Barlow College Reading Fall 2016 discussion

Self revelation

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate DiBella | 28 comments I'm just about done reading a classic challenge book called Siddartha which is a all about becoming yourself by giving up all material objects. If you had to give up one thing for the rest of your life, what could you do without?

message 2: by Margot (new)

Margot Astorino | 29 comments If we are talking about giving up something I immediately thing of something material, like giving up having a cup of coffee every morning, or not using a smart phone. However, I think it would be harder to give up something like meaningful conversations or a good night's rest. So what's harder: giving up something material or something that isn't an object?

message 3: by Eva (new)

Eva Leslie | 54 comments If I had to give up one thing for the rest of my life, one thing I could do without, is Netflix. I feel that Netflix consumes an unnecessary amount of time in my life, and if I give it up for the rest of my life I could spend it doing more meaningful and productive things. To answer Margot's question: I think it is harder to give up something that isn't a material because those things have made up some of the most important moments in my life.

message 4: by Lilian (new)

Lilian | 41 comments If I had to give up one thing for the rest of my life, I think of something thats not meaningful or something that I can live without. For example, I would gave up ordering Chinese food once a week, because then I could try more new foods. But on the other hand, If I would have to gave up eating Chinese food for my whole life that would be hard to do.

message 5: by Maya (new)

Maya Greene | 11 comments kate, is that book good? just from the small description you gave it sounds pretty interesting. i am looking for a new book soon so i might try that one out. i have an answer to your question now, but i would like to read that to see if my answer changes.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate DiBella | 28 comments The book was okay it really got you thinking, but who you are and what you like definitely play a role when it comes to this book. If you aren't into spiritual stuff and having to think while you read, you aren't going to like it. If you are though it's a great book and a great way to bring a challenge/classic book into your reading.