering for the Norse, but things are never going to turn out well for them.

message 16: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 151 comments <3

Me too. hehe

How would be our world if the Danish have conquered England? Probably USA and Australia would not exist. Without England the Normans would not exist too (they were descendants from Norse origin), "England" and "France" would be one nation? Without France there was not exists a Napoleon to overthrown Europe, make the royal portuguese family fly to Brazil, probably there was not Brazil too.

Men, I want to read this alternate futuristic novel.

message 17: by David (new)

David Anderson | 5 comments Terri wrote: "Our November Group Read is book two in the Bernard Cornwell 'Arthur' trilogy, Enemy of God

We read book one, The Winter King, a while back, so if you want to read that one first, t..."

Great pick! I liked the Saxon series pick a few months ago but loved this. I see a lot of Cornwell books in my reading future.