You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > Team Be a Flying Monkey!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2615 comments Team B, it's time to get set. We need a name. Best? Beautiful? Booklovers? Beatific? Let's get more suggestions here.

message 2: by Lori Z (last edited Oct 21, 2016 09:50PM) (new)

Lori Z | 1818 comments Thanks for getting us started, Casceil!
Hmmm, names? All your B words sound good. I was trying to think of something Wizard of Oz related, like Team Yellow Brick or Bauminites, or Book Brainiacs, not too good but just throwing stuff out there.
Anyway, can't wait to topple with you all!
Also, just saw more tasks were added, I might have to do more gophering!

message 3: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2615 comments Baum's Team?

message 4: by Ariane (new)

Ariane | 697 comments Hi! I was thinking of something related to Oz too, but as I don't know it, I'll read your propositions ;-)
I can't wait to start this one!! Have fun!

message 5: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments We could be Baum'sWizards (and do evil magic to the other teams), but I really would like something related to the flying monkeys (I'm really fixated on them).

message 6: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1818 comments Casceil wrote: "Baum's Team?"

I like that better than Bauminites, lol. Maybe B is for Baum?

Welcome Ariane! Glad to have you on board!

message 7: by Annette (new)

Annette Olsen | 205 comments Hello all! I like all of the names suggested, which probably isn't very helpful. B is for Baum is cute.

message 8: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1818 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "We could be Baum'sWizards (and do evil magic to the other teams), but I really would like something related to the flying monkeys (I'm really fixated on them)."

Hi Jaxnsmom!
Flying Monkey Bombers
Bananas for Flying Monkeys

Hi Annette!

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13196 comments Hi ladies! Just checking in and excited to get started. :) I'll have to try to think of a name too...

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Oct 22, 2016 05:47AM) (new)

Kristie | 13196 comments It's pretty simple, but we could just go with Baum's Flying Monkeys?

message 11: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1818 comments Love it, Kristie!

message 12: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2615 comments Bluebirds? As in "happy little bluebirds fly over the rainbow, why can't I?"

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13196 comments Ready to start!!! I'm on the road most of today, so I'm going to start with Cocaine Blues. It's a pretty short audio, so hopefully I'll be able to finish it today. Only 2 more minutes! Happy reading team!

message 14: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1818 comments Casceil wrote: "Bluebirds? As in "happy little bluebirds fly over the rainbow, why can't I?""

Oh, I like that one too!

Anyone feel like being scorekeeper? We'll need a reporting thread set up.

Happy toppler everyone!

message 15: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2615 comments One more possibility: "Be a Flying Monkey".

message 16: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1818 comments Starting off with Mystery of the Ivory Charm for Scarecrow's children's book. Hope to get through 3 or 4 this week we'll see how it goes.

message 17: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1818 comments Casceil, I think that one's my favorite, so far.

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (alynor) | 298 comments Hoping to read at least 3 this week. Starting now!

message 19: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2615 comments I'm starting with Take the Monkey and Run, the latest book in a series I follow. I bought it in the short window of time between when clues were first posted, and when the Toto category was clarified to be "a common animal." Are capuchin monkeys "common" do you think? If not, I can count the book as a mystery. Wasn't there a small monkey in the Wizard of Oz?

message 20: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1818 comments Welcome Sharon!

Casceil, I don't think it would fall under common animal but if it's picture is on the cover it could be used for the Cowardly Lion task.

message 21: by Pragya (last edited Oct 22, 2016 12:01PM) (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments Hey y'all. I am here. Starting The Vow: The Kim and Krickitt Carpenter Story for book to movie category.

message 22: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Casceil wrote: "I'm starting with Take the Monkey and Run, the latest book in a series I follow. I bought it in the short window of time between when clues were first posted, and when the Toto cate..."

Your book confused me for a moment. There's another series where the first book is Take the Monkeys and Run. Your monkey counts as either a mystery or Cowardly Lion.

Your book is further indication that our name should be "Be a Flying Monkey". ☺

message 23: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments Casceil wrote: "I'm starting with Take the Monkey and Run, the latest book in a series I follow. I bought it in the short window of time between when clues were first posted, and when the Toto cate..."

That's such a funny name for a book. I wonder what was the author thinking!

message 24: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1818 comments Hi Pragya! Glad you're here!

message 25: by Annette (new)

Annette Olsen | 205 comments Alright. I'm starting Burying the Honeysuckle Girls...should count for either family or mystery. Do we have a reporting thread yet?

message 26: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2615 comments We do not have a reporting thread yet. Would someone like to start one?

message 27: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Oct 22, 2016 01:26PM) (new)

Kristie | 13196 comments I'll set one up now. Have we decided on a name yet?

message 28: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13196 comments All set! Thread is here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I used the flying monkeys concept for it, since we seem to be leaning in that direction, but I can easily change it if we decide on something else.

message 29: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1818 comments Kristie wrote: "All set! Thread is here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I used the flying monkeys concept for it, since we seem to be leaning in that direction, but I ..."

That will work Kristie, thank you!
Be a flying monkey gets my vote.

message 30: by Annette (new)

Annette Olsen | 205 comments I love Be a Flying Monkey!

message 31: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13196 comments That works for me.

message 32: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13196 comments I will be finishing Cocaine Blues for the set in 1900-1950 task today and starting The Coincidence of Coconut Cake for the romance task.

message 33: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Casceil, can you change the team name?

message 34: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2615 comments Done.

message 35: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Hey, everybody! This looks like fun. I've just finished up with Haunted Destiny which could count for either mystery or romance. I'm off to check my shelves to see which way to go next.

message 36: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13196 comments I finished Cocaine Blues and just started The Coincidence of Coconut Cake. I probably won't get too far tonight. I'm too tired to stay awake.

message 37: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2615 comments I am about half way through my first book, but I need to get some sleep. With any luck I hope to finish it tomorrow. Sweet dreams, everyone.

message 38: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1818 comments Finished my 1st book and reported it. It took me longer than expected cause I had unexpected company (not a fan of the pop-in).
Anyway, trying to decide on my next read and then off to bed.

message 39: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I think I'm about 2/3 through my book. I think this second mug of port might send me to bed before I finish it. I have to get some appropriate glasses for alcohol :)

message 40: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1818 comments Hey Jaxnsmom, since you're still up I have a question for you. I want to read Tropical Secrets: Holocaust Refugees in Cuba which is 208 pages but its in verse form so there's not a lot of text on each page, so I wanted to know if that would matter at all for a toppler.
Thanks and enjoy your port!

message 41: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I checked out the excerpt and I think at 208 pages there would be enough to meet the 150 page requirement. Based on the part I read, the language flows so well, especially considering the topic. How did you come across it?

message 42: by Lori Z (new)

Lori Z | 1818 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "I checked out the excerpt and I think at 208 pages there would be enough to meet the 150 page requirement. Based on the part I read, the language flows so well, especially considering the topic. Ho..."

I found it when looking for a book set in Cuba for the yearly challenge on the Goodreads list of settings. Unfortunately, my libraries didn't have it so I had to buy it for my Kindle, but from what I read in the preview I think it will be worth it.
Thanks for checking on it for me!

message 43: by jaxnsmom (last edited Oct 23, 2016 07:21AM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments I finished my first book, Sin and Sensibility, which I'm using for the If I Were Kong of the Forest task. Several dukes and lots of earls.

I'm 1/3 of the way through That Old Flame of Mine for a mystery.

message 44: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Thanks Kristie for being our scorekeeper!

photo oz score_zpstl33ohqb.jpg

message 45: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13196 comments You're welcome. It's no trouble. :) Do I need to keep a record of books read or tasks, or just the points to report?

message 46: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Just the points.

message 47: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13196 comments jaxnsmom - I just realized that the book I read has a Dorothy as one of the main characters. She is not the MC though. She'd be more of a Dr. Watson to Holmes, if I had to make a comparison. She works for the MC. Does it count if it's a core character or does it need to me the central figure?

message 48: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13196 comments I've started a few too many books already, but I'm hoping to get through at least one pretty quickly and all by the week's end. I am currently reading:

Accidentally Overweight The 9 Elements That Will Help You Solve Your Weight-Loss Puzzle by Libby Weaver - nonfiction

On the Island (On the Island, #1) by Tracey Garvis-Graves - has a student

The Coincidence of Coconut Cake by Amy E. Reichert - romance

message 49: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Kristie wrote: "jaxnsmom - I just realized that the book I read has a Dorothy as one of the main characters. She is not the MC though. She'd be more of a Dr. Watson to Holmes, if I had to make a comparison. She w..."

My intent is for the character to be at least a secondary character, but not necessarily the MC.

message 50: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments jaxnsmom - I read The Immortals which has a college professor as a main character thinking it could work for the Scarecrow task then I went back and saw that it read student instead. Any leeway on that one?

« previous 1 3