YA LGBT Books discussion

Archived BOM Nominations > November 2016 Book of the Month - Gay MC - POLL up - go vote

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (last edited Oct 31, 2016 08:42PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments In this thread please nominate books with gay, cis-male main character(s) that are suitable for an under-18 audience and not a previous selection. Please each member only nominate one book for any given month.

Anything we haven't already read is welcome - it need not be a new release. Check our book-of-the-month bookshelf https://www.goodreads.com/group/books... if you are wondering whether a book has already been read by the group.

Ideally please post a link to the book, copy the blurb if you can, and give us a few words about why you think this would be a good choice. If it has edgy or potentially 16+ content please also note that - we'd be happy to have it on the list, but want members to be aware. Remember that books do have to be appropriate for an under-18 readership.

Books that lost a previous vote are welcome to be nominated again in another month.

New rules ask that authors do not nominate their own stories, please.

We will close nominations when there are 8 books nominated or Midnight Oct 29th.

Nominations are now closed - poll is here - https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Vote through November 5.

message 2: by Julia (new)

Julia Ember (jules_chronicle) | 42 comments I'd like to recommend Hold by Rachel Davidson Leigh .

It just came out a few days ago and I'm very excited to read it.

message 3: by Carrie-Anne (last edited Oct 23, 2016 08:48AM) (new)

Carrie-Anne | 99 comments More Happy Than Not More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera

I've had this on my 'to read' list for a while now and I finally have the book! I'm sure most people have heard of this book (and probably already read it) but here's the blurb anyway.

In the months after his father's suicide, it's been tough for 16-year-old Aaron Soto to find happiness again--but he's still gunning for it. With the support of his girlfriend Genevieve and his overworked mom, he's slowly remembering what that might feel like. But grief and the smile-shaped scar on his wrist prevent him from forgetting completely.

When Genevieve leaves for a couple of weeks, Aaron spends all his time hanging out with this new guy, Thomas. Aaron's crew notices, and they're not exactly thrilled. But Aaron can't deny the happiness Thomas brings or how Thomas makes him feel safe from himself, despite the tensions their friendship is stirring with his girlfriend and friends. Since Aaron can't stay away from Thomas or turn off his newfound feelings for him, he considers turning to the Leteo Institute's revolutionary memory-alteration procedure to straighten himself out, even if it means forgetting who he truly is.

Why does happiness have to be so hard?

message 4: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments Silent Silent by Sara Alva by Sara Alva

Alex’s life as a teenager in South Central L.A. is far from perfect, but it’s his life, and he knows how to live it. He knows what role to play and what things to keep to himself. He’s got it all under control, until one lousy pair of shoes kicks him out of his world and lands him in a foster care group home.

Surrounded by strangers and trapped in a life where he could never belong, Alex turns to the only person lower on the social ladder than he is: a “special” mute boy. In Sebastian, Alex finds a safe place to store his secrets—those that sent him to foster care, and the deeper one that sets him apart from the other teenagers he knows. But Sebastian has secrets of his own, and when tragedy rips the two boys apart, Alex will stop at nothing to find the answers—even if it means dragging them both through a past full of wounds best left buried.

It might just be worth it, for the slim chance at love.

message 5: by Sammy Goode (new)

Sammy Goode | 5380 comments Oooh I've wanted to read this one!!!

message 6: by Mel (new)

Mel (melleach) Sammy Goode wrote: "Oooh I've wanted to read this one!!!"

Me too!!

message 7: by Darren (new)

Darren (dwite) | 359 comments I recently bought it, so yeah, me too!!

message 8: by Kaje (last edited Oct 31, 2016 08:41PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16516 comments Nominations are now closed - poll is here - https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Vote through November 5.