Into the Forest discussion

Books, Books, Books > The Djinn Falls in Love and Other Stories

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 4287 comments Mod
This looks very interesting! It's coming out in March 2017
Helen https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/178...

The Djinn Falls in Love and Other Stories
" A fascinating collection of new and classic tales of the fearsome Djinn, from bestselling, award-winning and breakthrough international writers.

Imagine a world filled with fierce, fiery beings, hiding in our shadows, in our dreams, under our skins. Eavesdropping and exploring; savaging our bodies, saving our souls. They are monsters, saviours, victims, childhood friends. Some have called them genies: these are the Djinn.

And they are everywhere. On street corners, behind the wheel of a taxi, in the chorus, between the pages of books. Every language has a word for them. Every culture knows their traditions. Every religion, every history has them hiding in their dark places.

There is no part of the world that does not know them.

They are the Djinn. They are among us.

With stories from: Nnedi Okorafor, Neil Gaiman, Amal El-Mohtar, Catherine King, Claire North, E.J. Swift, Hermes (trans. Robin Moger), Jamal Majoub, James Smythe, J.Y. Yang, Kamila Shamsie, Kirsty Logan, K.J. Parker, Kuzhali Manickavel, Maria Dahvana Headley, Monica Byrne, Nada Adel Sobhi, Saad Hossein, Sami Shah, Sophia Al-Maria and Usman Malik."

message 2: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 286 comments It certainly does. Maybe we should do a Djinn theme in 2017.

message 3: by Jalilah (new)

Shomeret wrote: "It certainly does. Maybe we should do a Djinn theme in 2017."

Absolutely!

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3494 comments Mod
I would love a Djinn theme.

And I've added the book. Thanks for sharing!

message 5: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Thanks for sharing! I've also added The Djinn Falls in Love and Other Stories.

message 6: by Monica (new)

Monica Davis Thanks, I see Neil Gaiman listed as an author. He's hit or miss for me , so interested in what he writes here.

message 7: by Jalilah (new)

Monica wrote: "Thanks, I see Neil Gaiman listed as an author. He's hit or miss for me , so interested in what he writes here."

He is hit or miss for me too Monica. I loved the Ocean at the End of the lane but hated his Sandman series. American Gods was somewhere in between.
But there are a number of authors I like who contributed to this collection.

message 8: by Monica (new)

Monica Davis Lila (formerly Jalilah) wrote: "He is hit or miss for me too Monica. I loved the Ocean at the End of ..."

Loved "The Graveyard Book", a perfect read for the Halloween season; and "Neverwhere" was very good also. I was lukewarm on "Oceans at the End of the Lane", but it is very popular. Maybe I should re-read it at some point. I also didn't care much for "Good Omens".

message 9: by Margaret (new)

So this book is on Netgalley for request, for any Netgalley readers: https://s2.netgalley.com/catalog/book...

I was approved!

message 10: by Jalilah (last edited Dec 22, 2016 06:34AM) (new)

Margaret wrote: "So this book is on Netgalley for request, for any Netgalley readers: https://s2.netgalley.com/catalog/book...

I was approved!"

Lucky you! I really wish I could get into reading on an iPad-Kindle

message 11: by Monica (new)

Monica Davis Margaret, we're all waiting to hear how you liked the book after you've read it.

message 12: by Margaret (new)

I'll definitely let everyone know!

It will be mid to late January before I read it. I have a few on my kindle I need to read first.

message 13: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 829 comments Well when the book comes out in March, I imagine a few more of use will be active on this thread.

message 14: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 829 comments I was just approved for a copy of this at Netgalley! Hooray.

message 15: by Margaret (new)

Woo hoo!

message 16: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
Same!

message 17: by Margaret (new)

We'll have to all post here as we read!

I have 2 books on my kindle I need to read first.

message 18: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
Yep!
I've got 3 Netgalley books on my shelves at the moment - all books I want to read - so I really ought to read the other 2 first. (To The Bright Edge of the World and In Calabria)

message 19: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 829 comments I have In Calabria through Netgalley too.

message 20: by Margaret (new)

Just requested In Calabria!

I need to read Hogfather and Uncanny Magazine Issue 13: November/December 2016. Neither are Netgalley, but Hogfather is a library book, and I want to read the Uncanny issue before the next issue comes out.