A Good Thriller discussion

The Magpies (The Magpies, #1)
This topic is about The Magpies
PIFM - Archive > Buddy Read for The Magpies Oct.21st

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mary Beth  | 735 comments Perri and I are doing a Buddy Read of The Magpies. Everyone is welcome to join.

Christine (clt04) | 5649 comments A great choice for a buddy read you guys! A few of us buddy read it last year and had a ball!

Perri well the prologue is chilling. I feel for his new couple

Mary Beth  | 735 comments I feel the same way Perri! It is so sad! I am now starting chapter 1.

Christine can you believe it, I am finally starting it! I know its going to be good because it was your review that got me to read it! Better late than never.

Mary Beth  | 735 comments I read to the end of chapter 3. It is so creepy! They think that they just received (view spoiler) Muahahaha!

Perri Mary wrote: "I read to the end of chapter 3. It is so creepy! They think that they just received [spoilers removed] Muahahaha!"

Me too. Is it the upstairs neighbors or the downstairs?

Mary Beth  | 735 comments It happened to the couple that just moved in but the neighbors all seem to be a little off, especially Lucy!

message 8: by Janet , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janet  | 5752 comments Mod
Enjoy, ladies! I read it a while ago. :)

Perri Mary wrote: "It happened to the couple that just moved in but the neighbors all seem to be a little off, especially Lucy!"

Yeah, that's what I mean. The couple upstairs and downstairs are a little strange. Maybe the whole house is a psycho house with the "thrill" of tormenting the newcomers!

Janet, are flats when the carve up a house by levels? Is this because housing costs are high in London? This would NOT be my dream place sandwiched between people. Trying to imagine raising kids there...

message 10: by Janet , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes, that's what flats are. Sometimes purpose built that way, sometimes houses that have been converted. Another word for apartments.

message 11: by Sean, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean Peters | 9523 comments Mod
A great book, I really enjoyed this book.

Brenda | 3213 comments I'm going to lurk again. I've read the book and I'm interested in your commentary.

Mary Beth  | 735 comments I am becoming to believe what Lucy told Kirsty about what Mary is, is true! I dont trust Mary at all, but then again I dont think I trust any of the characters. Also it is disgusting what Kirsty and Jamie find on their doorstep every morning. Eeew! Then what happened to Paul, my gosh! I am really loving this book. Its a great Halloween read! Perri I agree it does seem like a Psycho House.

Glad you liked it Janet and Paul!
Uhoh Brenda last time you commented like that I didnt end up liking the book. I couldnt even finish it. I know it wont happen to this one though it has me intrigued.

message 14: by Mary Beth (last edited Oct 22, 2016 09:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary Beth  | 735 comments Alright I read to the end of chapter 15. (view spoiler)

Perri I just finished Ch 7 . I was thinking how they love this house and it was such a good bargain to explain why they will stick increasingly bizarre events out. Like people who move into a haunted house and I'f be outta there first haunting!

Mary Beth  | 735 comments I agree that the house is haunted and I am with you, I would not stay. It gets a lot worse. I am still at the end of chapter 15 and probably wont get any farther until later tonight. It is so freaky everything that both of them have (view spoiler)

Perri Finished chapter 22. (view spoiler)

message 18: by Mary Beth (last edited Oct 24, 2016 03:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary Beth  | 735 comments I am totally speechless, I do not know what is going on! What Creepy neighbors. End of chapter 27. (view spoiler)

Perri Although, I didn't like the book as much as you , it's been a blast reading this with you Mary, A very cool read this close to Halloween. I like these online buddy reads! Here is my review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Mary Beth  | 735 comments I thought it was a blast also. We will have to do another buddy read!
I am sorry you didnt like it so much but thats whats so great about goodreads, we all like different books. Hopefully the next one will be a lot better for you.

Brenda | 3213 comments As a lurker, I've enjoyed this thread, Mary and Perri. It was interesting to see your takes on this book compared to my reaction. You both mentioned things that I agree with, but I rated the book a lot lower. I just thought it was a terrible book and turned me off Mark Edwards.

message 23: by Christy (new) - added it

Christy | 55 comments I have this book...but have been putting it off because of many negative comments .....I've only read Follow You Home, and plan to read others, but I'm just not sure about this one...wasn't it his first?

Mary Beth  | 735 comments Brenda I am happy that you enjoyed yourself lurking! It really was a fun buddy read. I am sorry that you didnt like it.

Christy I loved it! There are a lot of mixed reviews though. It seemed people either loved it or hated it.

message 25: by Christy (new) - added it

Christy | 55 comments Mary wrote: "Brenda I am happy that you enjoyed yourself lurking! It really was a fun buddy read. I am sorry that you didnt like it.

Christy I loved it! There are a lot of mixed reviews though. It seemed peopl..."

I can give it a go...I have it after all....and the one I read already

Perri Christy wrote: "Mary wrote: "Brenda I am happy that you enjoyed yourself lurking! It really was a fun buddy read. I am sorry that you didnt like it.

Christy I loved it! There are a lot of mixed reviews though. It..."

It's a fast read-a page turner!

message 27: by Christy (new) - added it

Christy | 55 comments Perri wrote: "Christy wrote: "Mary wrote: "Brenda I am happy that you enjoyed yourself lurking! It really was a fun buddy read. I am sorry that you didnt like it.

Christy I loved it! There are a lot of mixed re..."

Alright....I will try it :)

message 28: by Sean, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sean Peters | 9523 comments Mod
well, we are all different, I enjoyed the book.

Gave it, if I remember four stars.

I also have Follow You Home

message 29: by Janet , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I would say it's not one of Mark's better ones. I think it was his first as a solo writer but I can honestly say his writing has much improved and I've enjoyed his later works much more.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8111 comments I read Magpies last year and was quite creeped out by sections but the girlfriend really pissed me off at the end.