What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Mazemaker
This topic is about Mazemaker
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA / Children's late 80s or early 90s about a teenager who finds a maze painted on the ground outside their school [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hallie (new)

Hallie | 15 comments I read a book in around 1993 about a teenager who finds a maze painted on the ground outside their school. The kid loves mazes so they walk through and solve it. When they reach the center they either travel through time or go to an alternate dimension.

That's all I can remember. Might have had Maze in the title...not sure.

Hulp!

message 2: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Mazemaker ?

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela | 433 comments Kirkus Reviews has a more detailed description of Mazemaker:

"Her mother and stepfather are preoccupied with a new baby, and there's nowhere to play in her crowded, graffiti-marked neighborhood, so Winnie (12) is at loose ends--till a mysterious maze appears outlined on a local playground/teen-hangout and she observes a cat disappear at its center. Herself a maze enthusiast, Winnie is intrigued; she dares to follow the cat's example and finds herself transported back 100 years--and hospitably taken in at the mansion that will be a nursing home in her 1989 neighborhood. Lily, a girl her age, is willing to believe Winnie's story; the maze is feared and avoided in the 19th century, though some people wish to make use of its power. Winnie becomes involved with these long-ago people; more important, she realizes how much she wants to go home, which she finally succeeds in doing. Once back, she is able to track down the mazemaker--a 17th-century man who had escaped a dire fate through the maze --and send him back to the 19th century, where he was loved and needed. Later, Winnie learns more in local historical archives, where she discovers a letter to her from Lily. Overlong, the novel drags a bit, and there are loose ends that serve no thematic purpose--e.g., why Winnie's mother refuses to discuss Winnie's dead father. However, the palpable sense of place (in both centuries), Winnie's believable reactions, and the intriguing device of the maze all contribute to making this enjoyable. (Kirkus Reviews, March 15, 1989)"

Sounds pretty close!

message 4: by Hallie (new)

Hallie | 15 comments Oh my good lord yes that's it!! This whole time I thought it was a male protagonist! You are my hero!!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mazemaker (other topics)